You are here

Replacement for Bose 802

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Re: Replacement for Bose 802

Postby NickBellows » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:31 am

Hi OP here
really appreciate all the help in this thread. A lot to think about.
I think what I have summarised is that to get good sound I need some weight.
The DRX10 look like they are pretty universally liked and that if nothing else - I will notice a step up in performance from my 802s
Calculations tell me that volumewise the Yamaha's are about 2/3 that of the Bose (LxWxH) so that is useful. I also won't need the separate amp - all saving space.
So, I shall order some DRX10s and give them a go.
We have a gig next Saturday, so should know pretty soon.
One day, we might consider a sub, but the Bose seem to have been fine for us for the past decade as far as providing bass in our mix and I guess the Yamaha will at least match that.
I will hope that the 802s & eq get a reasonable price on Ebay.
I shall report back - watch this space.
Cheers
Nick
NickBellows
Poster

Postby Wonks » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:08 pm

Best of luck, Nick. :thumbup:
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby DanR » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:28 pm

Good luck with the DXR10s :thumbup:
Original version which I have is going for a good price now the mkii is available.
Just the one big handle on top but should be easy enough to stand mount as they’re small and chunky.
I’d recommend the original covers as the speaker finish is smooth and prone to scuffs.
DanR
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:44 pm

I have Stagg speaker bags for my DXR10s, cheap and cheerful but they do the job fine. The DXRs are easy enough to get up onto stands and, like DanR I've had three of the original version for a few years now and been extremely happy with them. Just be aware the 'D-Contour' eq switch makes a big difference to the sound so don't forget it's there.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby NickBellows » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:57 pm

Sam, are these the Stag bags you mean
Stagg SPB Speaker Bag, 10 Inch
Cheers
NickBellows
Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:09 pm

Having invested quite a sum (for me) in the DXRs I decided to buy some really decent padded covers.

I used Hot Covers https://www.hotcovers.co.uk/speaker-covers/yamaha-speakers-31354/yamaha-dxr10-speaker-cover and was delighted with the quality and finish and the protection they offered.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:37 pm

NickBellows wrote:Sam, are these the Stag bags you mean
Stagg SPB Speaker Bag, 10 Inch
Cheers

Yup, those are the ones. They don't get heavy usage these days but, apart from the zip pulls which are made of custard :tongue: , they seem to be wearing well.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby DanR » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:09 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:Having invested quite a sum (for me) in the DXRs I decided to buy some really decent padded covers.

I used Hot Covers https://www.hotcovers.co.uk/speaker-covers/yamaha-speakers-31354/yamaha-dxr10-speaker-cover and was delighted with the quality and finish and the protection they offered.

I have Hot Covers for my RCF rig. Super quality and service.
The Yamaha covers have a flap for the handle but the Hot Covers are open.
Easy on and off though.
Never been too struck on bags for speakers. Bit of a technique required.
DanR
Regular

Postby AlecSp » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:17 pm

I've got original RCF zip front covers for four of my ART speakers, and Hotcovers one for two of them.

While the RCF covers are all very functional, I much prefer the Hotcovers ones. I never use the speakers in their covers, so the whole zip and flap thing is just an obstacle - it's much easier to get them in and out of the Hotcovers.
AlecSp
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:48 pm

The plus with the bags is several handles, and in this respect, the Stagg bags are better than my 'proper' QSC K12 bags.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby NickBellows » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:08 am

Well, here's the promised update.
Got the Yamahas ( a good deal on new ones).
Used them at wedding gig last night.
Not a fair test really as over-running wedding speeches meant we couldn't eq the room beforehand and just had to get started.
However - they were amazing. We couldn't believe the difference. Our dance caller who was on the floor with radio mic couldn't quite believe the extra clarity, each of us was far more distinctive. Also he could be nearer the speakers without fear of feedback.
Absolutely sufficient for our bass too. A far richer sound.
Can't wait to try them when we have room eq sorted next time.
Easy to handle and the omission of the amp (meaning a 2u rather than 4u flight case) meant that the whole lot fitted in my boot without folding seats down.
Really grateful for all help here, it has made a big difference and I am very popular with the rest of the band too for doing this.
Nick
:thumbup:
NickBellows
Poster

Postby Wonks » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:21 am

Great news, Nick. Glad we could help.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:38 pm

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: There is a reason the Yamaha DXRs get a lot of love on here. Don't forget to register them for the extended, 7 year warrantee (it's unlikely that you'll need it but it gives a little extra peace of mind).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby AlecSp » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:50 pm

Moving from old "OK in its day" speakers to contemporary actives is a revelation, isn't it.

Not only is there the loss of an amp rack to benefit from (often without gaining too much weight in the speakers), the quality and resilience if often waay better.

And good to see another application where 10" speakers are more than adequate. Although my RCF ART 722s sound the absolute business, by 710s are so close behind that they often get taken out to shows as they're quite a bit shorter/lighter.
AlecSp
Regular

Postby DanR » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:33 pm

Sam Spoons wrote: Don't forget to register them for the extended, 7 year warrantee (it's unlikely that you'll need it but it gives a little extra peace of mind).

Oops :? Just checked and this needs to be done within 6 months of purchase. I bought them in August 2014.
Have done it anyway.

Glad that the DXRs are working well for Nick’s band. I bought mine for keyboard amplification/stereo monitoring.
I use about 1/4 of their power for this and would like to stick them upfront for PA duties
but then no keyboard amp.
Ideally I’d have a stereo combo for keyboards but there’s very limited choice available.
DanR
Regular

Postby NickBellows » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:10 pm

I am going to have to contact Yamaha tomorrow. I registered the speakers, but only got 5 years.
Thanks again for feedback.
It'll be a few weeks until I can properly find their full potential. Venue for gig next Saturday has the worst acoustics of anywhere we play. One of those places where positions just a couple of metres apart have completely different acoustics / volume. Of course it is possible the DXRs will perform a lot better there.
I suppose it will test them out though.
By the way I got the Stagg covers - they look good.
I'll need to get longer IECs.
Nick
NickBellows
Poster

Postby AlecSp » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:46 pm

Don't forget to play with the dual angle pole sockets. In many situations, using the 7 degree angle will help get more sound where you want it (ears) and less where you don't want it (reflective surfaces).

Yes to decent length IEC cables for powered speakers, ideally with decent flex that lays flat and coils nicely.
AlecSp
Regular

Postby Wonks » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:27 pm

You'll probably have to make your own long IEC leads up. Hard to find really long IEC leads, especially ones that have a decent flexible cable that isn't too stiff. It's not hard to do.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby AlecSp » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:37 pm

Wonks wrote:You'll probably have to make your own long IEC leads up. Hard to find really long IEC leads, especially ones that have a decent flexible cable that isn't too stiff. It's not hard to do.
The only challenge I've ever had was finding re-wirable IEC sockets that were easy to connect up - what have you had success with?
AlecSp
Regular

Postby Wonks » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:54 pm

I used to use ones from Maplin. A bit fiddly but worked fine once assembled. But since they've gone, I haven't needed any, so can't recommend another supplier.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

PreviousNext