You are here

Price of RW3 Rockwool...

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Price of RW3 Rockwool...

Postby molecular » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:42 pm

... is £18 for 5.76m2 from an online insulation dealer: http://www.insulation4less.co.uk/rw3-50mm.html

... and £43 for the same amount from studiospares: https://www.studiospares.com/Studio-Gear/Sound-Insulation/Rockwool-RW3-(8-Pack)_401982.htm

I've never been a big fan of them as they are a company that refuse to do anything about some fairly insane delivery charge issues, but am I missing something or is this a real swindle?
molecular
Frequent Poster
Anto mo Ninja, Watashi mo Ninja http://www.hectormacinnes.com

Re: Price of RW3 Rockwool...

Postby James Perrett » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:13 pm

I've found that if you want small quantities you'll end up paying a hefty delivery charge from the trade suppliers so the Studiospares price is reasonable for a single bale if they don't charge for delivery.

Haven't bought anything from Studiospare for years as I found their delivery times slowly getting longer. CPC do many similar items and you can't argue with free next day delivery (they say it may take longer but I've never known them not to do next day).
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby molecular » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:22 pm

Well my main gripe with studiospares has always been delivery, which is punitively expensive for the Highlands. Sure enough they want another £22 to deliver 1 pack and £60 to deliver four, so even the delivery is twice the competition... All in it's £233 for four packs from studiospares and £103 from insulation4less...

I'm always uneasy about buying anything with "4" in it like that - including prince albums - but I can't really argue with that price difference!
molecular
Frequent Poster
Anto mo Ninja, Watashi mo Ninja http://www.hectormacinnes.com

Postby Strangy » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:26 pm

Rockwool and similar insulation products are common materials for the building trade. Do you have a builders merchants nearby? something like Travis Perkins or Jewson etc. Some local merchants might deliver it for free/cheap or if you can drive/have access to a large car you should be able to squeeze a couple of packs in. No need to buy raw from a dedicated studio supplier if you are going the DIY route.
Strangy
Regular

Postby siderealxxx » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:42 pm

That's a fair price but you may well find it locally depending where you are. I found it near me after some hunting and it was cheaper than studiospares. I'd imagine it's a combination of not buying baulk and the fact that studiospares are often too expensive.
siderealxxx
Regular
Excess makes the heart grow fonder

Postby James Perrett » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:22 pm

Mine came from Travis Perkins' insulation company, CCF, who were similarly competitive on the first load but added a £25 delivery charge when I wanted a smaller second load. Other people have reported good prices from Sheffield Insulation - despite their name they have depots all over the country.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby SafeandSound Mastering » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:55 pm

I bought 100mm RW3 slabs from here years back, same old with the delivery charge, the 50mm RW3 is a shade cheaper than the link you posted:

http://www.just-insulation.com/002-brands/rockwool-mineral-slabs-flexi-rwa45-rw3-rw5-rw6.html

I found locally you tend to pay significantly more or they do not have it in stock.
SafeandSound Mastering
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:38 pm

Zombie thread from beyond...

Anyone got any good suggestions for RW3 suppliers?
Have tried the ones listed in this thread and they either don't have anything available to deliver (or collect) to my postcode, or have a minimum order that's way too high.
Best I've found is: https://www.insulationexpress.co.uk/roc ... 8HEALw_wcB
with a £25 delivery fee.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Kwackman » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:16 pm

Jewson's are a Rockwool stockist, and from their site there's a branch in York.
https://www.jewson.co.uk/building-mater ... nsulation/
Not sure if all branches do it, but worth a call?

Also..
https://www.selcobw.com/products/insula ... insulation
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby blinddrew » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:18 pm

Cheers Kwackman, will give them a look now.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:34 pm

Irritatingly that Selco link looks like the best bet but doesn't give a density. :(
Will try giving them a call tomorrow but doubt I'll get a sensible answer on that one...
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:38 pm

Like you I suspect Selco won't be able to give you an answer but I'm sure RTockwool themselves will, bung em an email. Failing that take some scales and weigh a pack (or ask Selco what the packs weigh, they may have the info available for H&S reasons?).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby blinddrew » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:28 pm

Good shout. Will do.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:37 am

Just under 16kg for the pack so about 35kg/m3.
Not enough irritatingly. Will give Jewson a call on monday but not sure if they sell direct to the public?
Ho hum. Didn't expect this to be easy but thought this bit might be a bit easier! :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Luke W » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:58 am

From what I remember they do. Around here they're a far better company to deal with than Travis Perkins as well, prices are usually a lot better too. Not sure if that's the same everywhere, but I suspect it might be...
Luke W
Regular
Techie / Musician Of Sorts

Postby Kwackman » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:04 pm

I went to a local building supplier (they were on Rockwool's list) and asked for RW3 as that's what I wanted. I can't remember if they had it in stock or they got it for me, but it wasn't a difficult process!

I may have missed something in the earlier discussions, but I'm not sure why you are getting weights to work out density etc.
Why not just ring, or better still call if it's not too far, and ask for RW3 (if that's what you want) in the thickness you require?

You can go on to Rockwool's site and find dealers by postcode if you want to try other companies closer to you.
https://www.rockwool.co.uk/about/stockist-finder/
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:57 pm

Luke W wrote:From what I remember they do. Around here they're a far better company to deal with than Travis Perkins as well, prices are usually a lot better too. Not sure if that's the same everywhere, but I suspect it might be...

I'm pretty sure I got my 45Kg/m3 via Travis Perkins down here in north cornwall, and they even delivered it free of charge!

I'd go for 60Kg/m3 nowadays though if I bought any more.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby blinddrew » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:59 pm

Kwackman wrote:I may have missed something in the earlier discussions, but I'm not sure why you are getting weights to work out density etc.
Why not just ring, or better still call if it's not too far, and ask for RW3 (if that's what you want) in the thickness you require?
Selco have Rockwool in stock locally but it has no reference number on the packet - hence establishing the density by weight.

Kwackman wrote:You can go on to Rockwool's site and find dealers by postcode if you want to try other companies closer to you.
https://www.rockwool.co.uk/about/stockist-finder/
Having a shufti now, thanks again. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:20 pm

I have a product code for the stuff the local places are carrying - but it's not a code that appears on the rockwool website. :headbang:
Email sent to rockwool, will let you know how I get on! :crazy:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:45 pm

Don't let them pull the rockwool over your eyes! :D
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Next