You are here

Recommend a monitor controller—rack mount ideally

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Recommend a monitor controller—rack mount ideally

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:45 pm

Most fascinating. I note in your review of the Audient unit you say "Unusually, rather than the traditional ganged potentiometer, the main speaker monitoring volume knob actually controls a stereo electronic stepped-attenuator chip, specifically chosen to ensure perfect channel matching at all level settings — so there can never be any wayward image shifts. On my bench tests (see below) I found the channel matching was within 0.1dB throughout
the entire range, with completely inaudible 0.25dB steps, and a maximum attenuation of 105dB"
I confess I didn't know what you were talking about here, but I assume this issue is precisely what you were referring to?

In your Drawmer CMC2 review you say "The volume control features the same four-gang potentiometer arrangement as the MC2.1, which helps to maintain very close stereo channel-tracking" which again refers to this issue I guess.

Thanks very helpful.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:48 pm

Or you could use a spare artist headphone output... there's usually a way on all but the most basic.

Wouldn't this just read the level from the headphone out at the level its volume control was set to?
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:53 pm

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:I confess I didn't know what you were talking about here, but I assume this issue is precisely what you were referring to?

Yes. Electronic attenuators can offer very good channel matching at all settings, but potentially raise the distortion figures slightly, and can impose some gain-structure issues for the designer. Audient did a very good job with theirs, though. Drawmer took a typically sideways approach to minimise the problem by effectively averaging the channel mismatches across multiple pots.

Both of these solutions are a lot less expensive than 24-step (or more) rotary switches with matched resistor chains, or relay-switched resistor chains.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:54 pm

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:
Or you could use a spare artist headphone output... there's usually a way on all but the most basic.

Wouldn't this just read the level from the headphone out at the level its volume control was set to?

Yes...so you need to set the artist H/P volume control appropriately to calibrate the meter as desired.... Which is actually quite a useful facility if working with a VU meter.

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:59 pm

How would you do that, then? Match it to a meter elsewhere in the chain?
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:19 pm

Yes. That's what line-up tones are for! :-)
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:25 am

So how would you do that in practice? And what's a good external vu meter?
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Previous