You are here

microphone case options

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

microphone case options

Postby forumuser653351 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:19 pm

Hello
I’m looking to get a case to put all my microphones in for when I go on location. The main reason is to keep the mics protected and reduce the amount of stuff to carry - rather than keeping them in their separate boxes.
Current mics are: Neumann TLM 102, Lewitt LCT 441, Line Audio CM3 pair and MBHO SDC pair. Hoping to add a pair of Line Audio OM1 and another LDC soon. Shock-mounts, clips etc I can store separately if need-be.
I’ve found a couple of possibilities: http://www.pulse-audio.co.uk/product/acc-case-m/ and: https://www.thomann.de/gb/thon_flex_cut_universal_mischpult_1.htm
Has anyone got any other suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
Ian
forumuser653351
Regular
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:39 am

Re: microphone case options

Postby blinddrew » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:27 pm

Might be worth looking at a mic-specific case, something like this perhaps: https://www.studiospares.com/Accessorie ... 459010.htm
User avatar
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7857
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am
Location: York
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: microphone case options

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:35 pm

I was also going to suggest something similar but then spotted the OP has two LDCs (and another in the pipeline) and they don't look well suited to large diaphragm mics.

I've been wrong before though..........
User avatar
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 9989
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:00 am
Location: Manchester UK
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: microphone case options

Postby forumuser653351 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:01 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:I was also going to suggest something similar but then spotted the OP has two LDCs (and another in the pipeline) and they don't look well suited to large diaphragm mics.

I've been wrong before though..........

It could work, I'll have to measure my LDCs.
forumuser653351
Regular
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:39 am

Re: microphone case options

Postby forumuser653351 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:02 pm

blinddrew wrote:Might be worth looking at a mic-specific case, something like this perhaps: https://www.studiospares.com/Accessorie ... 459010.htm
Thanks, there's a few options on the website.
forumuser653351
Regular
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:39 am

Re: microphone case options

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:08 pm

The studiospares case only really works for a bunch of handheld vocal mics. SDC pencil mics tend to rattle around and LDCs just don't fit nicely at all.

Personally, I use hard-shell camera cases with diced foam interiors which can be cut or picked out to provide unique orifices for any collection of disparate mics.

This kind of thing:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Waterproof-Large-Protective-Camera-Case/dp/B00S86TL30

These 'Peli-esque' style cases have the benefit of airtight seals, which is handy for keeping the mics dry if you need to store them in a damp garage etc.
User avatar
Hugh Robjohns
Moderator
Posts: 24280
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: microphone case options

Postby forumuser653351 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:13 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
This kind of thing:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Waterproof-Large-Protective-Camera-Case/dp/B00S86TL30

These 'Peli-esque' style cases have the benefit of airtight seals, which is handy for keeping the mics dry if you need to store them in a damp garage etc.

That sort of thing looks great, much better price than the flightcase style.
forumuser653351
Regular
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:39 am

Re: microphone case options

Postby blinddrew » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:26 pm

Ah, thanks Hugh, wasn't sure how adaptable they were.
User avatar
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7857
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am
Location: York
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: microphone case options

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:32 pm

Very.

Typically, the foam is diced into 1cm cubes, so you can adjust the depth, width and length of each slot to +/-5mm, in effect. I have everything from tiny KM84s, up to an SM69 and SoundField mic in my cases, with all manner of SDCs, LDCs, and live-sound mics in between. Those with fiddly shock-mounts are stored with the shockmounts attached.

I've used these cases for over twenty years very successfully.
User avatar
Hugh Robjohns
Moderator
Posts: 24280
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: microphone case options

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:35 pm

forumuser653351 wrote:That sort of thing looks great, much better price than the flightcase style.

I should say that I've not used that particular case, so can't vouch for it specifically, but there are many similar variations on that theme. Peli are the leaders in that kind of case, but they are pricey. The Chinese knock-offs aren't as well made, but most are perfectly adequate and a great deal cheaper.

