You are here

8 channel preamp - £600

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

8 channel preamp - £600

Postby dickiefunk » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:02 pm

Hi,

I'm looking to get an 8 channel preamp for my studio for general tracking duties of guitars, vocals and bass. My budget is £600 and I would like the following features :-

1/ 2+ DI's on the front
2/ ADAT and analogue outputs
3/ 1u rackmountable
4/ All controls + power switch on the front

I've been having a look around and I'm interested in the following options :-

1/ Tascam 8p Dyna
2/ Focusrite Clarett OctoPre
3/ Audient ASP 800 (though no power button)
4/ Arturia AudioFuse 8-Pre

I will be connecting these to a Motu 828-ES interface. I also have a Warm TB12 preamp and Klark Teknik KT-2A and 76-KT compressors which I use during tracking. I also have an Audient Mico though I will be selling this because the 8 channel pre will be replacing this.
I've had great experience with the Audient Mico and really like what the HMX feature does on this preamp. However, I am put off by this not having and power switch!?
I have also had good experience with Focusrite ISA pres (which I believe the Clarett OctoPre is modelled on but without the Lundahl transformer)? There's a lot of great reviews on the quality of the Clarett preamps. However, these don't have any pads on the pres? Also, I like the fact that the Audient has the HMX and Iron features for adding subtle tone shaping. I also noticed that both of these need a d-sub cable for the outputs.
I notice that Focusrite has a cheaper Scarlett OctoPre and I'm wondering if Focusrite will be updating this to the Scarlett Gen 3 spec as the pres in those are said to be a step up. If they do I would also be interested to know how these compare to the Scarlett and Audient ASP.
I don't know anything about the Tascam 8p Dyna or Arturia AudioFuse units and don't know how these compare to either the Audient or Focusrite Clarett in audio quality performance?

What would you recommend from these units? Are there any others I've missed that would be worth checking out?
dickiefunk
Frequent Poster
http://www.richardpenrose.com

Re: 8 channel preamp - £600

Postby James Perrett » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:34 am

I would say that the Audient sounds ideal - I'm sure that there are ways of incorporating an external power switch into the system if it is really important. I have the older ASP008 which just works as it should with easy to read controls and everything you need in a preamp. The Focusrite interface that sits under it feels like a toy in comparison with fiddly controls and no visual feedback. The only missing feature on the Audient is a word clock output (which you probably won't need).
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Ramirez » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:28 am

If the Focusrite appeals, then also look at the Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen and the Clarett 8pre. They both do all that you want as well as being a rather nifty backup interface for you.

Aled
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
Bill Withers while Tom Waits, and Stan Getz

Postby ef37a » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:52 am

If the ability to turn the pre amp on and off independantly is important get a trio of wireless mains switches.

I have had 3 on my TV/Freeview recorder rig for a good 5 years, never a problem and I can do a power cycle on individual devices from my armchair!

I have another set in a bedroom which have the added handy "all on" or "all off" facilty for the 4 stations though I am onlly using 3.

Handy wee boxes in many situations where you don't want to dive in amongst the dust and spiders.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Inglis » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:39 am

We are supposed to be receiving an Audiofuse 8Pre for review soon. It looks an interesting product and does have some nice features such as separate line inputs that don't go through the mic preamp circuits, and insert points on inputs 1/2.

The specs are a bit confusing, though. The Audient ASP880 specs state that the mic inputs can accommodate levels of up to +22dBu without pad and +32dBu with the pad. Arturia's specs quote a maximum level of +11dBu, but it's not clear whether this relates to use with the pad or not.
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby dickiefunk » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:46 pm

ef37a wrote:If the ability to turn the pre amp on and off independantly is important get a trio of wireless mains switches.

I have had 3 on my TV/Freeview recorder rig for a good 5 years, never a problem and I can do a power cycle on individual devices from my armchair!

I have another set in a bedroom which have the added handy "all on" or "all off" facilty for the 4 stations though I am onlly using 3.

Handy wee boxes in many situations where you don't want to dive in amongst the dust and spiders.

Dave.

Could you post a link to the product you’re using please?
dickiefunk
Frequent Poster
http://www.richardpenrose.com

Postby ef37a » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:35 pm

dickiefunk wrote:
ef37a wrote:If the ability to turn the pre amp on and off independantly is important get a trio of wireless mains switches.

Dave.

Could you post a link to the product you’re using please?

Certanly: https://www.diy.com/departments/electri ... 764792.cat

Not my exact model, got those from the local Homebase before they closed it. There are many and varied models and prices.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster