You are here

Synth Cases for Live Setup and Transportation

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Re: Synth Cases for Live Setup and Transportation

Postby MarkyC » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:45 pm

Yep I think a board, cable ties and a soft case type thing is the way I'll go.
Get as much patched up as possible prior to setup.

Yep Elf, I'm very rusty at this stuff but I am that type of sad individual that I plan to book a rehearsal space, not to rehears playing but just setup, break down etc. over and over. Also the shock of hearing things loud for the first time can be very phasing! so I need to get over that one as well...

Ok so now for the next unforscene hiccup, whatever that may be :oops: :oops:
MarkyC
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:33 pm

MarkyC wrote:
Yep Elf, I'm very rusty at this stuff but I am that type of sad individual that I plan to book a rehearsal space, not to rehears playing but just setup, break down etc. over and over...
I think the term you're looking for is 'professional' not 'sad'... ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Music Wolf » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:02 pm

My guitar rig requires a little patching. I have to link my Helix to my VoiceLive via both audio and MIDI then there are outs to the PA and my 'back line' monitor. Of course all the connections are at the rear, Helix is on the floor (and my reading glasses fall off when I bend down) and it is invariable dark when we're setting up.

I have resorted to sticking coloured dots next to the appropriate sockets

Same colour at either end. All the inter-connecting cables are in the pocket of the Helix soft case.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby tomas » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:25 pm

For my Nord Stage 3, I was looking at a board to hold the volume pedal, a program up/down pedal, the Nord triple pedal and a pedal for the Leslie rotor speed. A guitar pedal board wouldn’t be optimal as I want my pedals on the floor. I solved it an aluminium bar supplied from a regular hardware store. I think it’s 30mm wide and 3mm thick; reasonably stiff and light weight. I sawed two lengths of the bar and rounded the edges with a metal file. I put nonslip pads on the undersides of the two strips. I mounted all the pedals with velcro tape. This stuff is great https://www.thomann.de/intl/thomann_pedal_board_tape.htm and I got a suitable softbag also from Thomann. Then I made a loom of the cables using wire ties. I used small pieces of heat-shrink tubing to colour code the cable ends near the plugs (I changed all plugs to matching 90 degree Neutrik plugs) and used matching coloured pieces of electrical tape just above the sockets on my keyboard.

My setup time is minimal and it looks very tidy as the loom goes along the ‘spine’ of my K&M Baby Spider stand. It’s a low cost & relatively low weight solution. I know this doesn’t directly correspond with what you want to do, but maybe it gives you some ideas?

MarkyC wrote:Also the shock of hearing things loud for the first time can be very phasing!

That it can be, indeed. Good luck! :)
tomas
Regular
cheers, t-:

Postby DanR » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:36 pm

AlecSp wrote:
At one end of the spectrum, you could do worse than to get a piece of plywood, paint it black, attach all your kit to it (cable ties through holes in the board, or strong velcro

Weight - don't underestimate the additional weight of the case

I ordered a sheet of 5mm black acrylic Perspex to attach my six keyboard pedals to from these guys:
https://www.theplasticpeople.co.uk/
I sized it so it would fit between my keyboard stand feet. Pedals are 2x Yamaha FC7, 2x Piano type sustain and 2x basic FX on/off.
Have used Velcro but the piano type pedals don’t grip so well due to the small rubber feet.
Also looking for a suitable bag/case for it. Certainly speeds up setup though having all pedals together.
I did look at PedalTrain for a solution but, as mentioned here, pedals need to be on the floor so not suitable.

Regarding weight, I’ve had quite a few cases made by Flightcasewarehouse and chose the lighter Astroboard option for a mixer case and Korg Triton case. Very strong and much lighter than hex ply
type.
Well pleased with mine.
DanR
Regular

Postby MarkyC » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:59 am

Thanks DanR,

Initially, I have gone for and aluminium board with an aluminium frame.
I'll rig it up and then see if I trust it (It seemed stronger and lighter than wood, but not sure about resilience)
The perspex idea is interesting alos, and not that expensive.
Interested in Flightcasewarehouse - have asked them for a quote as I'm suspecting the aluminium board may not be robust.

So thanks for the insight!

MarkyC!
MarkyC
Regular

Postby DanR » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:45 am

MarkyC wrote:
My setup would be (Bass station 2, Peak, TR8, Key-Largo to mix + orico usb powered hub to sync everything + plugs). On my table, after connecting everything, the foot print comes to about 90cmW x 70cmD x 9 cm high.

Just looking back at at this, do you want the whole lot on a board?
That’s gonna be big.
I’d certainly keep the Novation Peak seperate and maybe the Bass Station 2 aswell.
The other three items would be prewired on the board so all you need to do is
plug in one mains and the usb/audio leads.
DanR
Regular

Previous