You are here

New MBP Review in SOS

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Re: New MBP Review in SOS

Postby Humble Bee » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:07 pm

I didn’t need to read the review of the new 16 inch roadster to know that it is one fine machine and if I had the cash I would be all over it as a mobile alternative to my my 2018 Mac Mini i7 (which is a damn fine machine as well).

So Howdy just promote yours to heating duties or sell it. And get something else that suits your needs. I think it will do you well.
Humble Bee
Regular

Postby Trevor Johnson » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:30 pm

Macs. We ran a consultancy building bespoke UNiX solutions, using Informix, SQL/4GL for mainframes and UNIX boxes. Guess what? We bought several thousand pounds of Apple kit, back in 1990, for DTP, etc.. The later variants actually cost more than a small car.

I am typing this on an MBPro. Macs are the best laptops, period. I can buy whatever I like, but seriously, you want something like a Dell 13 XPS? The screen is atrocious for starters......
Trevor Johnson
Regular

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:03 pm

Attrocious how?
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby Trevor Johnson » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:58 pm

Out of the box, the Apple retina screens look good, and that's before I hardware calibrate them. The Dell series I've looked at, (but haven't calibrated), look very poor. However, I am always willing to change my mind and will have another look.

And nowadays I am very much a PC user, (but with Macs and Linux boxes for company.
Trevor Johnson
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:40 pm

Trevor Johnson wrote:but seriously, you want something like a Dell 13 XPS? The screen is atrocious for starters......

I'd have thought that a Dell Precision is closer to a Macbook Pro - certainly my 2012 vintage one contains similar components to those used in a Macbook of the same era.

I just specced up the most powerful Precision 5540 with:
- Intel® Core™ Processor i9-9980HK (8 Core, 16MB Cache, 2.40GHz up to 5.00GHz Turbo, 45W)
- Windows 10 Pro, 64bit English, Dutch, French, German, Italian
- Nvidia Quadro T2000 w/4GB GDDR5
- 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR4 2666MHz Non-ECC Memory
- M.2 1TB PCIe NVMe Class 40 Solid State Drive
- 15.6" Ultrasharp OLED UHD, 3840x2160

which came to £3257 + VAT.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:54 pm

Were the Dell models specced out similarly to the MBP? I guess what I'm asking is, was this (forgive the pun) an apples to apples comparison?

As you've noted, for those where this is a serious consideration there's calibration. It's been a few years since I last had a MBP and admittedly the screen was quite nice.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:03 pm

James, we had an Inspiron here with almost identical specs to my last MBP - with the screen being the only real departure in terms of hardware. You certainly don't need to go up to the Precision line to get comparable (or better) performance.

I would say the XPS line is probably the best comparison in terms of overall spec, aesthetic etc.

I can tell you now that the Inspiron still performs like a champ whereas the MBP is absolutely on its last legs due to thermal issues. Fair enough, the Inspiron is a 17" - but so would the MBP have been had Apple not decided to EOL that form-factor.

Our previous 17" MBP also suffered from terrible thermals, not to mention the battery swelling / burst case AND the nVidia GPU desolder debacle.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:49 pm

n o i s e f l e ur wrote:Were the Dell models specced out similarly to the MBP? I guess what I'm asking is, was this (forgive the pun) an apples to apples comparison?

Just specced a similar MBP and it came to £3482 plus VAT. The graphics chip is different and the Dell warranty is better so I've included Applecare + in the Apple price which is the closest I can get to the Dell warranty. Dell don't give you the option of large SSD's though they go up to 2TB if you want. A lower performing Precision could also include a second disk drive but the memory and processor in this one need a larger battery which seems to prevent the second drive from being fitted. The Dell also comes with a slightly higher resolution display but I've no idea how well it can be calibrated as I'm not a graphics person.

The price isn't drastically different assuming that the Apple is a similarly high quality machine.
James Perrett

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:24 am

I was addressing that question to Trevor actually James, WRT the assertion the XPS screens were attrocious on the 13".

Personally I think I'd be happy with the new MBP or a similarly specced Dell (of a comparable model) - if I could get on with the terrible kbd on the Mac (no, not referring to the scissor vs butterfly issue) and various other MacOS foibles and conventions I don't get along with.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:03 am

James Perrett wrote:
Trevor Johnson wrote:but seriously, you want something like a Dell 13 XPS? The screen is atrocious for starters......

I'd have thought that a Dell Precision is closer to a Macbook Pro - certainly my 2012 vintage one contains similar components to those used in a Macbook of the same era.

I just specced up the most powerful Precision 5540 with:
- Intel® Core™ Processor i9-9980HK (8 Core, 16MB Cache, 2.40GHz up to 5.00GHz Turbo, 45W)
- Windows 10 Pro, 64bit English, Dutch, French, German, Italian
- Nvidia Quadro T2000 w/4GB GDDR5
- 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR4 2666MHz Non-ECC Memory
- M.2 1TB PCIe NVMe Class 40 Solid State Drive
- 15.6" Ultrasharp OLED UHD, 3840x2160

which came to £3257 + VAT.
:clap: Looks seriously like a six grand MBP :D
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster

The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:04 pm

My 2011 MBP, bought new, is still going strong, after a small repair, and it looks good enough to be worth repairing again should it need it. Any PC laptop I've owned over the years has either died in three or four years or got so slow as to be not worth bothering with and in both cases and looked like it had been under a truck.

My first MBP (the 2011) would last 6 or 7 hours on a charge, the previous two PC lappies (one a Sony so not a cheapie no-name) not even a hour when new.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:22 pm

Just goes to show ya, these companies release both good and bad models and loyalty to any of them won't always produce the desired outcome for the individual consumer.

Sony though? Might have a lot of brand-recognition but their laptops have always had a sh*itty reputation.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:47 pm

Sony's after sales was appalling too. Mine died 'cos the DC power socket failed after a couple of years. The 'repair' Sony offered (a motherboard replacement) would have cost more than the cost of a new machine. I asked for a service sheet just so I could dismantle the laptop without breaking the various plastic tabs and clips but was told (amongst several other spurious reasons fo not supplying one) that they didn't supply such information due to 'industrial espionage' :headbang: I was able to replace the connector with another attached to the chassis with floating leads to the MB which lasted until the machine died for other reasons.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby johnny h » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:53 pm

PC laptops are a nightmare. Generally you get underpowered MacBook clones or huge gamer monsters with about 2 hours of battery life. I was on the verge of leaving Apple because of their crappy keyboards and poor cooling but thankfully they've rectified these issues with the 16" as the PC laptop world still absolutely sucks in comparison.
johnny h
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:03 pm

Howdy Doody Time wrote:
James Perrett wrote:...which came to £3257 + VAT.
:clap: Looks seriously like a six grand MBP :D

As I mentioned a couple of posts above - an almost identical MBP was only £200 more expensive.
James Perrett

PreviousNext