You are here

Lost me Dongle!

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Lost me Dongle!

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:17 am

I've been using Nuendo for eons (well since Version 2 anyway) so my dongle is fairly ancient but still serviceable.

However I seem to have lost it. At least it's misplaced and I can't find it. I immediately ordered another from Steinberg, but that can take three weeks to get here.

Steinberg have a way out - you can get 20 hours of use on a SECOND DONGLE if you have one. Well I haven't got one, if I had I'd immediately transfer the licence to the spare and not need the 20 hour restriction.

I say I'd transfer the license - at least I hope I could transfer the license because that is why I ordered a new dongle.

Along with the Steinberg Dongle I also misplaced the Waves Licenses USB drive (I moved the licenses to it so I could use different computers) I think they were both on a USB hub pulled out of my retired iMac.

Luckily, my V10 Waves collection was covered by an upgrade plan which allowed me to update the lot to V11. This automatically generates a brand new license on the cloud, so when you install and authorise the upgrades with Waves Central it automatically applies the new license.
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster

The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Re: Lost me Dongle!

Postby The Elf » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:15 am

Steinberg also offer a 'software dongle' option, that I've never understood.

I bought a second dongle a long time ago and keep it safe 'just in case'. I've not needed it so far, but while you're buying one dongle I would buy two...
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby OneWorld » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:36 am

Howdy Doody Time wrote:I've been using Nuendo for eons (well since Version 2 anyway) so my dongle is fairly ancient but still serviceable.

However I seem to have lost it. At least it's misplaced and I can't find it. I immediately ordered another from Steinberg, but that can take three weeks to get here.

Steinberg have a way out - you can get 20 hours of use on a SECOND DONGLE if you have one. Well I haven't got one, if I had I'd immediately transfer the licence to the spare and not need the 20 hour restriction.

I say I'd transfer the license - at least I hope I could transfer the license because that is why I ordered a new dongle.

Along with the Steinberg Dongle I also misplaced the Waves Licenses USB drive (I moved the licenses to it so I could use different computers) I think they were both on a USB hub pulled out of my retired iMac.

Luckily, my V10 Waves collection was covered by an upgrade plan which allowed me to update the lot to V11. This automatically generates a brand new license on the cloud, so when you install and authorise the upgrades with Waves Central it automatically applies the new license.

I am a bit confused about Steinberg licensing these days. But the way I understand it, the licences are on the dongle but also registered on the account at Steinberg, so if a dongle is lost/changed then the licence can be downloaded.

I also have a 'software dongle' and that is for my Arturia software, but it is also on the eLicencer, and another software licence for the mpeg converter.

I got a spare dongle by buying a cheap outdated version of Cubase which came with the dongle, I bought it from eBay for £15, the cost of a new dongle from Steinberg at the time was about £25! But of course, you can only move licences from one dongle to another, not copy them.

I once had trouble moving my licences from one dongle to another, then it didn't work. The issue is a .sel file that lives in the eLicenser folder on the c:drive, I deleted that and everything worked again. I think it gets put there when updating the eLicencer software
By the way
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:30 am

The Elf wrote:Steinberg also offer a 'software dongle' option, that I've never understood.

I bought a second dongle a long time ago and keep it safe 'just in case'. I've not needed it so far, but while you're buying one dongle I would buy two...

I initially selected 2, but my Bangkok Bank still has my old phone number (my fault) and I could not read the code they sent. So I used my UK bank and didn't notice the number ordered had reset to 1.

The unit cost 25 euros I think, which came to 55 euros including postage, which led me to believe I'd bought 2. I'm not usually a dope, I'm mostly a dope.
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster

The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:30 pm

OneWorld wrote:I also have a 'software dongle' and that is for my Arturia software, but it is also on the eLicencer, and another software licence for the mpeg converter.

When Arturia moved away from the hardware licencer I did a little dance of joy. The current software method Arturia use for licencing (or at least, the one I use) is a doddle, lets you easily distribute your authorizations between multiple computers as and when you please and is very user friendly :clap:
Eddy Deegan
Jedi Poster
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby OneWorld » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:28 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:
OneWorld wrote:I also have a 'software dongle' and that is for my Arturia software, but it is also on the eLicencer, and another software licence for the mpeg converter.

When Arturia moved away from the hardware licencer I did a little dance of joy. The current software method Arturia use for licencing (or at least, the one I use) is a doddle, lets you easily distribute your authorizations between multiple computers as and when you please and is very user friendly :clap:

I agree, I like the Arturia setup and although there's some quirkiness about things sometimes, I find customer service prompt.
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:49 am

Well, you guys set me thinking when you mentioned Arturia. I searched in my junk box and sure enough there was an Arturia dongle, with Version 1 of a Roland Synth emulation.

