You are here

Elextric Cello Looper

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Elextric Cello Looper

Postby WR » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:21 pm

Hey,

I'm looking for a loop station that includes around 3-4 loopers with special effects. Something with a relavtely easy user interface. Recording is a hobby of mine. what is the best amp to use? I have a Line 6 spider III amp.
WR

Re: Elextric Cello Looper

Postby Arpangel » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:49 pm

Boss RC505 looper ticks all your boxes.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uX9W87DdYlE
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:57 pm

The 505 is a desktop unit, as a cellist do you need a foot controlled looper? If so the RC300 is the floor pedal equivalent, it has slightly different features but is near enough the same.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby WR » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:32 pm

Yes, I need a foot controlled looper. Preferably for around $300.
WR

Postby WR » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:22 pm

Is there a cheaper version of the RC300? Looking to soend between $300-400
WR

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:05 pm

RC30 has only two tracks but otherwise is very good (I still have one). Has some fx and can take an extra double footswitch for swapping tracks and other stuff. Costs €180/£160 at present.

The RC300 is €460 this side of the pond, if you have $400 I think it would be worth your while saving up a little longer and going for the RC300 is is a lot more sophisticated.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:38 pm

One wonderful classical cello player who uses a looper pedal to great effect is Rachel Lander. She's also hugely in demand as a session player for a range of pop/rock and film genres.

You can see which looper pedal she's using in this video of her playing Hendrix - do give it a watch!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boYvt3c_0eQ

Here's her website, where you should be able to find more details: http://rachaellander.com/

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:47 pm

99% certain that's a Boss RC-300
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:31 am

Sam Spoons wrote:99% certain that's a Boss RC-300

Hi Sam,

Yes, just Googled that I'm almost sure it's the one, because of the number of footswitches - Rachel needs these because she's controlling a set of different parts, creating multiple loops and toggling each of them in and out as the arrangement progresses.

To do more advanced stuff like that you would need more than the typical single on/off toggle switchpedal style (low cost but difficult to get used to by all accounts), and the easier to use dual pedal (one for Record and the second to stop).

I think the Boss RC-300 would be a must for the professional session musician. I bought my wife a Boss RC-30 to use with her harp, and she was able to create a single backing loop, and further overdubs on that loop, with built-in effects, and it's a great little unit.

Hope this helps the original poster.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:21 am

Martin Walker wrote:To do more advanced stuff like that you would need more than the typical single on/off toggle switchpedal style (low cost but difficult to get used to by all accounts), and the easier to use dual pedal (one for Record and the second to stop).

Yes, a separate stop pedal is essential for performing live. I have/have had lots of different loopers over the years and currently have RC-3, RC-30, RC-300 and 2 TC Ditto-Jam X2s. The only single pedal one is the RC-3 but I use an extra footswitch with it if I use it for anything other than practicing (it more or less lives in my acoustic guitar gig bag with a couple of short jack leads).

I think the Boss RC-300 would be a must for the professional session musician.
Martin

There are two or three others with multiple tracks/switches from Headrush, Pigtronix, Strymon and Electro Harmonix but only the much more expensive Headrush has the level of sophistication of the RC-300/505.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:08 am

H again Sam,

All useful info there for original poster WR - well done and let's hope it helps him make up his mind! :thumbup:

Certainly having the option to plug in an extra footswitch option might make a suitable choice if the RC-300 is too costly.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby The Coastal Path » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:42 pm

It's long in the tooth now, but I still use the free Mobius looping software. Far more powerful than any hardware looper available, and a cheaper option if you have a laptop available: you just need an audio interface with a midi connection and a floor pedal - the cheapest option being the Behringer FCB1010. I use this setup for both studio and live work.
The Coastal Path
Poster
The Coastal Path

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:47 pm

Hi The Coastal Path!

Excellent info, although this option strongly depends on whether or the original poster wants to use a laptop. Not everyone is comfortable using these on stage if they are used to more dedicated hardware ;)

However, he does say that recording is a hobby, so perhaps a computer-based approach would be appropriate.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:31 pm

He also needs foot-switching so would need to factor the cost of a suitable midi pedal and an interface with mid or it may be possible to control it with an Airturn pedal. I have Loopy app on my phone which is great though and works with an Airturn pedal for starting/stopping etc loops but I rarely use it as I still need guitar cable into the phone and signal cable out to some kind of amp so I just reach for one of my Boss RCs.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster