You are here

Hows my mix?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Hows my mix?

Postby Ractor » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:35 am

Hows my mix? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm concerned about the vocal level mostly. https://youtu.be/wgfnD9MyU94
Ractor
New here

Re: Hows my mix?

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:50 am

Hi Ractor, and welcome to the SOS Forums! 8-)

I've just approved this your first post, so you can now get some feedback on this track of yours.

I've just had a quick listen at low volume and really liked what I heard. Lovely attitude and good instrumental balance and separation. I'll listen later on a bit louder and see whether I notice anything more, but on this first listen the vocal level sounded fine to me.

However, it would be most useful to know more about you and your music - tell us more!

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Ractor » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:59 pm

Thank you Martin. I appreciate this greatly.

I did a couple demos 20 years ago. But that was before i could learn so much from YouTube. And the last 6 months if been learning everything i can about recording, mixing and mastering. I have not mastered it yet. I spent about the last 9 days , 12 hours a day mixing it. My next song will probably take only a few hours now that i have a better idea what i need to do.

I'm in London Ontario. I did everything. I made the drums with samples with Addictive drums. The guitar is a low end Les Paul recorded through Amplitube, a Mesa Dual and a 5150. Both with a couple different mics on each cabinet. Jazz bass, played through Amplitube Ampeg. Bass DI, very slight distortion on just the hi frequencies. And a SM7B. I use Abbey Road Studio 3 virtual studio. Since i dont have sound treatment in my room or a sub. I referenced it with a few songs on as many different speakers i could find.

And for all the mixing. Everything was in the box. Using Studio One. I listened to what other pros were using for analog gear on each instrument and mix bus. And i researched for those specific emulations.

Let me know if you want to more. Again, Thank you !
Ractor
New here

Postby mammy » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:44 pm

electro guitars are a bit dry . you can add them reverb and delay .when ı listen ı wanna hear bigger and fuller guitars .finally vocal sound is a bit low .bass guitar is a bit thin.you should thick it. if yo do these things your mix will be perfect :thumbup:
mammy
Regular

Postby Ractor » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:04 pm

Thanks Mammy. Will see what i can do. :thumbup: . I have reverb on the guitars panned to the opposite side. Ill just bring them up. I should put delay though? i assume a real short one
Ractor
New here

Postby blinddrew » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:18 pm

Not really my genre so feel free to discard, but I'd agree with Mammy that the guitars could do with a bit more verb. It may open up a bit of a can of worms though because if you do that you might find you need to do the same with the drums; the snare in particular is very forward and might feel too much so.
Very accomplished composition and playing / programming throughout, plenty of structural variety to keep it interesting.
Going back to your first question though, I'd be tempted to nudge up the vocal during the louder sections. But I'm a singer so I would say that.. ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Ractor » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:42 pm

Thanks BlindDrew. I had all the reverb set up. It was just so low that it was basically off. Bring it in on the guitars and drums really help glue the mix together. Specially the guitars. Ill be uploading an updated version soon. You guys are the best. Theres no way i would have figured that out on my own. But i can hear everything you guys are saying now.
Ractor
New here

Postby blinddrew » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:47 pm

If, like me, you're fairly new to mixing, I think one of the most powerful tools you can use on any mix is a second opinion. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:41 am

Hi again Ractor!

Glad you've had plenty more feedback already. I've just listened at a more realistic playback level and can now hear the things others have mentioned more easily. It's ironic that your vocals seem clearer at low playback levels :headbang:

The first vocals from 0:13 onwards could do with perhaps 1 or 2dB increase in level, as could the harmony vocal between 0:19 and 0:22 (I didn't even notice this harmony previously, but it would strengthen the mix to pull it up with the main vocal).

However, I personally think the 1:05 to 1:25 vocals are already at the perfect level.

At 1:33 to 1:50 they could come up a little again, as the tracks getting more aggressive at this point. However, once again at 1:51 the song has quietened down a little and I think your vocals already sit fine at this point.

I love the twin dry chugging guitars between 0:55 to 1:03, but I agree with the others that some added reverb would help in other places to enrich the mix.

Hope this helps - I'm looking forward to hearing the next mix tweaks! :thumbup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Ractor » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:21 pm

Thanks Martin. This helps greatly. ! And to everyone else also. This is priceless. I can hear everything you guys are saying now. So im basically remixing the whole thing. I found i had alot of stuff over processed. I also tried to add some semblance to the first and last megaphone parts. And i changed everything just alittle. So im cleaning it up. I should have a new version today. Hopefully im going in the right direction :)
Ractor
New here

Postby Ractor » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:04 am

Here is the updated version. I still have to lower the hihat just alittle. https://youtu.be/PRGUM-LDeV8
Ractor
New here

Postby blinddrew » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:35 am

Just had a quick listen on headphones and that's sounding more coherent to me.
Hi-hat level sounded fine.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby tsongming » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:31 am

Martin Walker wrote:Hi Ractor, and welcome to the SOS Forums! 8-)

I've just approved this your first post, so you can now get some feedback on this track of yours.

