You are here

My Top 5 DAW Features & Functions

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: My Top 5 DAW Features & Functions

Postby blinddrew » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:44 pm

Thus are the best lessons learnt.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:52 pm

It was emotional! :lol:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, helping charities via music created by forum members.

Postby Rich Hanson » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:55 am

Was there much grinding of teeth involved? :D
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster

Postby Zukan » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:00 am

You Targ you!

I can't find 5 good reasons to use one DAW over another.

Dim I be, clever I be not.
Zukan

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:27 am

Rich Hanson wrote:Was there much grinding of teeth involved? :D

The lower lip protruded, toys were thrown :lol:

However, I'm starting to go from "argh" to "ahhh" now... the more I use it the more it's making sense. Track count is going up, workflow is going faster :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, helping charities via music created by forum members.

Re: Reason: My Top 5 DAW Features & Functions

Postby C.LYDE » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:42 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:
C.LYDE wrote:Passing thought ... most of us have more than 1 guitar, synth, mic etc - why not more than 1 DAW... ? :thumbup:

Brainpower undersupply, quite simply. :(

CC

:smirk: quite possibly ... having gotten my head around Roland W30s, Korg M1, fantoms, VS880s, AW4416s and all manner of hardware sequencing... no piece of software is daunting :lol: ... in fact I find it quite inspirational having to do things differently :ugeek:
C.LYDE
Regular

Postby ManFromGlass » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:18 pm

Good point. Or in the very least the different DAWs point out how you don’t want to work in spite of most of them being overly flexible.
For example - I have to deliver final mixes in ProTools. I have a great appreciation for the way it works even though I haven’t gone too deep into it.
It’s just not my style. Same on the iPad which I am now using professionally. Auria is very similar to ProTools but I also tried Cubasis. My brain likes Cubasis.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby DC-Choppah » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:09 am

Protools

1) Beat Detective
2) Tempo maps from live performances / Automatic conform to tempo map
3) Multi-Track comping
4) Key shortcuts for everything / macro automation
5) Audio editor / Elastic audio / Automatic cross-fade generation
6) Import/Export of anything from one session into another
7) Punch-in record mode / bus recording / printing all MIDI changes to audio instantly
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby awjoe » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:12 am

DC-Choppah wrote:Protools

1) Beat Detective

It finds the BPM? How is that useful?
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Fringe member of the Party Pooper People's Party

Postby DC-Choppah » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:18 pm

awjoe wrote:
DC-Choppah wrote:Protools

1) Beat Detective

It finds the BPM? How is that useful?

Hmmmm, I guess some don't know what beat detective does.

Beat detective frees your music from a rigid click track but still allows the audio to be quantized to the groove/feel. The quantized groove track can be derived from one of the performers with the best feel and the other audio locked on to that groove. Beat detective handles all the operations.

Basically beat detective has many steps to it that you can use in a sequence of operations to align real time audio to a human generated groove.

- Identification of the beats that establish the groove from a performance.
- Generation of a groove (tempo map) for the whole session.
- Conforming of a track to the groove by splitting it into zillions of micro-clips
- Aligning each micro-clip with varying amount of swing, etc.
- Automatically filling in of clips after aligning.
- Automate cross-fading and editing of the audio to put it back into a single audio clip.
- Aligning of both MIDI and audio to the same groove.

I suppose if Beat detective was added to a DAW now they would call it 'AI'. Back in the day it was just Beat Detective and shaped music history.

Beat Detective keeps the music human and with groove and feeling while allowing a grid-like editing process to line everything up.

The computer conforms to the human rather than the other way around.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:22 am

Does Reaper have anything like Beat Detective? I would find it very useful.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby OneWorld » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:30 pm

1. The Track Inspector in Cubase. When you click on one of the entries beneath - Track Version, Chords, Inserts etc, the controls fold away, so if I want to add an insert for example, and then go back to change the input for that track, or more to the point check the input source, I have to re-click right at the top to open the inputs again - why?

2. If I open an editor, say the MIDI editor, on a part, all the notes are left justified, why not have them placed in the middle of the screen?

3. Some way of zooming in/out vertically with a keyboard short cut as I can with zooming horizontally

4. Add custom buttons to the transport bar at the bottom of the screen (Cubase 10) there's a lot of grey space doing nothing

5. Get rid of the illegible grey on grey look in the audio editor. I have faffed about no end with the colour settings but simply cannot get the old black on white that it used to be, it worked fine, why change, which person is it that walks the earth that said I know what, let's change the screen so you can hardly make out the wave from the background. I read an article in the editorial of SOS some time ago by Paul White who also bemoaned this fad for grey on grey, and take a quick look at the SOS website and what do you see? Although admittedly it is easier to read than Cubase's editor screens

6. I would love to find out why I could happily work at 32 samples with Cubase 8.5 and the CPU had no problem whatsoever, Cubuase 10 makes it creak at the knees, I now have to work at 128 sample, yet all the settings are identical
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby desmond » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:39 pm

OneWorld wrote:I have to re-click right at the top to open the inputs again - why?

The thread is "your top 5 favourite features in your DAW", not "your top 5 gripes about your DAW"... :headbang:

OneWorld wrote:I read an article in the editorial of SOS some time ago by Paul White who also bemoaned this fad for grey on grey, and take a quick look at the SOS website and what do you see?

I see pretty much all black text on white backgrounds... I'm not sure what point you're making, here..?

It certainly isn't anything close to "dark mode" or Logic's interface in particular...

The forum has some very light grey highlight panels, that's about it...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby OneWorld » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:47 pm

desmond wrote:
OneWorld wrote:I have to re-click right at the top to open the inputs again - why?

The thread is "your top 5 favourite features in your DAW", not "your top 5 gripes about your DAW"... :headbang:

OneWorld wrote:I read an article in the editorial of SOS some time ago by Paul White who also bemoaned this fad for grey on grey, and take a quick look at the SOS website and what do you see?

I see pretty much all black text on white backgrounds... I'm not sure what point you're making, here..?

It certainly isn't anything close to "dark mode" or Logic's interface in particular...

I'll add you as number 7. Look back through your posts on this topic and tell me that every one is a 'top 5 feature' :-)
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby John Egan » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:18 pm

OneWorld wrote:
desmond wrote:

I'll add you as number 7. Look back through your posts on this topic and tell me that every one is a 'top 5 feature' :-)

This forum usually exhibits tolerance and good manners. This isn't.
Regards, John egan
John Egan
Regular

Previous