H
User avatar
Hugh Robjohns
Moderator
Posts: 24280
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: microphone case options

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:45 pm

I have a very heavy-duty Gator mic case which I've had for maybe 15 years. Built like the proverbial. I take the point about SDCs rattling around, but I store them with clips on - keeps them snug. Also my SDCs have always fitted OK - again sometimes a snug fit.

I've bought several 'diced foam' cases and other cases from these guys:

https://www.cases-and-enclosures.co.uk/products

Always been well-pleased.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 6810
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2003 1:00 am

Re: microphone case options

Postby forumuser653351 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:01 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
forumuser653351 wrote:That sort of thing looks great, much better price than the flightcase style.

I should say that I've not used that particular case, so can't vouch for it specifically, but there are many similar variations on that theme. Peli are the leaders in that kind of case, but they are pricey. The Chinese knock-offs aren't as well made, but most are perfectly adequate and a great deal cheaper.

H

I definitely can't afford a Peli :(
Quite a lot of choice of this sort of case on Amazon, just a case of seeing which dimensions best fit my mics.
forumuser653351
Regular
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:39 am

Re: microphone case options

Postby forumuser653351 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:01 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:I have a very heavy-duty Gator mic case which I've had for maybe 15 years. Built like the proverbial. I take the point about SDCs rattling around, but I store them with clips on - keeps them snug. Also my SDCs have always fitted OK - again sometimes a snug fit.

I've bought several 'diced foam' cases and other cases from these guys:

https://www.cases-and-enclosures.co.uk/products

Always been well-pleased.

Thanks, I shall have a look.
forumuser653351
Regular
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:39 am

Re: microphone case options

Postby shufflebeat » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:19 pm

I use one of these:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/stanley-fatm ... gKbK_D_BwE

Image

Bring your own diced foam.

Bigger models exist, of course.
shufflebeat
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3984
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:00 am
Location: Manchester, UK
Apple Watch - the slowest of all the nature programmes.

Re: microphone case options

Postby Bob Bickerton » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:34 pm

I use Pelican cases and either use the supplied diced foam or make bespoke inserts using museum foam.

To my mind they are not expensive at all given the cost of what they’re protecting!

Bob
User avatar
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3872
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2002 1:00 am
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Re: microphone case options

Postby The Elf » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:21 pm

forumuser653351 wrote:
Sam Spoons wrote:I was also going to suggest something similar but then spotted the OP has two LDCs (and another in the pipeline) and they don't look well suited to large diaphragm mics.

I've been wrong before though..........

It could work, I'll have to measure my LDCs.
I made this very same mistake. LDCs don't fit that case.
User avatar
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12540
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: microphone case options

Postby Wonks » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:32 am

The Elf wrote:
forumuser653351 wrote:
Sam Spoons wrote:I was also going to suggest something similar but then spotted the OP has two LDCs (and another in the pipeline) and they don't look well suited to large diaphragm mics.

I've been wrong before though..........

It could work, I'll have to measure my LDCs.
I made this very same mistake. LDCs don't fit that case.
You obviously didn't use a large enough hammer. ;)
User avatar
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 9165
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Reading, UK
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Re: microphone case options

Postby forumuser653351 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:41 am

The Elf wrote:
forumuser653351 wrote:
Sam Spoons wrote:I was also going to suggest something similar but then spotted the OP has two LDCs (and another in the pipeline) and they don't look well suited to large diaphragm mics.

I've been wrong before though..........

It could work, I'll have to measure my LDCs.
I made this very same mistake. LDCs don't fit that case.

Thanks, good to know :)
forumuser653351
Regular
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:39 am

Re: microphone case options

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:45 am

Wonks wrote:You obviously didn't use a large enough hammer. ;)

I used a C1000, should I have used an SM58? :headbang:
User avatar
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 9989
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:00 am
Location: Manchester UK
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: microphone case options

Postby Wonks » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:17 am

Sam Spoons wrote:
Wonks wrote:You obviously didn't use a large enough hammer. ;)

I used a C1000, should I have used an SM58? :headbang:


Oh, if you were using a C1000, then fair enough.
User avatar
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 9165
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Reading, UK
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users