You are here

Migrating from multitrack to PC: I can't get no (output) satisfaction

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Migrating from multitrack to PC: I can't get no (output) satisfaction

Postby blinddrew » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:59 pm

On the principle that I'm at home and have them open now, here's my set up for Reaper:
and MixControl:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby FrankF » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:04 pm

Thanks a lot for posting that, BD: I copied your MixCtrl Mix 1 and Mix 2 settings, in both Routing Preset and the bit below (the bit that's unlabelled!), but still no sound at all.

Re speakers: I've got 2 jack cables going from the Mon. 1 and 2 outs of the Scarlett into the jack inputs on the Alesis speakers.

So anyway, what's the config s/w on the Behringer XR boxes like? Is it more user-friendly than Focusrite? :protest:
FrankF
Regular

Postby FrankF » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:18 pm

Sorry, just to iterate: the keyboard signal is reaching the Reaper channel, no probs.
On the Scarlett, I also have headphones attached, but there's nowt cumming owt, as that coach from Loneliness of the Long-Distance Runner would say.
FrankF
Regular

Postby FrankF » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:30 pm

FrankF wrote: as that coach from Loneliness of the Long-Distance Runner would say.
Oh my, It was Kes, and the actor was Brian Glover! Still, 2 great films get a mention, why aye!
FrankF
Regular

Postby CS70 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:33 pm

FrankF wrote:Sorry, just to iterate: the keyboard signal is reaching the Reaper channel, no probs.
On the Scarlett, I also have headphones attached, but there's nowt cumming owt, as that coach from Loneliness of the Long-Distance Runner would say.

That's an obvious sign of incorrect routing. Can you put in dropbox a screenshot of your software mixer and post it?

And if you look at the simpler windows Sound Settings, and try to test the levels, do you hear anything? (I guess not but just in case):

It's easier to have Windows set up right first, then look at Reaper.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby blinddrew » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:22 pm

FrankF wrote:Thanks a lot for posting that, BD: I copied your MixCtrl Mix 1 and Mix 2 settings, in both Routing Preset and the bit below (the bit that's unlabelled!), but still no sound at all.

Re speakers: I've got 2 jack cables going from the Mon. 1 and 2 outs of the Scarlett into the jack inputs on the Alesis speakers.

So anyway, what's the config s/w on the Behringer XR boxes like? Is it more user-friendly than Focusrite? :protest:
What are your reaper settings set to?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby FrankF » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:46 pm

Almost identical to your screenshot: Focusrite is showing as device, then i/s and o/s are more or less the same.
FrankF
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:04 pm

Are you getting any movement on the meters in MixControl at all? Either for inputs or any of the output channels?
And in Reaper, have you got the routing for the master fader set to send an output to your hardware? Nothing there's been accidentally muted or anything like that? This is tricky to do remotely without any screenshots.
Don't suppose you're a TeamViewer user? Or any other screensharing technology?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:00 am

I had similar issues figuring out the Focusrite mixer, I just called Focusrite, they are very approachable, and in the UK! customer service is "just like it used to be" in the good old days.
They just talked me through the initial set-up, and it worked fine after that.
Maybe worth a go...

:?:
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby FrankF » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:36 am

blinddrew wrote:Are you getting any movement on the meters in MixControl at all? Either for inputs or any of the output channels?
And in Reaper, have you got the routing for the master fader set to send an output to your hardware? Nothing there's been accidentally muted or anything like that? This is tricky to do remotely without any screenshots.
Don't suppose you're a TeamViewer user? Or any other screensharing technology?
Yep, the meters are full of life in MixCtrl, the last 4 meters on the right.

Arpangel wrote:I had similar issues figuring out the Focusrite mixer, I just called Focusrite, they are very approachable, and in the UK! customer service is "just like it used to be" in the good old days.
They just talked me through the initial set-up, and it worked fine after that.
Maybe worth a go...
:?:
I should've thought of that earlier! I'll give them a ring, and if anything interesting comes of it, I'll post it here.
FrankF
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:28 pm

Hopefully focusrite will come through because I'm all out of ideas I'm afraid. :(
We're getting signal into reaper, and from reaper to mix control, but not from there to the hardware even though we've got the right outputs selected. :?:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby FrankF » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:18 pm

Well, it was embarrassingly simple: I needed to click on the H/W Ctrl button in MixControl, so that turning up the physical vol. knob on the Scarlett actually did something. For some reason, it wasn't activated by default, so we did a reset and took it from there.

And what an absolute PLEASURE, in this day and age, to call a corporate 'phone no. and immediately speak to real human beings, and this w/o pressing any options 1, 2, or 3, w/o entering any codes or pressing asterisk or giving the h/w serial no. etc. etc. - just bish bash bosh, and Scott Walker's yer uncle.
Massive respect and applause to Focusrite for this approach: I hope it continues.

Thanks for all your suggsies, especially the person who recommended the horse's mouth option. :D
FrankF
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:24 pm

Excellent, glad you're sorted. I've always had really good support from Focusrite as well so it's good to hear about that too. :)

And in my defence, my version of mix control doesn't have that button... :?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby FrankF » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:01 pm

blinddrew wrote:And in my defence, my version of mix control doesn't have that button... :?
Oddsfish, you're right! I've just had another look at your screenshot. I wonder if they added it or took it away? I have v. 1 8 128.
FrankF
Regular

Postby Watchmaker » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:02 pm

Yay! :thumbup:
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

PreviousNext