You are here

What's a fair price for someone to mix my pre-recorded stems/ WAVs?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

What's a fair price for someone to mix my pre-recorded stems/ WAVs?

Postby TheLegit » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:41 pm

As opposed to spending time in a studio recording tracks, how much would it cost if I handed pre-recorded tracks to a mix engineer to finish the job?

If included vocal tuning and timing into the mix what's the damage here

(UK Based by the way!)
TheLegit
Regular

Re: What's a fair price for someone to mix my pre-recorded stems/ WAVs?

Postby Dave B » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:58 pm

This is a piece of string / can of worms I'm afraid. There's no right answer here.

You may find someone online who will mix them for tens of pounds per track. You may also find someone who will want 3 figures, or even 4 depending on their status / experience in the industry. And that's just the beginning. If they have to do extra remedial work (tuning / timing / editing) then it will cost more and that cost will be based on how much they do. And then you'd need to agree it / decide if you really want it done.

And does that include mastering? If so, how many formats would you like it mastered for? There's a few out there.

How many tracks are we talking about? And how complex - are we talking minimalist synth, or 200 tracks of orchestra?

A rough guide used to be a week / 2 weeks to mix a well recorded album (in the good old days of CDs) depending on the level you were working at. So it's a case of finding someone who can quote for the work, who you trust and whose work you like the sound of. And then haggle (politely) a bit..

There are people on this forum who I'd recommend in a heartbeat. But if you're after someone to do a pro job on 10 songs in 2 days at 50quid a day, then you'll be severely disappointed...
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby TheLegit » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:31 pm

Thanks Dave B, please do recommend anyone who has worked in EDM / Drum and Bass. I'm happy to pay say £300 a track all in is that fair for a good mixing engineer, below or over the odds?

This would include tuning, timing, the mix - it's a D n B song so not massively complex with loads of tracks
TheLegit
Regular

Postby Sam Inglis » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:33 pm

If I'm mixing on a paid basis I will initially quote a day rate, and once I'm familiar with the material, I'll get back to the client and offer them a fixed fee on the basis of how long I expect it to take.

As Dave B says, there's a wide variation in the amount of time it takes to mix a track, but usually once you've got a handle on one of the songs in a project, it becomes fairly clear how long the whole thing is going to take. Often there are economies of scale as you figure out, say, a vocal or drum sound that can serve as a starting point on multiple songs.

Vocal tuning can be very time-consuming to do well, especially if there are lots of backing vocals.
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:42 pm

TheLegit wrote:...please do recommend anyone who has worked in EDM / Drum and Bass.

Eddie Bazil is your man -- known around here as Zukan. He has contributed articles to the magazine about producing those genres, as well as writing tutorials on them for his own Samplecraze website and tutorials.

https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=145773

https://samplecraze.com/
H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Kwackman » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:44 pm

TheLegit wrote:recommend anyone who has worked in EDM / Drum and Bass.

Sounds like Zukan's territory?
https://samplecraze.com

[Just beaten to it by HR, but I'm posting anyway to show another vote for Zukan!)
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:40 pm

I'm happy to endorse Zukan as well - his level of knowledge and his golden ears in these genres never ceases to amaze, and a lot of his current workload is project mixing.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby The Elf » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:06 am

Yep, Zukan's the man. Pay him a fair price and you'll get a proper job back.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Wonks » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:09 am

Yes, Eddie "Will Mix for Minstrels" Bazil is your man.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:52 pm

Adding my voice in recommendation of Eddie Bazil - he's done some amazing work on my material. In a couple of sessions he sorted out a rather challenging track (which has elements very reminiscent of EDM) which I'd spent weeks on in the past, and which has a lot of layers of competing synth sounds. He made it sound fantastic :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, raising money for charity via music created by forum members at https://sosforumalbum.bandcamp.com

Postby TheLegit » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:45 pm

Thanks all will get in touch with Zukan sounds perfect, Eddie Deegan I just listened to your piano instrumental 'Martin' really beautiful at some point could I write lyrics and a melody for this piece? 50/50 split once it becomes a hit :mrgreen:
TheLegit
Regular

Postby Sam Inglis » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:22 pm

Wait, Eddie wrote a song about Martin? I know it's a friendly forum and all, but...
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby TheLegit » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:31 pm

Sam Inglis wrote:Wait, Eddie wrote a song about Martin? I know it's a friendly forum and all, but...

I didn't want to say anything but... :mrgreen:
TheLegit
Regular

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:37 pm

Sam Inglis wrote:Wait, Eddie wrote a song about Martin? I know it's a friendly forum and all, but...

What can I say? I'm a friendly guy :shh:

It's here for the curious.

TheLegit wrote:Thanks all will get in touch with Zukan sounds perfect, Eddie Deegan I just listened to your piano instrumental 'Martin' really beautiful at some point could I write lyrics and a melody for this piece? 50/50 split once it becomes a hit :mrgreen:

Thank you - I'm honestly very happy that people like it because it wasn't written for people to like, it was written to reflect emotions in sound. The original as it stands is fixed as a piece in its own right, but I'm open to 'alternative' takes on it as long as they too stand on their own two feet so if you have something you'd like to punt then please feel free to do so.

I might be a little guarded in accepting new versions so please don't be offended if I don't think it works. I don't want to be negative in the slightest, it's just that it's a piece with some seriousness behind it as opposed to 'just another track' and all that, but I really am open to people doing interpretations of their own.

(And no, I don't have a romantic crush on Martin, not that I'd be ashamed of it if I did but the motivations, though private, are purely based in friendship!)
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, raising money for charity via music created by forum members at https://sosforumalbum.bandcamp.com

Postby TheLegit » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:13 pm

Thanks Eddie if I do it I'll send you the song and you can give the go ahead to put it to the public or not.

On the note of my original question, got in touch with a local studio and they offered to record the vocals, tune, time them and then do the whole mix from my stems for £300! Weird they offered the exact amount I wanted to pay
TheLegit
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:31 pm

Sure they're not on here? ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby TheLegit » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:56 am

blinddrew wrote:Sure they're not on here? ;)

I was thinking that loool
TheLegit
Regular