You are here

Neil Young’s gear.

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Re: Neil Young’s gear.

Postby Arpangel » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:52 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:I was thinking more of who would get into a bar fight first due to outspokenness, RB or me. I have a tendency to forget to use my inner voice too often!

As for your other point - back in the day there wasn’t as much gear around to make sounds with so, true, one had to work harder but it was a limited pool of sounds even within avant-garde compositions due to the limited access to equipment and equipment limitations. There were always those wonderful little breakthroughs though.

Today I believe I have access to 4000 patches in Omnisphere alone so I don’t have to lose my right brain creative rampage due to the left brain shutting it down because of a technical issue. The poor sod who spliced together 458 minuscule slivers of tape to get 30 seconds of maybe music had it much worse in terms of trying to keep the creative juices going.

But I think RB was thinking of those who put a few loops together and call it music. There has always been boring music but I bet there is at least 1 person who really likes that 2 loop "tune".

The trouble with computers, software synths etc, is that in the eyes of the laymen, the comment always goes something like..."you did that on a computer yeah? easy innit"
It’s as if, you haven’t spent days getting that sound, or movie edit, so there’s no skill or value attached to it.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby MOF » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:11 pm

Just did a quick google and the greater wax moth can hear up to 300k so there's already a whole new market out there for very high pitched music. Presumably they play it at their moth balls?
:lol:
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:14 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Huge yes but finite.

Are we talking about Longjohns again? ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:23 pm

As long as we use 'tonal' music the max possible melodies will be less than infinite (i.e. 'finite') only if we have an infinite number of notes in an octave* can the possible number of melodies be infinite.

* That would be 'avant garde' :D
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby The Red Bladder » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:25 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:I was thinking more of who would get into a bar fight first due to outspokenness, RB or me.
I'm 6'2" and used to box. The last idiot who called me out was not that long ago and ended up on the floor.

ManFromGlass wrote:But I think RB was thinking of those who put a few loops together and call it music.
I part, yes - but the one thing that stands out for me is the sheer lack of genuine creativity.

We have all these unbelievable and fantastic tools nowadays and all 'The Army of the Clueless' do is press presets.

We have every possible species and flavour of reverb. But I have yet to hear reverb being used as a creative tool - well, except by Conny Plank who fed reverb back into the desk and filtered it to create new sounds that could feedback and change timbre.

I seldom hear anyone doing anything experimental with the human voice - which is the best synthesizer of all synthesizers. Never mind all your Moogs and Korgs and Yamahas, start with the human voice and exploit all of its possibilities FIRST - then move on to the electronic side of the game.

I could go on and on and . . . but I have work to do!
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby blinddrew » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:46 pm

I do have wonder how wide your listening reach is.
The Red Bladder wrote:We have every possible species and flavour of reverb. But I have yet to hear reverb being used as a creative tool - well, except by Conny Plank who fed reverb back into the desk and filtered it to create new sounds that could feedback and change timbre.

I seldom hear anyone doing anything experimental with the human voice - which is the best synthesizer of all synthesizers.
I hear people using reverb creatively frequently, likewise lots of people doing interesting stuff with the human voice. We've had discussions about it on here, and hell, I've even done it myself.

Maybe we just have different ideas of 'interesting'.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby The Red Bladder » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:31 pm

Those were quick examples - I mean everything is just stuck in the same old groove.

Add pictures to your music. Where's the 3D sound? where are all the new ideas?
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:30 pm

Those were quick examples - I mean everything is just stuck in the same old groove.

Add pictures to your music. Where's the 3D sound? where are all the new ideas?

I'm sure grumpy old men have been saying this since music consisted of Mr and Mrs Ug banging their elk bones on hollow logs.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:34 pm

As long as we use 'tonal' music the max possible melodies will be less than infinite (i.e. 'finite') only if we have an infinite number of notes in an octave* can the possible number of melodies be infinite.

Not true. So you have a melody that jumps from C1 to C3 in the first two notes. Are you saying this is the same melody as C1 to C1? So I jump from C1 to E972. That would be a new melody by any standards, surely? :lol:
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby Wonks » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:43 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:only if we have an infinite number of notes in an octave*

That would then have to be re-classed as an infinitave.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Wonks » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:45 pm

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote: So I jump from C1 to E972. That would be a new melody by any standards, surely? :lol:

All been done before on Alpha Centauri. And beta Cygni. :D
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby ManFromGlass » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:35 pm

and that copyright lawsuit on Babylon 5 still isn’t settled :D
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:57 pm

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:

Not true. So you have a melody that jumps from C1 to C3 in the first two notes. Are you saying this is the same melody as C1 to C1? So I jump from C1 to E972. That would be a new melody by any standards, surely? :lol:

Yes it would but it would still be one of a finite set.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Arpangel » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:45 am

The Red Bladder wrote:I seldom hear anyone doing anything experimental with the human voice - which is the best synthesizer of all synthesizers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSDX6UQUogA

Amazing performer, I’ve been privileged to have improvised with her many times, a gifted and extremely talented musician, with an interesting and eclectic musical background.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Previous