I've just had a quick listen at low volume and really liked what I heard. Lovely attitude and good instrumental balance and separation. I'll listen later on a bit louder and see whether I notice anything more, but on this first listen the vocal level sounded fine to me.

However, it would be most useful to know more about you and your music - tell us more!

Martin

Hey Martin ,

I just joined SOS simply to tell you that the song was amazing! As far as the mix is concerned, I listened to the song twice, and it reminds me a little of Tool, who I love.

No doubt, there are a couple of moments that need to be tweaked, but you have already increased the vocal volume, there is a copy of spots that sound a little flat but no big deal. I believe that if you add a couple of minor additions such automated panning, stronger compression on some of the vocal parts etc, that could still improve something that is great already into something that is just stellar. For example, at !:10, I feel that if you added a very subtle distant phrasing guitar riff or maybe very subtle strings, or maybe a cello, would be a nice addition. I will listen to it more because as I mentioned I really enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing.
tsongming

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:14 pm

Ractor wrote:Here is the updated version. I still have to lower the hihat just alittle. https://youtu.be/PRGUM-LDeV8

Wow - loving this mix Ractor. The vocal hang together so much better in the context of the track, and the the harmony vocals now ring through loud and clear.

I see you've added a little reverb to those chugging guitars and this does work well in making them sound even bigger.

Only two points occur in this latest listen.

1. The megaphone-style vocals sound great and are much better balanced, but I did feel the clean vocal sections (e.g. 1:09 onwards) might be more powerful if they were more 'up front' and intimate, and had a little less reverb.

2. The I found the ending a tiny bit disappointing - you have SO much power in the rest of the track, and then the end just seems to fade out (a little too quickly) leaving some hiss. Perhaps a single final guitar ending 'chug', a short squeal of feedback, a drum hit, but I do think it needs something with more punch.

Don't leave your listeners underwhelmed after such a wonderful track! ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:16 pm

tsongming wrote:Hey Martin ,

I just joined SOS simply to tell you that the song was amazing! As far as the mix is concerned, I listened to the song twice, and it reminds me a little of Tool, who I love.

Hi tsongming, and welcome to the SOS Forums! 8-)

Glad you like this track as much as I did, and thanks for your more detailed comments, but it's by Ractor, and not me ;)

Martn
Martin Walker

Postby blinddrew » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:13 pm

Just to pick up on tsongming's points above, I'm really not familiar with the genre but in a more 'pop' production I'd be expecting a bit more in the way of sound-design / ear candy. Not sure if that's relevant in this area but have a listen to some of your references and look out for it.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Dave B » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:33 pm

I'm trying to work out if the vocal needs to come up more, but the snare is really offputting. It's very dry and high in the mix. I'd try using some more ambience (reverb(s)) to give the drums a bit more of a sense of space and taking the snare down quite a bit. Then decide how the vocal balances.

And ... I hate to get picky .. but it also seems like the vocal tuning is a little off in places. I'm all in favour of not going all overboard on autotune, but it can help pull the tuning into line a bit if used subtly.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:13 pm

Dave B wrote:And ... I hate to get picky .. but it also seems like the vocal tuning is a little off in places. I'm all in favour of not going all overboard on autotune, but it can help pull the tuning into line a bit if used subtly.

Yep, I heard that, but it's only a few notes, but subtle use of Autotune would no doubt deal with it without being at all obvious. I use ReaTune in Reaper, which works beautifully without drawing attention to itself.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Ractor » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:14 pm

Great ideas guys. You are the best. Seriously. I'm learning to much. I left the end like that so when i master it i can fade it all out with those guitars. I agree it does fade out too quick. That same hanging part happens a few times through the song. So it leaves the listener expecting another something. I put those whispers on the other hangs to keep the listener interested. And to basically let them know its not over. I can see feedback making it distinctive , and give more of a finally feel to it for sure. Ill see what i can do.

I am concerned that the lead guitar is too loud too. I have auto-tune on all of it. But it might have been not enough, i was worried people would hear the auto tube artifacts. I was expecting someone to say they can hear the auto-tune.. I'm Not quite sure what is off. But it might be some flatness at the start of some lines. Ill use auto tune to find the spots. I'm glad you liked the song tsongming. Its my first one :)
Ractor
New here

Postby Ractor » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:21 am

Ractor
New here

Next