You are here

Studio door pressure latch? WHere from?

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Studio door pressure latch? WHere from?

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:16 pm

Anyone know where you can buy those latches for studio doors that sort of pull tight when you click them shut? Sorry, I don't know the proper name! But a bit like the catches on a flight case, as you close them, it pulls the door tighter in?

Cheers
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Re: Studio door pressure latch? WHere from?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:44 pm

Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:28 pm

look up a euro 2000 refrigerated door latch
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Now available for consultations and audio engineering jobs .  Also guitar tech work , and “rent-a-shredder” sessions .  Oxfordshire based but can and will travel .  Email maxtech.audio@me.com

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:24 am

Compression Latch, yes, that's it. Thanks chaps. This ebay one will probably do the job for me: https://www.amazon.co.uk/AKG-K702-Open-Back-Reference-Headphones/dp/B001RCD2DW/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=akg+k701&qid=1571043684&sr=8-4

£15 as against £300 for the other one.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby blinddrew » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:54 am

Think you may have your links mixed up...
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:55 am

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:Compression Latch, yes, that's it. Thanks chaps. This ebay one will probably do the job for me: https://www.amazon.co.uk/AKG-K702-Open-Back-Reference-Headphones/dp/B001RCD2DW/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=akg+k701&qid=1571043684&sr=8-4

£15 as against £300 for the other one.

Hmm...

Hope this isn't a case of famous last words :beamup:

Fingers crossed for you!

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:12 am

Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Wonks » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:38 am

It looks very much on the small side to me. Their measurements aren't that informative or clear (as they state 70mm is 0.23"), but a 70mm handle is far to short to me for a full-size door (the lever handle on our standard lounge door is 80mm long). I certainly couldn't get four fingers on a 70mm handle, and because of the short length, the leverage will be low. I'd suggest at least a 100mm handle for this.

It's really not meant for this application and I don't think a zinc alloy would last particularly long.

You only want one handle to hold a full-size door firmly closed all round against a seal, and that means you'll a certain size and robustness to do so. You don't want to have a latch top, middle and bottom of a door.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:46 am

Good point, I hadn't clocked the daintiness of it. Thanks.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Wonks » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:50 am

And I'd seriously look at Max's suggestion. You don't want a door that can only be opened from the inside. If you fall ill or slip over...

And I'm sure it would be against building regs. None of those other handles have applications listed for where people are expected to work inside the container and have the handle on the inside.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:58 am

Totally OTT for my needs in every way. And sensationally ugly to boot!
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:02 am

Does the door actually need a latch? The standard BBC studio door solution is to use magnetic sealing strips -- like in a fridge. Air tight, firm enough to keep the door closed and easy enough to push/pull open...

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:10 am

It's very much a household door modified with board and seals etc so I don't think there's anywhere to put magnetic seals but I've been thinking about one of those automatic door closing spring-loaded things as an alternative but not sure this would be strong enough to compress the rubber seals properly. This sort of chap...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Auto-Closing-Surface-Mounted-Fire-Rated-Adjustable-Door-Closer-Spring-Loaded/273627861024?epid=8021584807&hash=item3fb57dd020:m:mrlZ4cLi_DawCZuyLMR0SUA
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby James Perrett » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:06 pm

I use these

https://www.toolstation.com/door-closer-size-3/p72799

though my door hanging skills aren't great so sometimes they need a little help to create a good seal. The magnetic seals in my old studio would give a much more satisfying thunk when they closed.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:17 pm

Do these press quite firmly?
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Wonks » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:53 pm

It's going to depend on how parallel the door sits against the seals when closed. If when closed, the door is nice and parallel to the seal, then just some slight compression will be needed to keep the door closed and the seal made. But if the door is closer to the seal at the hinge end than the latch end, then you are going to need a lot more pressure to compress the seal around the hinge end first before the latch-end seal makes.

And if the hinge is to far from the seal at the hinge end, then you'll never get the door sealed properly.

Don't forget that you'll need a good seal at the bottom of the door, so unless you plan to have a raised threshold and a lip at the bottom/all-round door jamb, then you'll need rising hinges with a seal along the bottom of the door.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:21 am

One of the numerous fundamental issues with door closers such as that is that they are fitted at the top of the door, and you do not get the same closure force at the base of the door.
with typical timber DIY door build ups, this leads over time to a warped door that never gets a complete seal.,

the problem of the euro2000 may also be that it only comes in certain thicknesses, and is designed for significant door depth.

the smallest one works well if you're using an FD60 solid core door, and a layer of 25mm mdf, and a layer of 22mm ply, and two layers of MLV.

which is a bloody heavy old door.

but by gum it works. (and requires a much bigger heavier door frame than normal, and much bigger bearing loaded hinges than typical domestic types. )

The question of bottoms seals is also tricky one, with even reputable acoustic suppliers falling foul of practical realities....,

an otherwise very reputable and respected supplier of acoustic materials, who shall remain nameless, changed their door seal kit to use drop seals ,and in the process totally failed to notice that their product , if fitted in accordance with their instructions, left a very noticeable gap at either end, and therefore failed to work as advertised.....

for door seals to work, the sea must be contiguous all around the inner closure perimeter, this means the bottom seal must follow the same edge line as the side and top seals.

and go all the way in to meet those seals....

While I like the concept of drop seals,, they can be a total twat to get that well fitted, and on the whole I prefer the rubber bump stop seal, with extruded bead edge not eh inner face of the door.

if you use MLV on the door, it so happens that the mounting plate section of the aluminium bead is the same thickness as some brands and weights of MLV, , so you mount the bead edge facing back under the lip of the door, and providing the continuous seal in to the V seals in the aperture corners.... in to which you cut the ends of the bump strip.

I generally like to find elegant solutions, but sometimes industrial ugly is the only sensible way to solve a problem,

the Euro 2000 door handle, works from both sides of the door, and spreads the force loading when closing AND OPENING the door.... , so you never get the issue of screws coming off, or shearing, and the thing is substantial so the handle will NEVER break off in your hand....

and it mounted towards the centre of the vertical dimension , so the load is spread about as evenly as you're going to get without using a multi-point system
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Now available for consultations and audio engineering jobs .  Also guitar tech work , and “rent-a-shredder” sessions .  Oxfordshire based but can and will travel .  Email maxtech.audio@me.com

Postby zenguitar » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:36 pm

Another generous and informative post SSG.

Some thanks are due, so thank you :clap:

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Martin Walker » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:19 pm

I'll add my thanks too - I learned a lot from that post Max! 8-)

Martin
Martin Walker