You are here

Behringer RD-8

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Behringer RD-8

Postby nathanscribe » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:01 pm

The Elf wrote:goddawful 606 sniffs and plops.

GASP :o

I really like the lightness of the 606, it sits really well with something heavier I think. The hats are expressive too, with the way they interact when layered and accented in various ways.

The TR8s nails the 606 kick, snare, and toms, as far as my ears go when A/Bing with an original. The cymbal/hats, less so. I've found myself using the TR8s for sample-based drum machine material (importing all my old samples of the 505, RZ-1, RX11 etc) but not so much for the modelled sounds.

I am hoping that the RD-8 will finally satisfy my craving for decent analogue 808 sounds at a price I can justify!
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Postby Zukan » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:09 pm

The Elf wrote:Hey, Eddie - I'd love to hear more of those stories, mate! Maybe one for a sausage and beer?!

Def my friend. Guinness at Synthfest then many coffees.
Zukan

Postby FrankF » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:49 pm

Elf and Dave B, that is fascinating! I knew Dolby had used the Movement Drum Computer on the magnificent Golden Age of Wireless, but I'd never have guessed that there were Simmons sounds on there as well. I shall mock those toms no more, no never no more.
Great pic of the Movement here:
http://www.vintagesynth.com/misc/mcs_drumcomputer.php

Now I'm wondering about all the unusual percussion sounds on One of our Submarines, which I believe was recorded about the same time as Golden Age...

Back to the RD-808 ;) : save yourselves £300 with this freebie! You can even save your patterns as .wav files, AND choose different drumkits. :bouncy:
(Uli B missed a trick there, mefinks.)
https://html5drummachine.com/virtual-drum-machine/
FrankF
Regular

Postby The Elf » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:05 pm

Rich Hanson wrote:I was going to defend the 606 until I realised I was thinking of the 707 :roll: :D
The less said about the 707, the better... :beamup:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Rich Hanson » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:11 pm

Well I liked it :P
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster

Postby Dave B » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:12 pm

Frank, that’s the first I’ve heard about the Movement - was it even available then? I thought that it was Henry (ppg Wavecomputer 340/380) which generated the actual sequences that drove the SDS5.

Interestingly, he also acquired a tr606 and tb303 sometime which he used to demo ideas - famously down a phone to Michael Jackson ..
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby The Elf » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:14 pm

Rich Hanson wrote:Well I liked it :P
Ah, you're the one! ;) :lol:
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby FrankF » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:52 pm

Dave B wrote:Frank, that’s the first I’ve heard about the Movement - was it even available then? I thought that it was Henry (ppg Wavecomputer 340/380) which generated the actual sequences that drove the SDS5.

Interestingly, he also acquired a tr606 and tb303 sometime which he used to demo ideas - famously down a phone to Michael Jackson ..
Yes, the wave computer is credited on almost every track in my Wireless CD sleeve-notes, so maybe he used the Movement later: he's name-dropped in the Vintagesynth link above, whence my confusion.
Excellent interview with TD here: he wrote Hyperactive for Michael Jackson! Well, you learn summat new every day.
https://www.songfacts.com/blog/interviews/thomas-dolby
FrankF
Regular

Postby DGL. » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:52 pm

..and talking about Simmonds drums, the all Simmonds kit that Roger Rizzitelli used on JMJ's 1981 China concerts, even the cymbals were Simmonds!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l51VPwyyd5U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQOJny6oy7A

and as for the movement drum computer, it was supposedly shown off to Depeche Mode and they gave the designers a really punchy bass drum sound made on the 2600 to sample into their machine so they could see how good it was, about a week later they returned only for them to find out that the bass drum had got from puncy and full life to being really weak.

The MDS was also used a lot by Dave Stewart (Eurythmics) and is the computer shown in the "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)" video, being operated by Dave.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:39 pm

nathanscribe wrote:I am hoping that the RD-8 will finally satisfy my craving for decent analogue 808 sounds at a price I can justify!
If you've got the TR-8S I don't think the RD-8 will give you anything significant, TBH. I think Roland really cracked those old TR machine sounds in the 8/8S. I so wish they'd put the CR78 in there and it truly would have been my dream machine. As it is I have CR78 samples, but there's just something not quite right about them in sample form.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby resistorman » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:03 am

I was inspired by Desmond’s post to install the RC 808 app and I have to say those evolved sounds will be integrated into my music going forward.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby nathanscribe » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:20 am

The Elf wrote:
nathanscribe wrote:I am hoping that the RD-8 will finally satisfy my craving for decent analogue 808 sounds at a price I can justify!
If you've got the TR-8S I don't think the RD-8 will give you anything significant, TBH. I think Roland really cracked those old TR machine sounds in the 8/8S. I so wish they'd put the CR78 in there and it truly would have been my dream machine. As it is I have CR78 samples, but there's just something not quite right about them in sample form.

Agreed on the CR-78. Wonder if they'll release an update..?

As for the sound, I've never had my hands on an original 808 to compare. I do have the 606 and a clone 909 here, and I was very impressed with the kick/snare/tom modelling of the 606, less so with the cymbal/hats, which are tonally very different to mine. I suspect they're just like the engineering team's reference machine though, as these old things do differ. The 909 sounds I'm less convinced by, they feel a bit clean to me. I've found myself adding noise in and a touch of grit to help liven things up a touch. The modelling Roland are doing is good, and the machines are enjoyable and all that, but I'm finding I need just a smidge more wonk than they offer out of the box.
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster

Postby johnny h » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:10 pm

The TR8s is a big improvement on the original TR8 but I think Behringer will blow Roland away with this. It is my understanding that they do not have the capability to compete with it. They farm out their analogue products so margins are a little tighter than you would imagine.

I haven't directly compared the 808 to the RD-8 but everything I tried in Superbooth sounded fantastic. As much as I hate the company, they are making some great products for amazing prices right now.
johnny h
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Elf » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:24 pm

I've had most of Roland's drum machines through my hands at some time, starting with the charmingly dreadful DR-55. I replaced my 808/909 (as I mentioned, the less said about the 707 the better - :tongue: :D ) with the Novation Drumstation, which I felt was close enough, if a bit of a faff. The TR-8 replaced the Drumstation.

The TR-8 gave way to the TR-8S.

I never made a study of the difference in sound. For me it was always a case of 'close enough'.

The TR-8S sounds close enough for me and is very convenient and flexible. I can load it up with all my favourite drum hits and have them on hand instantly. I can even load my stick trigger samples and use those to fire my Simmons module; never underestimate the difference the trigger sound makes to a Simmons - it is absolutely critical. Stereo sample playback too, which is a huge plus in my book.

For the predicted price the RD-8 is a winner. Do I need it? Nah. Do I want it? For that money, hell yes!
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Stratman57 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:03 pm

Never had an 808, but I've still got DR110, and it still works.

Regards, Simon.
Stratman57
Regular

Postby nathanscribe » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:23 pm

The Elf wrote: the less said about the 707 the better - :tongue: :D

I sampled my old TR-505 a while back, you're welcome to a set. Stick 'em in the TR8s, it'll make the 707 sound good again. :D
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster

Previous