You are here

Netgear find

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Netgear find

Postby ef37a » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:51 am

Walking back to my car in an old part of the town last week I found a Netgear GS748T Smart Switcher propped against a wall between two terraced houses (Grove rd if you want to Google).
No one was around, no firms van or anything so I knocked on a door but got no response. None expected, curtains drawn, very grubby nets. So I picked it up and continued the 50mtrs to my car.

At home I emailed the police wih the details. A day later I got a reply to the effect that nothing had been reported to them and I could hand the unit in or keep it and after 28 days it would be mine.

Yesterday I powered it up. Noisy bstd! The fans generate around 55dB C at a mtr. Plugged port 1 into my TT router, blinking. Plugged this HP lappy into P2. Blinking. Ookla gave me 35M down and 9.2M up. Wi fi at best is only 24M tops but up is always 9ish. Port 24 gave the same results.

Good but of little use to me and the noise is an issue. I shall probably ask around and see if some charitable organization could make use of it should it become my property.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Re: Netgear find

Postby Pete Kaine » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:27 am

Noctua do some 40mm's that should fit, they'll still be noticeable, but the grating sharp tone is removed with the aftermarket ones.

Or you could just mod it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyuybwSaXjQ

It's a decidedly commercial solution for cropping up randomly in what looks like a fairly residential area. I'm wondering if an office somewhere threw it out and whoever salvaged it took exception to the fan noise too.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby ef37a » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:39 am

Hi Pete, yeah, I thought of fitting a thermostatic switch but then where TF do I find the time and energy! What do I need 23 ethernet ports for in a 2 bed bungalow anyway? I already have an 8 port gigabit switch.

Be sort of glad if someone claims it!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:35 am

I know of charities that would likely make good use of it. Drop me a PM if you need to and I'll give you details.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby ef37a » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:29 pm

The Elf wrote:I know of charities that would likely make good use of it. Drop me a PM if you need to and I'll give you details.

Sorted then Elf. If I get to keep it I shall PM you same day.

BTW someone will have to fetch it, weighs a ton! I was surprised it had a SMPSU and not a toroid.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Pete Kaine » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:10 pm

ef37a wrote:Hi Pete, yeah, I thought of fitting a thermostatic switch but then where TF do I find the time and energy!

Well, you know, just throwing it out there in the event you had a weekend with little to do. Haven't you seen the weather warning this week?!? ;)

ef37a wrote:What do I need 23 ethernet ports for in a 2 bed bungalow anyway? I already have an 8 port gigabit switch.

I'd imagine then that the 8 port isn't exactly running at capacity at this point?

I was more giving examples of making it fit for use. I can see a lot of people turning their nose up at something running noisy even if they could otherwise really make use of it.

A free router that requires £20 of parts to make function as it should, is still cheaper than dropping £200+ on a similar unit and replacement fans are available which I guess was my take-home point.

I wasn't being series with the mod vid, that's rather a lot of effort and it's hardly something that most people would leave in public view... still, not to say I haven't done a similar case hacking in the past in order to bring something back to life!
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ef37a » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:37 pm

Sorry if I came across a bit grumpy Pete. I meant "energy" in terms of general knackeredness due to age, can't be a'ed and other duties.

I dare say I have the electronic bits about to make a thermostatic switch

Actually the 8 port switch did get close to capacity.
One port to PC in living room that drives printer.
2, to NAS drive
3, to smart TV (was to a NOW box but I have stopped the scrip)
4&5 go to "stoodio" in a bedroom that once had 2 desktops, now just one.
6, went down CAT5e to a wireless radiator 1/2 way down the house to give a good enough signal to a wifi camera in the garden. Camera went back to 'Zon for a refund and the new TTlk router is easily powerful enough now. (even if the company is populated by idiots!)

7,8. were run to other rooms but not connected.

Again, sorry for the negative attitude. I am always very glad of your input. (Boom! Boom!)

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Pete Kaine » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:30 am

ef37a wrote:Sorry if I came across a bit grumpy Pete. I meant "energy" in terms of general knackeredness due to age, can't be a'ed and other duties.

Don't worry, fully with you. :)

I have a pile of things like this that I *could* tinker with and possibly fix, you're just being more realistic regarding the fact that it's probably never going to happen.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ef37a » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:16 pm

The Elf wrote:I know of charities that would likely make good use of it. Drop me a PM if you need to and I'll give you details.

Just had an email from the Bill Elf to say the Netgear gear is now mine so ask about and if anyone wants it PM me.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:43 pm

I'm pretty sure I know a specific cause that could make good use of this.

Be in touch, mate,
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby OneWorld » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:25 pm

Sign of the times, many years ago I worked on the occasion for a net working company and when they were doing a new installation half the existing kit would go in the boot of the engineer's car, or to the city dump. Another time I did some work for a college that leased equipment and when new kit was installed every 3 or 4 years the old kit went in a skip, often with a security guard stood by making sure everything went in the skip and didn't get 'lost' along the way
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby BJG145 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:09 pm

Well yes, I was thinking the same thing, and if you work in IT support this kind of stuff gets skipped by the truckload. I was recently lookng at a cupboard full of used Apart powered speakers that would probably cost around £175 a pair, asked someone "Do you want any of these?" and they were, "nope". In the business sector it's a drug on the market; you're happy if you can fnd someone to take it away. :tongue:
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Elf » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:26 pm

I hate the thought of stuff going into landfill when it can do a job for someone. I'm constantly Frankensteining computers, musical instruments and gear of all kinds and giving it to good homes.

In all senses it's a rewarding thing to do and makes me feel better about my role in the world. Seeing a few smiles from those who benefit is what it's all about...
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby BJG145 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:52 pm

The Elf wrote:I hate the thought of stuff going into landfill when it can do a job for someone.

I quite agree.

Pulled this bike out of the river this afternoon!

BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ef37a » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:37 pm

Do you know? I have never bought a microwave oven (and I am qualified to service them!). I did buy my daughter one many years ago.

My first oven was a huge thing my best mate got from the recycle yard at Wellingborough. Worked, just missing the table.

Some five years later at the network factory another old mate asked if I wanted their old MW because "she" wanted a newer, posher one. Great, bit smaller than the old one and it is still going strong. Bog simple to use, clockwork timer. Rated low these days at 650W but it is easy to make the 30sec or so allowance. Gets used practically every day.

Will probably see me out!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster