You are here

Power Conditioner/Surge and Spike Protection for small studio

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Power Conditioner/Surge and Spike Protection for small studio

Postby ozonepaul » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:01 pm

I would like to get some advise on the following subject.

I'll have to relocate my small studio for a few years from London UK (Europe) to Tunis, Tunisia (North Africa).
A friend of mine who lives there told me that recently his TV, his washing machine... nearly caught fire as there was a huge power surge/spike after a national festive event. I need to find a solution to keep my studio devices safe of similar events. I know pretty much nothing on the subject of "Power Conditioner/Surge and Spike Protection" devices, so I need a bit of help to find the right device for my needs.
After 30 minutes of research it's clear that FURMAN is the most well known brand for studio usage but which model/device shall I pick? (Models that were already suggested to me in other forums:
a.) Furman PL-PLUS CE (11 output)
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/furman15a-power-conditioner-with-lights-voltmeter-surge-and-spike-protection-isolated-banks-noise-fi
b.) Furman PL-Pro DMC E (11 output)
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/furman-power-conditioner-with-lights-volt-ammeter-surge-and-spike-protection-noise-filtration-usb-ch
c.) Furman CN-3600 SE (only 9 outputs)
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/furman-smartsequencer-power-conditioner-16-amp-bidirectional-sequencer-220v-240v-regions-surge-prote
I wouldn't like to spend more than what's really necessary. Why are the FURMAN products so much more expensive than products by brands such as "Adam Hall" or "Studiospares"? What are the key parameters/features I need to look for?
Here is the list of my powered studio devices:
1. PC computer
2. Pair of Neumann KH 310 speakers
3. Pair of Avantone Mixcube speakers
4. 2 x computer monitors
5. Native Instruments Mascine mkIII pad controller (can be USB powered but I've been using it plugged in)
6. Roland A300 Keyboard Controller (can USB powered but I've been using it plugged in)
7. SPL Crimson audio interface
8. Nord Stage Keyboard
9. Yamaha DTXtreme III electronic drum set

As I never use the Nord Stage keyboard and the DTXtreme electronic drum kit at the same time I can survive with a device with only 9 outputs but ideally there should be total of 10,11 or 12 sockets/outputs.

Thanks a lot for your help :crazy:
ozonepaul
Poster

Re: Power Conditioner/Surge and Spike Protection for small studio

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:23 pm

If I were you, I'd invest in one or two APC online UPS units.

That's really the only way you can guarantee your equipment will survive the kinds of surges and brownouts you're describing.

An online UPS constantly generates a pure sinewave AC mains supply from its internal battery, completely independently of the incoming mains which is only used to recharge the batteries.

Not cheap, but certainly the best solution in my view.

Devices advertised as 'power conditioners' vary enormously in their capabilities, with most being utterly pointless. The expensive ones can be okay, but rely on variacs to track incoming voltage variations and are fine at dealing with typical network loading issues, but not with sudden massive spikes and surges. They have other means of dealing with spikes, but these are often sacrificial devices and once blown your protection is lost... and few bother to indicate when they have blown!

Add up the power load requirements of all your gear (identified on plates near the mains inlet, usually in 'VA' rather than watts), then go to the APC site and find an online (NOT line-interactive) UPS which can exceed that load, taking in account the duration you want it to continue to run if there is a major power outage. The site has calculators for that...

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Mike Stranks » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:31 pm

At least it's the same voltage and frequency there! :thumbup:
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby ozonepaul » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:01 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:...The site has calculators for that...H

Thanks a lot for your help.
Is this the link to the calculator you suggested?
https://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/tools/ups_selector/

Thanks
ozonepaul
Poster

Postby ozonepaul » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:44 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:At least it's the same voltage and frequency there! :thumbup:

Yes, I forgot to mention that. :oops:

+ Here is the list of my powered studio devices again with their respective max. power usage in Watts:
1. PC computer 550W
2. Pair of Neumann KH 310 speakers 2x300W
3. Pair of Avantone Mixcube speakers 2x130W
4. 2 x computer monitors 55W+80W
5. Native Instruments Mascine mkIII pad controller (can be USB powered but I've been using it plugged in)
6. Roland A300 Keyboard Controller (can USB powered but I've been using it plugged in)
7. SPL Crimson audio interface 20W
8. Nord Stage Keyboard 15W
9. Yamaha DTXtreme III electronic drum set 18W

So the total power consumption is 100% less than 1600 Watts. :crazy:
ozonepaul
Poster

Postby Zukan » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:28 am

And make sure it has a good battery backup. Lost a ton of work once....sigh.
Zukan