You are here

Considering going AMD for my new DAW build....

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Re: Considering going AMD for my new DAW build....

Postby Agharta » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:53 pm

Will_m wrote:Overall seems like I might be better off holding out to see what happens with Intel. I've been tying to find confirmation if 4th gen Ryzen will be on X570 as like agharta suggests maybe I could go for the 3900x then upgrade on the same board further down the line.

The only thing that Intel have on the horizon is more 14nm parts.
They have a 10 core desktop chip due 20H1 but that is with a new socket and almost certainly a dead end platform as when they finally release 10nm parts expect a new socket.
That 10 core supposedly is using well over 200W which is hardly a surprise.

Intel first released 14nm parts in 2014 and right now the only 10nm parts they have on the wider market are a few 15W quad core laptop chips.
10nm was expected in 2017 so that shows what a mess it is in.
You might well be waiting until 2021/2022 for a big gain from Intel on desktop.
If/when they finally sort it they will probably focus on Server as that's where the money is.
Or you might have to wait until they release 7nm desktop chips.
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Will_m » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:36 am

Agharta wrote:
Will_m wrote:Overall seems like I might be better off holding out to see what happens with Intel. I've been tying to find confirmation if 4th gen Ryzen will be on X570 as like agharta suggests maybe I could go for the 3900x then upgrade on the same board further down the line.

The only thing that Intel have on the horizon is more 14nm parts.
They have a 10 core desktop chip due 20H1 but that is with a new socket and almost certainly a dead end platform as when they finally release 10nm parts expect a new socket.
That 10 core supposedly is using well over 200W which is hardly a surprise.

Intel first released 14nm parts in 2014 and right now the only 10nm parts they have on the wider market are a few 15W quad core laptop chips.
10nm was expected in 2017 so that shows what a mess it is in.
You might well be waiting until 2021/2022 for a big gain from Intel on desktop.
If/when they finally sort it they will probably focus on Server as that's where the money is.
Or you might have to wait until they release 7nm desktop chips.

Ah good to know, well I think I'm leaning towards AMD, just wanted to check the Intel options.

One thing I've just been looking at though is the 3600 RAM is almost double the price of the 3200 kits at the 64GB option.
Will_m
Regular
williammorrismusic.com

Postby Pete Kaine » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:54 am

merlyn wrote:Is there any advantage for audio in using an X570 chipset?

PCIe 4.0 if you want one of the new generation NVMe drives other than that, nothing that comes to mind right now.

[/quote]
What about the other AM4 chipsets like B350? They have the advantage of not having a fan.[/quote]

Lacking the PCIe 4.0 support and the mainstream consummer boards are likely to have less capable VRM's and supporting hardware meaning less opportunity to overclock. Although given that the overclocking with these chips is poor anyhow, maybe that isn't such a bit deal, but personally I would look to spend the extra on a better board in the even that I was picking up something as power hungry as a 3900x or above.

Will_m wrote:I did get my RME sort of working with TB on my Asus mobo but I was experiencing strange bit-crusher sounding audio (only windows audio). It was intermittent but I never managed to track down a cause.

That would suggest to me that the CPU is overloading or milding dropping out. Possibly something triggering in the background if it's intermittent.

Will_m wrote:Sounds like the 3900x might be the sweet spot for me then if the 3950x is looking like a 10% gain. Is this 10% on the Kontakt voice count test or the SGA1566 test? Both are important to me really, I'd say I have 70-100 instances of Kontakt and have some quite heavy plug-in usage as well.

Depending on the buffer setting, both. At higher buffers the Kontakt handling improved marginally.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Previous