You are here

I needed some advice to purchase an Audio Interface

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

I needed some advice to purchase an Audio Interface

Postby SeaOtter » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:26 pm

Good morning,
I needed some advice to purchase an Audio Interface that would fit my needs and I was wondering if you could help me.
After many years of studying at the conservatory of music, now I am planning to compose an album for sale. I want to create the album independently from scratch. My style is a fusion of electronic music and classical instruments. It is all created by the computer, except for (probably) saxophone and vocal, which will be recorded live. All tracks will have vocals though. What would be the best audio interface for my needs that enables me to do all I want from the beginning to the end? Did you think I could get something suitable within the $1000 range? Did you think the Antelope Discrete 4 Synergy Core would be a good option for my needs? How about UA Apollo Twin MK II? What would be your suggestion? I'd very much appreciate your help.
Best,
Thanks.
SeaOtter

Re: I needed some advice to purchase an Audio Interface

Postby James Perrett » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:11 pm

Do you want to use UA plug-ins? If so, then consider the Apollo. If not then I'd always suggest looking at RME - they offer excellent quality and the drivers and support are better than most of the alternatives.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby SeaOtter » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:38 am

James Perrett wrote:Do you want to use UA plug-ins? If so, then consider the Apollo. If not then I'd always suggest looking at RME - they offer excellent quality and the drivers and support are better than most of the alternatives.
James, Thank you for your response. I was wondering if I can use something like wave lab, then I won’t need UA, right? Did you think i could this model (RME ADI-2 DAC 2-Channel DA Converter) as an audio interface?
SeaOtter

Postby djangodeadman » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:14 am

SeaOtter wrote:
James Perrett wrote:Do you want to use UA plug-ins? If so, then consider the Apollo. If not then I'd always suggest looking at RME - they offer excellent quality and the drivers and support are better than most of the alternatives.
James, Thank you for your response. I was wondering if I can use something like wave lab, then I won’t need UA, right? Did you think i could this model (RME ADI-2 DAC 2-Channel DA Converter) as an audio interface?

Wavelab is an audio editor and, while you can record into it, it isn't suitable for the kind of multi-track recording and mixing that you are contemplating. You need a DAW, such as Logic, Cubase, Reaper and so on (there are many options). Whether or not you wish to use UAD plugins is another matter. They are very good and very well thought of by many people, but they don't come cheap. All DAWs come with perfectly useable plugins of their own and there are, of course, plenty of other third party plugins available, without the need for UAD hardware. However, if you do decide to use UAD plugins, a UAD interface makes very good sense. If you don't, another make will do the job for you. RME seem to be highly regarded by many on these forums.
djangodeadman
Regular

Postby SeaOtter » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:12 pm

djangodeadman wrote:
SeaOtter wrote:

Wavelab is an audio editor and, while you can record into it, it isn't suitable for the kind of multi-track recording and mixing that you are contemplating. You need a DAW, such as Logic, Cubase, Reaper and so on (there are many options). Whether or not you wish to use UAD plugins is another matter. They are very good and very well thought of by many people, but they don't come cheap. All DAWs come with perfectly useable plugins of their own and there are, of course, plenty of other third party plugins available, without the need for UAD hardware. However, if you do decide to use UAD plugins, a UAD interface makes very good sense. If you don't, another make will do the job for you. RME seem to be highly regarded by many on these forums.

Thank you for your advice. Sorry it was my bad. By wave lab, I meant waves.com
SeaOtter

Postby djangodeadman » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:32 pm

SeaOtter wrote:
djangodeadman wrote:
SeaOtter wrote:

Thank you for your advice. Sorry it was my bad. By wave lab, I meant waves.com

If you intend using Waves plugins and have no intention of using UAD plugins you would not especially benefit from buying a UAD interface.
djangodeadman
Regular

Postby currentsound » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:39 am

SeaOtter wrote:Good morning,
How about UA Apollo Twin MK II?
Thanks.

I have the Apollo Twin Mk2. It is very well made and combines a bunch of devices in one such as Monitor Controller, Talkback Mic, Headphone amp and DSP Processor. It costs more than lots of the other options but is very high quality and will probably save you money in the future. That is not to mention all the included DSP plugins you get with it which can help you save money by not buying rack gear for tracking.
currentsound
Poster