You are here

Maximum Effect Guitar Rig Suggestion

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Maximum Effect Guitar Rig Suggestion

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:55 am

Hello All,
I hope I am reaching the right crowd.
I just purchased a Multi-Effects-Processor and I accompanied it with a distortion pedal.

The only way that they work together is in now way possible by means of the Multi-Effects-Processor due to output only.

According to this equipment, the overdrive pedal must go first in the chain and I can't do it with the processor.

I would like to know of a suggestion to where I could utilize both technologies.
Even my dealer has no idea.

TIA

Keneth Blane KIrk

Re: Maximum Effect Guitar Rig Suggestion

Postby adrian_k » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:12 pm

Might be helpful to let us know which processor and which distortion pedal?
adrian_k
Frequent Poster
getting better all the time..

Postby The Elf » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:20 pm

I can think of no reason why a distortion pedal could not be placed in front of a multi-effects processor.

You are going to have to give us more details of the equipment and how you are trying to connect it.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Wonks » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:53 pm

...And what it is feeding into.

There are various FX-loop pedals out there that can change the order of your pedals, so you can have the solo or multi-FX pedal first, but I can't think why you'd want the drive pedal after the multi-FX, and if the multi-FX isn't clean enough to be bypassed and have the drive going through it without affecting the sound, then it can't be that good a multi-fx unit.

But again, an FX-loop pedal could help out there.

But we do need to know what you are feeding into. One amp, two amps? Do you want to mix the drive pedal and multi-fx pedal sound?
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby resistorman » Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:23 am

An output only efx processor. Yeah man, I can dig that...
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby DC-Choppah » Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:07 am

Dear OP, is your multi effects processor a studio unit? Does it use line level signals (-10 dB)? Or perhaps pro line level (+4 dB)

I have one of those kind of studio multi effects units in my rack and to combine it with pedals (instrument level) requires a signal converter. The signal converter is different depending on which way you are going.

If you want to go from the output of the multi efx back into your guitar pedals, then you need a re-amp box. The re-amping box will convert the line level signal back to instrument level signal.

If on the other hand you want to go the other way and you want to put the pedal in front of the studio mult efx, then you need a preamp with a line level output that matches your studio multi fx -10 dB (or +4 dB for pro line level).

I do it both ways actually. I have a preamp that has a +4 dB line level output to drive the Lexicon Multi FX and other studio rack FX. Then I take the output of the mult FX and put it into the re-amp box and then into the amps.

If you use mult fx that are made for guitars, then you don't need these converters.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster