You are here

Hardware meters and analysers...

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Hardware meters and analysers...

Postby Zukan » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:23 am

I searched for ages trying to find the post regarding the above but being the dimdik that I am I couldn't locate it.

I recall we chatted about TC Clarity and alternatives and even encroached on app based analysers.

Anyone shed some light on this or can locate the post for me?

Basically, I have a student who wants to use something like Clarity and is wondering if app based meters are any good? I don't use apps for music so can't comment but I do like the look of Clarity although I am happy to keep all metering ITB. I am open to suggestions for alternatives to Clarity as well as app based meters etc..

On a side note I remember Paul and Hugh had those damn gorgeous big ass meters that for the life of me I can't recall the manufacturer?
Zukan

Re: Hardware meters and analysers...

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:16 am

Sorry... don't remember that specific thread at all...

And I'm not sure what you mean by app-based meters. Something sitting on a phone? Without a direct connection there can be no accurate calibration and the whole raison d'etre of a meter is lost...

Hardware meters: I use the DK Technologies' MSD600M++ and DK2 meters, as well as a BBC-style twin-twin PPM... but the DK meters are no longer made. TC Electronic and RTW still make hardware metering systems of various forms and functions, though...

And then there are various people making simpler analogue-style meters like Crookwood and Coleman and others -- VU meters in boxes, basically. And there are often bargains to be found on the usual auction sites for BBC-style PPMs in boxes (either singly, dual, or twin-needle types).

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Zukan » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:28 am

Yes, there are a number of android and IOS based spectrum analysers. I assume they could only be used internally for existing music making apps.

Thanks for the details about the hardware versions.
Zukan

Postby Mixedup » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:49 am

Assuming they're using it exclusively with their DAW/other computer software, I'd just go for adding another screen to the system (as large or small as they want) and have the meters permanently displayed on that.

(Not tried them, but there are apps that allow an Android phone to function as a second screen for a windows machine too...)
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby Zukan » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:57 am

Interesting.
Zukan

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:05 am

I appreciate having meters physically outside the normal DAW screens, and if I wasn't replete in external hardware meters I'd certainly use a third screen for appropriate plugin VST meters.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby John Willett » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:43 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:DK meters are no longer made. TC Electronic and RTW still make hardware metering systems of various forms and functions, though...

I do like the RTW meters :thumbup:

Look superb and perform well. :thumbup:

John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby John Willett » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:51 pm

Mixedup wrote:Assuming they're using it exclusively with their DAW/other computer software, I'd just go for adding another screen to the system (as large or small as they want) and have the meters permanently displayed on that.

Duet Display allows an iPhone or iPad to be used as a second screen - I use it, it works very well. :thumbup:

Works on a PC as well as a Mac.
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby forumuser840717 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:06 pm

I use an RTW TM7 or, having had one go walkabout on a location recording, for days when the control room is insecure I also have a TC Clarity Stereo/Surround meter which is very easy to use with a nice clear display, and is less money to worry about!

For people using RME interfaces there's RME's DigiCheck software which gives a useful variety of metering options and runs on the interface/hardware card's DSP so doesn't add load to the CPU. And it's free.
forumuser840717
Regular

Postby jaminem » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:34 pm

The flux plugins are also quite useful. Not really what you’re asking for but potentially worth a look?
jaminem
Frequent Poster