You are here

Higher latency in a particular project

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Re: Higher latency in a particular project

Postby desmond » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:22 pm

I can't think of anything project specific other than plugin latency which would cause the behaviour you describe.

It only take a few seconds to hit the low latency button and give it a try, then you'll know if plugins are the cause, or you can rule that out...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Ylan Sthlm » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:36 pm

desmond wrote:I can't think of anything project specific other than plugin latency which would cause the behaviour you describe.

It only take a few seconds to hit the low latency button and give it a try, then you'll know if plugins are the cause, or you can rule that out...

I'll do that next time, but do frozen tracks and turned off plugins still draw juice?

Humbly, Ylan
Ylan Sthlm
Poster

Postby desmond » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:44 pm

Ylan Sthlm wrote:I'll do that next time, but do frozen tracks and turned off plugins still draw juice?

Bypassed plugins can still induce latency, yes (this is likely so you can turn/automate bypass on and off while playing without causing clicks and dropouts).

You'd have to remove them completely (or use low latency mode) to drop the latency.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:22 pm

This brings back a memory of a similar problem I had. I think I fixed it by changing Plugin Latency Compensation.
This was many years ago but on the same computer. Or it might have happened because I changed the Process Buffer Range from medium to something else.
Sorry I can’t be more exact.
Plus this was 1 or 2 versions back of Logic.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby desmond » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:29 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:This brings back a memory of a similar problem I had. I think I fixed it by changing Plugin Latency Compensation.

Old versions of Logic only had audio track/instrument compensation, so plugins causing latency on busses would not be compensated for and mess the mix up.

Later versions included "All" mode, which has been the default for a long time.

Perhaps you only had audio/instrument PDC set, and need to change it to "All" for things to work correctly...

In any case, this is a global setting, and not a project specific one, so is unlikely to be the cause of the problem, unless this project is the only project the OP used latency inducing plugins on busses...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:53 pm

Yes, this would have been before the All option.
And sometimes, but very rarely, a song would get corrupted and unfixable so I would drag everything into a new song or uncorrupted template and all would be good again. But it sounds like this is not the case here.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Ylan Sthlm » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:07 pm

desmond wrote:
Ylan Sthlm wrote:I'll do that next time, but do frozen tracks and turned off plugins still draw juice?

Bypassed plugins can still induce latency, yes (this is likely so you can turn/automate bypass on and off while playing without causing clicks and dropouts).

You'd have to remove them completely (or use low latency mode) to drop the latency.

Cheers desmond!

I think you are right! Low Latency Mode did make a huge difference! I noticed it when the latency of my MIDI controller in my new project was way behind the timing, and that was a way simpler project.

Am learning something new every day, not least from my friends here! :ugeek:

Humbly, Ylan
Ylan Sthlm
Poster

Postby desmond » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:28 pm

Great, glad we got to the bottom of it... :thumbup:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:06 pm

I always learn something here. Sometimes it’s a very simple but important thing. Yesterday I spent hours going through YouTube’s and searching the web for manuals and other users who had the same problem as I on the iPad.

Problem - recording apps on the iPad weren’t seeing my healthy mic signal coming in from the interface. It always worked before.

My mistake + Solution - I shut off the mic input for all those programs in general settings, assuming Apple was talking about the mic in the iPad. I was trying to avoid any potential feedback problems. Seems Apple in their wisdom really meant ALL audio input, rather than just internal mic input. :headbang:
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ConcertinaChap » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:59 am

Kudos to a brave and helpful man :clap: :clap: :clap:

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby Ylan Sthlm » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:49 pm

I might have found another factor, and that is that I forgot to turn off the automatic back ups by Time Machine and Backblaze. Could this be a factor? Since that particular project needed low latency mode, but not any others.

Humbly, Ylan
Ylan Sthlm
Poster

Previous