You are here

Behringer RD-8

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Behringer RD-8

Postby The Elf » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:13 am

https://youtu.be/B-HhNJbBPuQ

I predict that it will never be widely know as the 'RD-8'.

Pity about the external PSU, and I have doubts there will be potential for my usual mod since the case looks very compact. Hopefully my engineer will work some magic.

There are some clever improvements on the old technology in this new version. As long as it retains the sound of the original it's surely going to be a winner?
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Behringer RD-8

Postby N i g e l » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:42 pm

The Elf wrote:https://youtu.be/B-HhNJbBPuQ

I predict that it will never be widely know as the 'RD-8'.

RD 2 2 ?
N i g e l
Regular

Postby FrankF » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:22 pm

Yeah, but does it have after-touch? (With apologies to Nick Batt.)
FrankF
Regular

Postby The Elf » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:07 pm

Anyone care to rustle me up a couple of carefully copied orange '08' stickers?... :tongue: ;)
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby FrankF » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:20 pm

I'm assuming it only has the 808 sounds, which is a bit too retro-purist for my wallet.
I'd be much more interested in this box if it had oodles of kits inside it.
FrankF
Regular

Postby DGL. » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:12 pm

FrankF wrote:I'm assuming it only has the 808 sounds, which is a bit too retro-purist for my wallet.
We'll it's a fully analogue recreation of an 808 so not modelling or samples so 808 is naturally all you've got.
But at less than £300 and therefore less than the boutique it's at a crazy price.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:21 pm

FrankF wrote:I'm assuming it only has the 808 sounds, which is a bit too retro-purist for my wallet.
As DGL says, this is true analogue. Can you imagine the circuitry that would be required to replicate multiple machines in there!?!

If you're happy with samples or modelling there are many other options.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby FrankF » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:12 pm

That's why I said "retro-purist": I mean, how difficult would it be to just bung a sound chip in there with 500 samples on it? Like a, well, a hybrid machine, a best of both worlds, ancient and modern, chimaerical beastie.
I had an 808 in the late 80s, so I appreciate the separate outs and the 16-step dynamic programming (or whatever it's called!), but the sounds have been done to death, resurrected, and then killed all over again several times in the last 3 decades. Mind you, if they added some samples of Simmons toms, for example... :lol:
I've had a Yamaha RY30 since 1992 (and it still works!!): it has a thumb-wheel that allows you to alter pitch, pan, etc. in real-time: now imagine if all drum-machines had that! I blame the EU for not making it mandatory on all beat-boxes from 1990 onward.
DGL. wrote:But at less than £300 and therefore less than the boutique it's at a crazy price.

Agreed, that is a cracking price: I'd almost be tempted to buy it as a midi-trigger for old beat-boxes with knackered pads, or even keyboard drums.
FrankF
Regular

Postby desmond » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:17 pm

FrankF wrote:That's why I said "retro-purist": I mean, how difficult would it be to just bung a sound chip in there with 500 samples on it? Like a, well, a hybrid machine, a best of both worlds, ancient and modern, chimaerical beastie.

Because that's a different product. This one is part of what Behringer are doing, bring the old stuff back to life, with some improved features - not making a random digital drum machine. This is specifically an analog 808, with some extra features.

FrankF wrote:I had an 808 in the late 80s, so I appreciate the separate outs and the 16-step dynamic programming (or whatever it's called!), but the sounds have been done to death, resurrected, and then killed all over again several times in the last 3 decades.

I agree, and feel much the same about the 909, 303, and even 707 etc. But they still prove to be popular, so why not for the people that want them?

FrankF wrote:Mind you, if they added some samples of Simmons toms, for example... :lol:

Because that Simmons thing *hasn't* been done to death? :o

FrankF wrote:I've had a Yamaha RY30 since 1992 (and it still works!!): it has a thumb-wheel that allows you to alter pitch, pan, etc. in real-time: now imagine if all drum-machines had that! I blame the EU for not making it mandatory on all beat-boxes from 1990 onward.

I still have my RM50, the module version, and a few cards and sample ram. While it was great for the time, by today's standards the sounds are fairly boring, and the engine is no better or more flexible than any other drum playback sampler in your DAW.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby FrankF » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:43 pm

desmond wrote:
FrankF wrote:Mind you, if they added some samples of Simmons toms, for example... :lol:

Because that Simmons thing *hasn't* been done to death? :o

I still have my RM50, the module version, and a few cards and sample ram. While it was great for the time, by today's standards the sounds are fairly boring, and the engine is no better or more flexible than any other drum playback sampler in your DAW.

