You are here

Mixing mic and synth using Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 2nd gen

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Mixing mic and synth using Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 2nd gen

Postby AMusicPlayerPlus » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:39 am

Hey Guys,

I have audio interface Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 2nd generation.

I'd like to connect to it both microphone and synth.

Not sure how to do it.

(1) I insert microphone xlr into GAIN 01

(2) I insert synth trs (left and right) into GAIN 03 & intro GAIN 04.

Now I'm trying to mix GAIN 01 (mono mic) + GAIN 03 (left synth) & GAIN 04 (right synth) using Scarlett Mix Control.

And not sure how to mix it.

Questions:

(A) On Focusrite Scalett 18i8 interface does it make difference to put synth into GAIN 03 & GAIN 04 or into line inputs 7 & 8? Which input is most suitable for synt/mic?

(B) How to mix GAIN 01 (mono mic) + GAIN 03 (left synth) & GAIN 04 (right synth) using Scarlett Mix Control on the level of audio interface?

I know on the level of DAW we can define Audio Connections Inputs:

Stereo In:

Left -> Device Port Mic 1 (in my case it's mic input mono)
Right -> Device Port Mic 2

Stereo In 2:

Left -> Device Port Mic 3 (in my case it's synth left)
Right -> Device Port Mic 4 (in my case it's synth right)

And when recording Audio to choose in DAW corresponding Stereo In.

But I'd like to be able to mix on the level of Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 device. If it's possible? How to do it?

Thank you!
AMusicPlayerPlus
Poster

Re: Mixing mic and synth using Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 2nd gen

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:02 pm

Seriously suggest you look at the equipment's manual and the excellent online resources that Focusrite provides on its website or via Youtube. You'll get all the answers you need.

Having said that, as a user myself, the 2nd Generation Mix Control is a bit of a nightmare and I have it very much as set up and forget for that reason.

But I'm finding it hard to imagine why you'd want to mix a stereo synth and mono vocal together before you get to your DAW? Why wouldn't you let all three signals come into your DAW as mono inputs and then you can mix and balance them to your heart's content?
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns