You are here

Roland JU06A

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Roland JU06A

Postby The Elf » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:48 pm

Four voices...
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Roland JU06A

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:55 pm

You keep looking at Roland things. Stop looking at Roland things and much of the pain goes away just like that. I've been doing it for years and it works really well :D

In all seriousness, I think it's a shame that Roland keep 'resurrecting' good old ideas in either compromised digital forms or in tiny Noddy-town toy formats. If they took a leaf out of Uli's book and decided to do it properly with modern manufacturing techniques and full-fat features then I would be first to congratulate them.

They seem to be addicted to VLSI general purpose chipsets and tiny form factors though. Who knows, if Berry release the Jup-8 and it's anything like as good a clone as the model-D then perhaps they'll sit up and start taking notice. I'd be all over that, as their legacy is a great one, it's the modern stuff I have issues with.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, raising money for charity via music created by forum members at https://sosforumalbum.bandcamp.com

Postby The Elf » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:09 am

I'm burdened by this thing called 'hope'... :lol:
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby IAA » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:48 am

I know what you mean, it puzzles me. They need to get Darren with his JP8 restoration and put him in charge of R&D! :smirk:
IAA
Regular

Postby BJG145 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:25 am

Is there a larger integrated keyboard for these Roland boutique modules...? I could imagine something a bit like the Radias.

I quite like the look of the JU06A, though I'm resigned to using a laptop at gigs these days so I'll probably stick to software versions. (Even though it did go to sleep in the middle of a track last night and hung on a chord, grr.)
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Arpangel » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:10 am

BJG145 wrote:Is there a larger integrated keyboard for these Roland boutique modules...? I could imagine something a bit like the Radias.

I quite like the look of the JU06A, though I'm resigned to using a laptop at gigs these days so I'll probably stick to software versions. (Even though it did go to sleep in the middle of a track last night and hung on a chord, grr.)

Also, we must rid the world of the scurge of the dreaded, dispicable, 4 octave keyboard..
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:11 pm

Arpangel wrote:Also, we must rid the world of the scurge of the dreaded, dispicable, 4 octave keyboard..

I'm sorry to point this latest fiasco out Tony, but here's another impressive new entry tainted by your scourge ;)

:headbang:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Wonks » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:15 pm

You simply need two, one for each hand, with one transposed up an octave and the other down. Plus you'll then get true stereo and double the polyphony.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby johnny h » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:25 pm

1982: Roland Juno 60, 6xDCOs, fully analogue filter and envelopes, full size keyboard, 1/4" jacks, internal PSU
2019: Roland JU06A, 4 voice digital, no keyboard, useless toy case, flimsy mini-jacks, noisy as hell hum-ridden outputs, external USB PSU

The Deepmind is a far, far superior product to the JU06A and available in the same price bracket. More polyphony, fully analogue, sounds way better, full size keyboard, balanced 1/4" outputs, internal PSU.

Will people really compromise that much just to get a Roland badge - what is that worth nowadays? When is the last truly innovative thing they brought out - the 32 year old D-50?
johnny h
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby IAA » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:52 pm

I really liked their v-piano, built beautifully and decent sounding. Agree nothing on the synth front - they may say the whole cloud series.... It’s not perfect (I wish they’d standardise the preset management, GUI behaviour in Logic and re-code to get better CPU utilisation) but the Jupiter and SH 2 I really like!

But one suspects they are tilting their offer towards the project studio demographic- many of whom like the reduced form factor and don’t care so much about real analogue gear if it’s cheap enough, sounds ok and can make decent music on them- which many certainly can. .

Ian
IAA
Regular

Postby The Elf » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:03 pm

Johnny is bang on about the DeepMind. I had one for a few months and was very impressed. A genuinely great synth for the money - not my bag, but I can see it for what it is.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:05 pm

The Elf wrote:Johnny is bang on about the DeepMind. I had one for a few months and was very impressed. A genuinely great synth for the money - not my bag, but I can see it for what it is.

I was in two minds about it for a while and ended up not getting one. They sounded really nice from what I could hear on videos but I felt I'd get frustrated with the menu diving aspect of them, as I'm more and more of a knob-per-function man these days.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, raising money for charity via music created by forum members at https://sosforumalbum.bandcamp.com

Postby The Elf » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:15 pm

No menu diving unless you want to - if you just want Juno-esque sounds it's all there on the front panel. Mine was the 12D, which has fewer controls, but it certainly didn't seem onerous to dive in when I needed something a bit more tweaky.

Try one - if you like the sound of those old Junos you may fall in love.

Personally I grew to loathe the Juno series. Despite all this misty-eyed love from a new generation, we bought those Junos back in the day because they were cheap, not because they sounded good! :lol:
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby IAA » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:29 pm

because they were cheap]
- yep that’s true, I loved the chorus though. I remember buying mine from Carlsbro Sounds In Sheffield , the sales guy put the chorus on with the sub oscillator and it fair flapped my trousers. I walked out with one 10 mins later.... :D
IAA
Regular

Postby The Elf » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:36 pm

It needed the chorus to make up for the weedy single DCO - ugh! But yes, the chorus brought it to life. Once I heard a Jupiter 8, or even a JX-8P (which replaced my Juno 6) the game was up - no looking back!

And both of those came from Carlsbro Sheffield! :lol:
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby apislapis » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:06 pm

Awwww fellas, you're putting me off the JU06A. I bought the DM12D last month and I've only had a few opportunities to noodle with it thus far. I chose the DM12D because various reviews said it was more JU inspired than JU clone and I thought I may treat myself to the JU06A as it was a more faithful clone and last time I missed out on the JU 06. Are you guys suggesting I keep my money (which is usually a good thing) and carry on noodling with my DM12D?
apislapis

Postby The Elf » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:49 am

The DM12D is a *far* superior synth to any of the Boutique series in every way, and definitely has the Juno genes, though it is superior to any of the original Junos too. Honestly, they really weren't such good synths - they were for those of us who couldn't afford a Jupiter! :lol:

If you like the sound of the DM I would keep your money in your pocket.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby nathanscribe » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:52 pm

The Elf wrote:It needed the chorus to make up for the weedy single DCO - ugh! But yes, the chorus brought it to life. Once I heard a Jupiter 8, or even a JX-8P (which replaced my Juno 6) the game was up - no looking back!

And both of those came from Carlsbro Sheffield! :lol:

I bought my Juno 60 from Fox's Music in Leeds in 1995, and it bore a smattering of Carlsbro stickers. As well as some shiny go-faster stripes, which I promptly removed. That wasn't you, was it..? :D
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Postby The Elf » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:16 pm

Definitely not mine, but it does sound like one I knew! :o
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Blott » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:01 am

Roland have traded on their past reputation for decades.

I was a Roland fan boy, but they peaked in the mid 90's and it's been downhill ever since.

If you based their reputation on the last two decades rather than the last 4, it would not be a good one.

Their product support is terrible and they just abandon products.

Even flagship synths like the Jupiter 80 or Integra 7 receive little in the way of fixes or updates and you can no longer use the iPad editor (that too has simply been abandoned).

Scandalous really.

Wouldn't trust Roland as far I can throw them now.

Thankfully there's lots of alternatives these days, so it matters not, it's just a terrible shame to see how far the once mighty Roland have now fallen. :(
Blott
Regular
http://soundcloud.com/blottuk
http://blottuk.bandcamp.com

Next