You are here

Shocked? Or just Dropkicked?

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Shocked? Or just Dropkicked?

Postby Dynamic Mike » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:29 am

Got in from a crappy day at work this afternoon to find a large box from Andertons in the lounge. I hadn't ordered anything so initially presumed Mrs Mike had taken it in for one of the neighbours. Apparently not, she informed me grinning from ear to ear, it was for me. No occasion, just a little surprise prezzie. Something I'd mentioned that I'd taken a fancy to a while back.

I cautiously opened it to reveal a hard case containing this https://www.duesenberg.de/en/guitars/al ... ck-murphys
Shocked doesn't even come close. Just as surprising it's apparently been on back-order from Andertons since 20th March! It seems they took payment in full, then refunded it & took a deposit, then took the balance yesterday before they shipped.

I know you shouldn't ever buy any instrument without trying, but I'm guessing surprise prezzies are exempt from this. And it's from a limited edition of 96 instruments worldwide, so you can't exactly shop around for one.

First Impressions: It's beautiful, stunningly so. The build quality, fit & finish, are beyond anything I've owned before. The rose transfer is subtle & classy. The brightwork is the usual Duesenberg Art Deco with a few signature series twists. The neck is Indian rosewood & the inlays and binding look like they'd stand up to scrutiny under a microscope. Set-up out of the box (Plek) is average, and by average I mean pretty much anyone would find it playable. I don't think I'll bother with a set-up until it's played in a little. Acoustically the volume is more than I expected & tonally it oozes character for a new guitar. It's strung 10-50 & the strings are high quality Duesenberg's own & still fresh. I've not had the chance to plug it in and crank it up through an amp yet, but even through the headphone socket on my Vox AD30VT it sings sweetly, so I'm expecting great things.

Peering through the f-holes it seems to be somewhere between a semi-solid & a semi-acoustic, the centre block ends just beyond the stop tailpiece. The neck joint starts to thicken considerably around the 15th fret, which doesn't bother me (I get nosebleeds going higher than this) but certainly won't suit everyone. Access above this requires you change your grip unless you have massive hands.

Negatives: None really that I've discovered so far except you don't get the certificate of authenticity or any of the goodies until you've registered the warranty with Duesenberg online.

So am I a huge Dropkick Murphys fan... No, not really. :o
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: Shocked? Or just Dropkicked?

Postby blinddrew » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:39 am

Wow! That is a lovely looking bit of kit. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Folderol » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:42 am

So that's the last we'll hear from you then... for about 6 months :lol: :bouncy:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:44 am

Wow... that's quite a prezzie! I am (quite genuinely) experiencing vicarious joy for you :D
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, helping charities via music created by forum members.

Postby John Egan » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:52 am

I have always liked Duesenberg guitars. Really well designed and made and terrific pickups. That's a spectacular present. Enjoy.
Regards, John
John Egan
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:57 am

Very nice indeed. That Mrs Mike of yours sounds like a keeper! :bouncy: :clap: :thumbup:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Martin Walker » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:40 am

Wow - that looks gorgeous! :thumbup: 8-)

What a most wonderful present :o

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Dynamic Mike » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:58 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Very nice indeed. That Mrs Mike of yours sounds like a keeper! :bouncy: :clap: :thumbup:

Indeed (35 years & counting :D). Scary thing is she's the sensible one!

Thanks to everyone for the positive comments, I'm seriously quite touched.

Managed to crank it up a bit this afternoon & still absolutely no reservations. Really impressed with the single coil in the neck, it manages to somehow be bright & clear and yet deep & mellow at the same time. Great for fingerpicking and more jazzy/bluesy sounds with a little more gain dialled in. The humbucker in the bridge sounds better to me with the volume backed off a touch, but it might be a higher output than I'm used to, and may just need a little less front end gain. It's definitely got an agressive snarl to it though if you let it off the lead!
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby zenguitar » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:55 pm

Thanks, that tale has put a big smile on my face. :thumbup:

And that’s a lovely guitar too :D

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby BJG145 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:36 am

...oh, well, as soon as I clicked on the link and saw Duesenberg, I thought, "...you lucky s*...and so."

Take good care of your preciouses.
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:47 am

I'm considering asking for a wife swap arrangement

My newer model (only coming up on 30 years ) clearly lacks this "surprise pressies" feature in proper implementation that your model has.
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Now available for consultations and audio engineering jobs .  Also guitar tech work , and “rent-a-shredder” sessions .  Oxfordshire based but can and will travel .  Email maxtech.audio@me.com

Postby Dynamic Mike » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:56 am

Studio Support Gnome wrote:I'm considering asking for a wife swap arrangement

My newer model (only coming up on 30 years ) clearly lacks this "surprise pressies" feature in proper implementation that your model has.

Sadly I think this may be a once in a wifetime experience.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:42 am

Dynamic Mike wrote:... once in a wifetime experience.

:lol: :clap:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, helping charities via music created by forum members.

Postby Folderol » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:23 am

Eddy Deegan wrote:
Dynamic Mike wrote:... once in a wifetime experience.

:lol: :clap:
Seconded :thumbup:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:47 am

:bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy:

On a more prosaic note

Dynamic Mike wrote:The humbucker in the bridge sounds better to me with the volume backed off a touch, but it might be a higher output than I'm used to, and may just need a little less front end gain.

Have you thought of adjusting the bridge humbucker further from the strings? That would reduce the gain and make it slightly more 'vintage' sounding.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby resistorman » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:56 pm

Wow! What a great surprise! You art a lucky man to have such a wonderful wife...
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby Dynamic Mike » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:44 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Have you thought of adjusting the bridge humbucker further from the strings? That would reduce the gain and make it slightly more 'vintage' sounding.

Now why didn't I think of that? Thanks for suggesting it.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:29 pm

Dynamic Mike wrote:
Studio Support Gnome wrote:I'm considering asking for a wife swap arrangement

Sadly I think this may be a once in a wifetime experience.

damn this forum needs a like button
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Now available for consultations and audio engineering jobs .  Also guitar tech work , and “rent-a-shredder” sessions .  Oxfordshire based but can and will travel .  Email maxtech.audio@me.com

Postby Dynamic Mike » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:13 am

Ain't she pretty? :D
Not posted pics before so apologies in advance if this doesn't work.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Humble Bee » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:25 pm

What a lovely guitar! I have been gasing for a Duesenberg for years but never pulled the trigger . Always thought they sounded killer especially the neck P90... Has it got the special middle position where that bridge HB is split?
Lucky you!
Humble Bee
Regular

Next