Oh no, every drum machine should have loads and loads of Simmons sounds, and even more cowbell sounds. ;)
I got rid of my RM50: the minimalist interface made programming it a real pain without the editor.
FrankF
Regular

Postby The Elf » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:54 pm

Some of us still have a Simmons module in our rig - that gets used constantly, though only the very golden-eared would know. It is the perfect 'make my drums sound better' magic dust!
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby FrankF » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:49 pm

An original module? I saw Benge use some seriously tattered original pads live with John Foxx several years ago.
Aah, Simmons, the nostalgia! Talk Talk's 1st album, Foxxy's The Golden Section: any other noteworthy "suspects" from the 80s?
FrankF
Regular

Postby FrankF » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:55 pm

From Wiki, answering my own question:
Howard Jones, Jez Strode of Kajagoogoo, John Keeble of Spandau Ballet, Roger Taylor of Duran Duran, Darren Costin of Wang Chung, Bobby Z., Rick Allen of Def Leppard, Thomas Dolby, Prince, Phil Collins, Neil Peart, Bill Bruford, Talk Talk, Cameo, Jonzun Crew, Depeche Mode, and Vangelis.

Has anyone tried the new Simmons kits? The name is owned by Guitar Center these days, apparently.
FrankF
Regular

Postby desmond » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:11 pm

FrankF wrote:any other noteworthy "suspects" from the 80s?

I always liked Trevor Morais' Simmons drumming on the early Hojo stuff - the 12" to New Song is a case in point:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGVk1BljkCM

But really there was a period in the early 80s where it almost wasn't a modern pop record without a SImmons in there somewhere...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Rich Hanson » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:19 pm

Oh the SDS5 - somebody have a word in Uli's ear please :D
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:22 am

I long ago sold the pads. At one time they were much sought after.

Kenton made me a custom cable to connect my Simmons SDS8 brain, via its sequencer port, to their Pro-4 MIDI interface, so I can trigger them from my DAW (which means I can pretty much trigger them from anything, including audio hitpoints). For adding weight, or snap, to real drums the Simmons really are a secret weapon.

My personal favourite Simmons recordings are most definitely those involving Thomas Dolby (who also seemed to layer them with real drums, if my ears serve me correctly), but 'Second Home by the Sea' by Genesis is a mighty example of the power of the pure Simmons sound.

The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Dave B » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:51 am

TMDR used an SDS 5 module for some of the tracks on the Golden Age of Wireless - She Blinded Me with Science and Windpower were basically total SDS5 rhythm tracks. Very cool and the former is quite clever use of the modules to not go 'boosh' or 'weeeeoooh' ;)
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Zukan » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:04 am

I remember when I used to remix commercial hits for the club circuits for 9 Bar and Chrysalis and every time it was an Urban track the remit was to use the 808. In fact when working with Busta Rhymes I was told not to veer away from the 808 and to use it for both the bass line and the drum content. The problem, in those days, was getting a single tone to behave as a riff. Nowadays, it's a doddle.

Clearly, this has dik to do with this thread so I'll go off and have my cinnamon porridge and reflect on my behaviour here today.
Zukan

Postby The Elf » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:47 am

Hey, Eddie - I'd love to hear more of those stories, mate! Maybe one for a sausage and beer?!

Like most at the time, I used an 808, because I couldn't afford a Linn. The 909 was just a joke back then, essentially using the worst of both worlds - weedy analogue for the power sounds and too-short samples for the metalwork. I still hate the 909's boingy toms and choked-off cymbals. I moved on to a Sequential Drumtracks (with a couple of Linn EPROMs on ZIFs).

Though I was utterly jaded with the 808 back then, I have to come to appreciate what it does well - it was never going to give me the power-drums I craved at the time. In the right context it is simply beautiful. Even more so the CR78, of which I would love to have a collection of properly separated sounds, unlike the pretty dodgy collection I have now. I was gobsmacked when Roland's TR8 failed to include CR78 material, yet foisted upon us those goddawful 606 sniffs and plops.

For me it's about the raw sounds, so the RD-8's sequencer and on-board processing is of little interest. But if it does get the sound right for that money...
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Rich Hanson » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:49 am

I was going to defend the 606 until I realised I was thinking of the 707 :roll: :D

If it helps, Waldorf's Attack drum synth makes a reasonable fist of CR78 sounds.
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster

Next