You are here

Any A&H Qu series or Berry x32 users able to help?

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Re: Any A&H Qu series or Berry x32 users able to help?

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:53 pm

I'm fine with the Qu - I looked at the SQ and came to the sensible conclusion that there was nothing it offered over the Qu I needed in the home studio environment.

It may be different for live use but really I just don't see the point in changing a perfectly good digital desk for a slightly different one and I'm very unconvinced that tiny scribble screens are all that essential. I can see my magnetic labels from across the room and they are usful for other things too so I'm a happy camper ;)
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.
Please consider submitting an original track to the 2nd SOS Forum Album project!

Postby Dave Rowles » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:29 pm

If I was buying now I'd get an SQ. It's got access to the deep processing chips, and so there are a few emulated plugins that are being release that will update it's functionality. We've added a few of them to the one in the venue near me, and it's made quite a difference!

I've got an X32, so I know how it differs. I've personally found it easier to get to the sound I want with the SQ.
Dave Rowles
Frequent Poster
http://www.manninmusic.com Bandcamp
Sound Engineer, Music Teacher, Isle of Man

Postby Dr R » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:08 am

Thanks all. As ever the SOS forums are extraordinarily helpful :-)

If there is anyone in the midlands who could show us an SQ installation as a comparison to the others that would be useful, but I think at the moment the X32 is probably swinging it.

There's a temporary hiatus on this, as we realised that the x32 or SQ won't fit under the tech desk covers that we have, so we probably have to do some woodwork as well. Plus two stage moves and a wedding this month.
Dr R
Regular
My ambition: To one day have enough experience to answer technical questions on the SOS forums, as well as asking them 

Postby AlecSp » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:57 am

Dr R wrote:There's a temporary hiatus on this, as we realised that the x32 or SQ won't fit under the tech desk covers that we have, so we probably have to do some woodwork as well.
Indeed, it can come as a surprise how much taller many digital desks are compared with analog. X32 and QU aren't too bad, but try M32, CL, Vi and many others and it's a complete change.
AlecSp
Regular

Postby Aptorian » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:56 pm

I agree with everyone that has said look at the SQ series. There's nothing currently in the budget price range that compares in terms of quality or features. I upgraded from an X32 w/M32 preamps in the stage box to the SQ and it's noticeably better and can do a lot more.

I admit a lot of my opinion comes down to the fact that the SQ suits the way I work more, (mainly in that it has more FX rack slots, I can put the nice compressors in the inserts rather than the FX rack, and that I can create up to 6 custom fader layers) which it might not do for others but I don't think there's another digital mixer in the budget range that could match it, I think the cheapest thing that would come close for me would be an S21.
Aptorian
Poster

Postby Dr R » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:21 am

Thanks everyone for the replies and offers to show us you installations :shock:
Studio Spares down in Luton stock both mixers and have them available to demo/ play with as a back-to-back comparison. So we're organising a road trip mid October.
I'll post back on this thread how we get on.

Rich
Dr R
Regular
My ambition: To one day have enough experience to answer technical questions on the SOS forums, as well as asking them 

Postby Dr R » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:56 pm

Belated update to this thread as promised.

Having looked and played with both desks we settled in the Qu32 and having had it for a couple of weeks we are very happy with the choice.
I was impressed with the x32, and as we thought either would have done the job for the main sound engineers running the services. What swung it was the ease of use for occasional users and being able to lock things down.
So many thanks to everyone for their input and offers of demos. If anyone in the Midlands wants to check out a Qu as part of their decision making then the offer is open to see what we have.

Rich
Dr R
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:08 pm

:thumbup: Thanks for the feedback. Good to know.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby DanR » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:38 pm

Dr R wrote:Belated update to this thread as promised.

Having looked and played with both desks we settled in the Qu32 and having had it for a couple of weeks we are very happy with the choice.
I was impressed with the x32, and as we thought either would have done the job for the main sound engineers running the services. What swung it was the ease of use for occasional users and being able to lock things down.
So many thanks to everyone for their input and offers of demos. If anyone in the Midlands wants to check out a Qu as part of their decision making then the offer is open to see what we have.

Rich

Very nice mixer. Good choice :thumbup:
DanR
Regular

Previous