You are here

Videos of new equipment from IBC

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Videos of new equipment from IBC

Postby John Willett » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:31 pm

The IPS (Institute of Professional Sound) have sent a film crew over to Amsterdam to interview the experts on the stands about new equipment they are showing.

The landing page for the 2019 videos is HERE

Videos are being added here as they are finished - up so far are:-

AETA
Rycote
Microtech Gefell
Schoeps
DPA
Sound Devices
Hawk-Woods
Cinela
Hide-A-Mic
Spiritland mobile
Zaxcom
Wisycom
Lectrosonics
and no doubt more to come.

I know some people were particularly interested in the new Sound Devices stuff, but there is at least one video here to suit everyone. :thumbup:

Previous years can be seen here :thumbup:
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Re: Videos of new equipment from IBC

Postby Arpangel » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:16 am

Interested in that Zaxcom video John, their stuff is truly beyond.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby John Willett » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:25 am

Arpangel wrote:Interested in that Zaxcom video John, their stuff is truly beyond.

Personally I avoid Zaxcom - I would go for Sound Devices, Nagra or Sonosax. :thumbup:
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby Arpangel » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:53 am

John Willett wrote:
Arpangel wrote:Interested in that Zaxcom video John, their stuff is truly beyond.

Personally I avoid Zaxcom - I would go for Sound Devices, Nagra or Sonosax. :thumbup:

Do you remember that Zaxcom Mike had? That was very interesting, I can remember both of us making identical recordings/back-ups using that Zaxcom, a Sound Devices, and a Roland portable, at the Roundhouse in Camden, a big choir/orchestral session. Even Mike had to admit there was something not quite right about the other machines, it was the high frequencies, the Zaxcom was the most natural, it just sounded right, it didn't draw your attention in any way.
Ever since then I think I'd definitely get one if I had the money, ergonomics aern't that great though, niether is realiabillity, but they may have improved by now.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby John Willett » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:39 pm

The new mic. pre-amps in the latest Sound Devices units are much better than those of the old 700 series (even if the 700 series were more expensive).

Even the new inexpensive MixPre II units have better mic. pre's. :thumbup:

Give them a try. :thumbup:
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services

Postby hooty2 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:32 am

Great link...thank you.
Caused a queue outside bathroom this morning
hooty2
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:20 am

John Willett wrote:The new mic. pre-amps in the latest Sound Devices units are much better than those of the old 700 series (even if the 700 series were more expensive).

Even the new inexpensive MixPre II units have better mic. pre's. :thumbup:

Give them a try. :thumbup:

If I did more location stuff, or more mic recording in general, I'd probably think about getting better stuff, but really it's just for our jam sessions, and the odd outdoor field recording.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:23 am

John Willett wrote:The new mic. pre-amps in the latest Sound Devices units are much better than those of the old 700 series (even if the 700 series were more expensive).

With respect, 'much better' seems a little over-hyped... The 700 series preamps were pretty good and made a lot of very high quality recordings. I'm sure Sound Devices have found some incremental improvements in their newer units, but let's not get too carried away... :D
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Arpangel » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:35 am

I use a Tascam DR100 for anything outside of home, rehearsals, jams etc, it's perfectly fine, for what I do. I have experience of Sound Devices stuff when working with friends, and it's more than fine, but when I had a chance to hear the Zaxcom, even to my ears, it was "an obvious" jump in quallity over the other units we were using, and I still say, that if I had the budget, it's what I would go for, definitely, but it would be a bit like using a Bugatti to go half a mile to the corner shop every day.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster