You are here

AirWindows plugins

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: AirWindows plugins

Postby Martin Walker » Tue May 21, 2019 1:54 pm

Hi CS70,

Thanks for the compliments, and I'm pleased you're hearing the benefits already 8-)

As you say, perhaps your gain staging already suited the Console5 pair, although my experience suggests that the more tracks have Console5 on them, the more the euphonic effects blossom at the summing stage.

I put Console5 on my reverb buss as well as the normal channels, but then it gets a little complicated, since (referring to my above screenshot):

1. The final plug-in in each channel is Console5Channel.

2. The first plug-in in the reverb buss must therefore be Channel5Buss (to complete the pair), so that each aux send travels from c5channel to c5buss for summing together.

3. The final plug-in in the reverb buss is now Console5Channel again, so that when the reverb buss reaches the master Channel it sees the initial Console5Buss plug-in, to once again complete the pairing.

This routing may all sound complex at first, but once you incorporate it into a project template you never have to think about it again. That's partly why I wrote my web page - I had to think all this confusion through for myself, but many people seem to give up before this stage and abandon the potential 3D benefits, which is a great shame ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Elephone » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:45 pm

Thanks. On the Console6Channel plugin, he writes:

"Place one Console6Channel plugin on each sound source with unity gain [input level = output level] through the mix structure into the Console6Buss plugin."

What does he mean by the " through the mix structure"...? Is there another particular flow I should stick to?
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Postby Elephone » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:07 pm

Sorry I've just read your article and understand now. Thanks.
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:41 pm

Elephone wrote:Sorry I've just read your article and understand now. Thanks.

Well that's a relief ;)

I love what Chris Johnson of Airwindows achieves with his often unusual algorithms, but he tends not to be very clear with the operational details, which is why I spent so much time investigating his Console range.

Basically I understood how he intended them to work, but not how you could maximise that effect, so at first I scarcely heard any improvement. It was only as I continued to tweak the gain/mix structure that I began to get consistent extra detail in the mix, and having made notes along the way I wanted to help others reach that nirvana that had taken me so long 8-)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby blinddrew » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:32 pm

Which reminds me that I need to take a proper look at this again at some point.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Zukan » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:15 am

Martin Walker wrote:
Martin Walker wrote:I've now spent a LOT of time exploring Console5 and its variants. At first I could definitely hear its effects, but they seemed very subtle indeed. However, I've now perfected suitable gain-staging to get the very best out of them, and can vary their effects from 'just perceptible' through 'spot on' to 'overly exaggerated'.

Well, I've FINALLY finished a write-up of my Console5 findings on my web site, including hints and tips and a before/after audio demo.

SOUNDWORLDS 7: Optimising Airwindows Console5
http://www.yewtreemagic.co.uk/soundworlds7.php

Hope some of you find it useful! ;)

Martin

Brilliant! That's what I've been after.

Thanks Martin.
Zukan

Postby Elephone » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:54 pm

I don't think I've ever seen this use of plugins in (encode-decode) pairs before. I wonder if other developers are missing a trick.
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:32 pm

Another question for Martin on Console 5/6 - sorry!
Does this still work if I've instantiated it, then frozen the channels? Or does it require all the instances to be active?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Previous