You are here

Using Reaper to smooth out peaks?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: Using Reaper to smooth out peaks?

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:40 am

Arpangel wrote:
Looks like I’m not very good at this then, like everything else, you’ve got to like doing it to make a good job of it, and a I hate editing.

I don't know Reaper, but it seems like you're possibly using the wrong 'edit' command. In my editor when I 'delete' it just removes it and automatically realigns the audio. Of course, if you get it wrong you simply 'undo' and try again.

In this case I'd highlight the offending peak - often just a few milliseconds - then reduce the level on the highlighted portion, 'commit' (or whatever 'do it term you prefer) and then go on my way.

Just guessing so apologies, but are you possibly using a 'copy and paste' technique?

As for editing, I get enormous satisfaction from taking rough, fluff-ridden, snuffle-heavy audio and making it into something where 'you can't hear the join'. But then I have been doing it for over 45 years and the relief not to be rocking tape and cutting the stuff is huge! :lol:
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:12 am

ManFromGlass wrote:Hugh - 10ms is the length of a tape crossfade? 30 ips? I find that interesting because in the DAW my crossfade length of choice is around 9 ms because it just feels right. Interesting.

On quarter-inch tape (6.35mm), a 45-degree razor cut would cover a quarter-inch of tape. And at 15 ips (381mm/s) the time taken to replay a 1/4-inch of tape is 16ms (6.35/381).

However, assuming we're talking about a stereo half-track machine, that razor cut only has to cover less than half the width of the tape (roughly around a third, allowing for the guard bands, actually) for each track, so the cross-fade into the new material actually lasts around 6ms.

Obviously, at 30ips the crossfade duration would be half that. And if a steeper 30-degree razor cut was employed it would be about 3-4ms at 15 ips ...and half that again at 30ips.

Also worth noting -- purely for interest -- that when editing analogue tape one channel normally crossfades slightly (4-8ms) before the other (depending which way up the edit block is!) -- unless you get sophisticated and cut fishtail edits with brass scissors!

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Ariosto » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:28 pm

I use Reaper all the time to edit narration and also music and I have never had a problem. I have it set up so when I overlap the two sections it automatically makes a cross fade and I don't even measure how long the fade is as long as it works seamlessly. I can even cut and replace a word and a tiny sound with no problems. I think Reaper is a really good DAW.
Ariosto
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:02 pm

Thanks for all your help folks, but I find editing a real pain, that’s why I never wanted to become a sound engineer.
I’m going to try recording as much as I can in Midi, that way Incan easily reduce the velocity of one note, and that would do it. But that won't work with acoustic piano!
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:10 pm

Ok - a quick guide to editing a single note in Reaper...

First make sure that you have set Reaper up to apply short crossfades between regions.

Select the note you want by clicking dragging the mouse across the timeline at the top or in some empty space above or below the track.

Highlight the region to be edited by clicking in it and then hit Shift+S to split the region before and after the note.

Go to the top of the region containing the note and drag it down to reduce the volume.

And that's it!

It takes much longer to read than to actually do it.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Arpangel » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:20 am

James Perrett wrote:Ok - a quick guide to editing a single note in Reaper...

First make sure that you have set Reaper up to apply short crossfades between regions.

Select the note you want by clicking dragging the mouse across the timeline at the top or in some empty space above or below the track.

Highlight the region to be edited by clicking in it and then hit Shift+S to split the region before and after the note.

Go to the top of the region containing the note and drag it down to reduce the volume.

And that's it!

It takes much longer to read than to actually do it.

Thanks James, but that’s exactly what I’ve been doing, but I "glue" the spilt item back together after the edit, more practice I think.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:34 am

Just a thought chaps...

Could someone perhaps do a short vid (not pics) of real-time screen-shots showing how they do this in Reaper?

Pictures and words and all that... :)
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:14 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:Just a thought chaps...

Could someone perhaps do a short vid (not pics) of real-time screen-shots showing how they do this in Reaper?

Pictures and words and all that... :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hETaycChzE
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby permanent_daylight » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:26 pm

I believe when you split in reaper there will be fade-in, but fade-out.
Crossfading, if the automatic option is on requires dragging or extending the track.
Gluing just 'bounces' the item as it was.

So to create crossfades: it seems like you just need to zoom in and drag the end and start points of this section.

They would actually only change length of volume fade since the audio would be identical.

Other way is easier. Just use volume envelopes. Make four points and pull down.
permanent_daylight
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:58 am

Before I posted my instructions I checked and my copy of Reaper automatically does a crossfade on split points without the need to manually create a crossfade. Now I'm not sure whether that's something I've changed or a default but, if it isn't a default, it would be sensible to make it a default setting in your default template.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Arpangel » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:48 am

Not for note editing is a real skill, and I don't have it, add to that note the ambience that surrounds it and you’re in for all sorts of trouble, it’s a real pain.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:14 am

James Perrett wrote:Before I posted my instructions I checked and my copy of Reaper automatically does a crossfade on split points without the need to manually create a crossfade. Now I'm not sure whether that's something I've changed or a default but, if it isn't a default, it would be sensible to make it a default setting in your default template.
I think that's something you've changed at some point James. I'll check later on if i remember.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Kwackman » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:24 am

blinddrew wrote:
James Perrett wrote:Before I posted my instructions I checked and my copy of Reaper automatically does a crossfade on split points without the need to manually create a crossfade. Now I'm not sure whether that's something I've changed or a default but, if it isn't a default, it would be sensible to make it a default setting in your default template.
I think that's something you've changed at some point James. I'll check later on if i remember.
That video linked above explains it.
From memory "ALT" + "X" turns it on and off.
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby permanent_daylight » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:53 pm

AFAIK, Reaper will only crossfade when items overlap. If you split, they don't overlap. So you get a fade out then fade in consecutively, not a crossfade.
permanent_daylight
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:25 pm

It's not a default action, that's for sure, and I can't see an option for it in the preferences (although that doesn't mean it's not there hidden away somewhere)... However, I suspect you've written a macro or something to do this.

I never edit audio in Reaper -- I always use SADiE and I'd forgotten why until this came up: Repear's default action appears to cut a hole at every edit point by fading down to silence and back up again, so it's no wonder that edits can't be made to work properly!
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

PreviousNext