You are here

First Buchla module arrived yesterday...

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

First Buchla module arrived yesterday...

Postby Arpangel » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:03 am

It was a milestone moment, my hand was shaking as I took the box from the postman (post lady)
I haven't even unwrapped it yet, didn't have time. It's not new, I bought it secondhand, as I'm going to have to do with future modules. It's a boring utility module, attenuverters, offsets, and a mixer. Next up is going to be a Twisted Waveform Generator, then an Arbitrary Function Generator, then a Random/Filter. That's it, I'm stopping there.
These will compliment my Easel, and make me turn white through lack of sunshine.

:)
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Re: First Buchla module arrived yesterday...

Postby Folderol » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:10 am

Ha!
The fool thinks he can stop :lol: :bouncy:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Arpangel » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:17 am

Folderol wrote:Ha!
The fool thinks he can stop :lol: :bouncy:

But this isn't Eurorack, I "have to stop"
This is the trouble and I'm in a mind set of...this is an "expansion boat" for my Easel, not a synth in its own right, as soon as I start to think of it as a separate instrument then it gets out of control. I've got a four space boat, that's a limitation, and it's difficult to take it further once you've committed to this. I could buy a 3 row 15 space, but I'd be comiting myself to around £20,000 just to fill it. That's lunacy, even by my standards.
But this sound is addictive, I'd advise anyone contemplating Eurorack to think long and hard before spending on that format, just three Buchla modules will take you to places Eurorack can never take you. The sound is just beautiful, totally organic and natural if you want it to be. Abstract sounds are its forte, sure, but they aern't just bloops and beeps, the reason why so many abstract sound artists are drawn to the Buchla is that when it's making the most far out sounds they are so beautiful, just to sit there listening to, like being in a natural garden of sound.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:30 pm

Buchla case arriving next week.....only two Euro modules left in my basement, my beloved Noise Swash, and an LFO, I may frame the Noise Swash, it's a work of art.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:19 pm

:clap: :bouncy: :thumbup: 8-)

So you've only got a few days left of your normal life, before Buchladom takes over :beamup:

It's been great knowing you Tony - goodbye and thanks for all the fishy things you've said ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Arpangel » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:04 am

Martin Walker wrote::clap: :bouncy: :thumbup: 8-)

So you've only got a few days left of your normal life, before Buchladom takes over :beamup:

It's been great knowing you Tony - goodbye and thanks for all the fishy things you've said ;)

Martin

I know, I was playing my Easel last night, it's a living thing, just the feel of it. I got a sort of Irish dance reedy type sound that was darting all over the place when I held notes on the keyboard, just move the timbre slider and the whole character changes, that thing works, it's a perfect little all in one box, I'm worried that branching out into modules is going to be a bit of a let down, I've got to make sure I make good choices, and just give the Easel more power.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:24 pm

Arpangel wrote:I'm worried that branching out into modules is going to be a bit of a let down, I've got to make sure I make good choices, and just give the Easel more power.

I feel your concerns - sometimes a gear item just works so well by itself that it can be counter-productive to your performance to add further external features to it.

The very best of luck making your future choices :thumbup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Arpangel » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:08 pm

Martin Walker wrote:
Arpangel wrote:I'm worried that branching out into modules is going to be a bit of a let down, I've got to make sure I make good choices, and just give the Easel more power.

I feel your concerns - sometimes a gear item just works so well by itself that it can be counter-productive to your performance to add further external features to it.

The very best of luck making your future choices :thumbup:

Martin

Oh gawd, I've done it now. I may need a bigger case to make it a stand alone instrument....

:D
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:03 am

Second Buchla module arrives next week, a 259e, I've found a guy selling everything I need, but it's like torture, I can only afford one module, and having to let the others go that I need is terrible.

:(
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:43 am

Patience is a virtue with its own rewards Tony ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Arpangel » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:39 am

Martin Walker wrote:Patience is a virtue with its own rewards Tony ;)

Martin

I'm trying to do a deal, on a couple of modules, see how it works out.
Buchla isn't like Euro, you can't splurge, you have to think very carefully about each purchase. It's worth it though, came up with a great rhythm track on the Easel yesterday, record button was pushed.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:57 am

Also got my i Program card working yesterday, after two days trying. It's quite archaic, having to "blink" the wi-fi connection. I know all the pitfalls now, if any other members ever get a card. The trouble with a lot of Buchla stuff is that it already assumes a certain knowledge base, I think.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:19 pm

Arpangel wrote:...came up with a great rhythm track on the Easel yesterday, record button was pushed.

That last phrase changes your reply from interesting to a fist-pumping moment :thumbup:

If only we all had the record button pushed whenever something good came along :beamup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby blinddrew » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:23 pm

Martin Walker wrote:If only we all had the record button pushed whenever something good came along :beamup:
I find the easiest way to avoid this kind of conundrum is to make sure that I never write anything good... ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Arpangel » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:40 am

Martin Walker wrote:
Arpangel wrote:...came up with a great rhythm track on the Easel yesterday, record button was pushed.

That last phrase changes your reply from interesting to a fist-pumping moment :thumbup:

If only we all had the record button pushed whenever something good came along :beamup:

Martin

If I'm at home I'm in my studio, if I'm away I take my Easel with me, the suitcase format is great, and I always have my handy recorder with me, and a Roland Cube amp.
I also have the opposite of red button syndrome, unless I know I'm being recorded I can't really get into playing anything, it's like, what's the point?
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Folderol » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:17 am

Martin Walker wrote:

Martin
This!
So many times :(
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:45 am

This whole Buchla thing is a steep learning curve, It turns out that a module I bought isn't good to use with my system, it can damage things if used in the wrong way, which is difficult to avoid in my case. So money wasted :(
Buchla and it's clones assume a certain knowledge, and aren't so friendly as Eurorack.
I've learnt my lesson and will be sticking to Buchla E Series modules from now on.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Folderol » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:41 pm

Sorry to hear that. It's always disappointing when a bit of kit doesn't live up to expectations - disregarding the finances.
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:18 pm

Oh poo!! :thumbdown:
Martin Walker

Postby Arpangel » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:55 am

Martin Walker wrote:Oh poo!! :thumbdown:

Yes, in no uncertain terms. It turns out you can't mix some of older 200 series modules or some clones with the later E series. They put out negative voltages which can be damaging to E modules.
This whole scene is extremely nerdy, and it's just a given that you're some sort of electronics wizard too. My advice to anyone getting into Buchla is always stick to genuine Buchla modules, and cases, and don't stray into the dark world of clones, unless you really do know what you're up to.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Next