Turns out the Arturia dongle is recognised by Steinberg eLicenser software, so I was able to invoke the 25 hours (not 20 as I had thought) I filled in the Steinberg form and they will send me new activation codes for my licenses which I can use to permafrostly activate the Steinbergs on the Arturia dongle.

Now the Steinberg dongle I ordered can be a spare, and it can take as long as it likes to get here.

Happy days.
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:31 am

That's a good result! :thumbup:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:58 am

Nice! :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Jedi Poster
Some of my works.

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:02 am

Cubase Elements 10 is working with Catalina on the new 2018 MBP with temporary License.
(Elements is not installed on the 2015 MBP)

On the 2018 MBP Nuendo 10 sends out spurious messages to do with Licensing and will not run with Catalina with temporary license, but appears to run with High Sierra on the Temporary license. (There is some chatter on the web about a spurious .sel file which causes this, but lots of stuff is hidden on Catalina, and Mac File Find has always been worse than useless, so it's unhelpful that nobody mentioned where they found the offending file.

There are warnings against running Catalina on the Nuendo Hub Startup Screen, so although I have reason to doubt that dongles work correctly on the new Macs (which don't use conventional USB ports) I have to wait for Catalina to be wrapped around Nuendo somehow to find out for sure.

I am now certain that I want to install Nuendo directly on my newest RADAR Studio which runs a custom minimal version of Windows, and talks directly to the 24 Nyquist conversion channels via 3 custom cards.

I'm not confident of getting that right, but I'm gonna give it a go. Horlicks to using household computers to do professional jobs.
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:03 pm

Found me Dongle!

I knew that would happen. Steinberg requested I inform them immediately if I found it, so I duly obliged. It's a bit like facing the headmaster after an incident. Stern warnings ensued when they issued the new licenses, - Any further incidents will be subject to investigation, you may not be eligible for access to further licenses, your lost dongle has been deactivated, etc.

Now I have an Arturia dongle full of Steinberg licenses, the original dongle which has been assassinated, a new Steinberg dongle in the post, and a sense of apprehension at the possibility that should my newly licensed but physically ancient Arturia dongle die of old age, the censorious headmaster awaits, and the fate of my licenses is in his hands.
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster

Postby OneWorld » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:27 pm

Howdy Doody Time wrote: (There is some chatter on the web about a spurious .sel file which causes this, but lots of stuff is hidden on Catalina, and Mac File Find has always been worse than useless, so it's unhelpful that nobody mentioned where they found the offending file..

On a PC the .sel file is in the eLicenser folder, but either way just do a search for *.sel

I had similarish problems and deleted the .sel file and the problems went away
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby OneWorld » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:29 pm

Howdy Doody Time wrote:Found me Dongle!

I knew that would happen. Steinberg requested I inform them immediately if I found it, so I duly obliged. It's a bit like facing the headmaster after an incident. Stern warnings ensued when they issued the new licenses, - Any further incidents will be subject to investigation, you may not be eligible for access to further licenses, your lost dongle has been deactivated, etc.

Now I have an Arturia dongle full of Steinberg licenses, the original dongle which has been assassinated, a new Steinberg dongle in the post, and a sense of apprehension at the possibility that should my newly licensed but physically ancient Arturia dongle die of old age, the censorious headmaster awaits, and the fate of my licenses is in his hands.

When I got a new USB dongle I had both my old dongle and new dongle plugged into the computer then in the eLicenser software choose transer, and you select one of many files to move between dongle, what you cannot do is copy the files from one to another
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Elf » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:02 pm

All my dongles are attached to an extension cable (to avoid stressing either the dongle, or the computer) and a lanyard. These measures have advantages, but also make losing a dongle much less likely.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:34 pm

The Elf wrote:All my dongles are attched to an extension cable (to avoid strressing either the dongle, or the computer) and a lanyard. These measures have advantages, but also make losing a dongle much less likely.

I used to do that with the dongle that Arturia required before they moved to software licensing, though more for convenience than safety as I needed to move it between machines occasionally and the USB ports were all at the back.

It seemed like a really good idea until I damaged it by rolling an office chair over it as it had fell off the top of the computer and was lying on the floor.
Probably should have used a shorter USB extension cable :headbang:

I hate dongles (and unfriendly licensing schemes) with a passion and go out of my way to avoid them these days, else I'd almost certainly have given Cubase a proper go when I moved from Logic to Reaper.
Eddy Deegan
Jedi Poster
Some of my works.