You are here

Will M-Audio ever support midisport in Catalina?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Will M-Audio ever support midisport in Catalina?

Postby Old and Unwise » Sun May 17, 2020 8:26 am

Hi all,

I’m a little bewildered by the loss of functionality of the humble M-Audio midisport 2x2 in Catalina. I can’t believe this little metal box is desperately sophisticated - a little point to point wiring and a bit of RC circuitry, perhaps? As you can tell I am no expert, but I wondered what makes it so difficult to pipe it up within Catalina. If it is really quite complex - does anyone know whether M-Audio plan to eventually support it (and how soon)?

Thanks!
Old and Unwise
New here
Russ

Re: Will M-Audio ever support midisport in Catalina?

Postby jimjazzdad » Sun May 17, 2020 11:32 am

I'm on PC not Mac, but I suspect my observation still applies... I have owned five or six M-Audio interfaces, from PCI to USB versions, and while the hardware has generally been good value IMO the driver support was always problematic. I have always searched user forums, downloaded and tried multiple driver versions, and generally pulled most of my hair out before (sometimes) getting the damn thing working. In contrast, I recently purchased an eight year-old RME Babyface, downloaded the one-size-fits-all driver package from their website, plugged in the unit, and it just worked...flawlessly.
jimjazzdad
Regular
Halifax, NS, CANADA

Postby desmond » Sun May 17, 2020 11:43 am

I don't think it's necessarily that it's *difficult* so much, but that supporting old hardware is not only not cost-effective to their bottom line (ie, making stuff people already purchased work longer), it also prevents people making another purchase to buy more stuff.

There's probably a range of *hundreds* of old M-Audio devices that could take their driver team years to go back and make modern drivers for. They don't want to make that kind of bother. My advice - if you have an M-Audio product that's more than a few years old and doesn't have modern driver support - it won't *ever* work on your system, so don't bother waiting - get something else that does work...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Mixedup » Sun May 17, 2020 3:13 pm

Bottom line is that if you opt for Apple machines and external hardware, you need to expect to buy new hardware and junk the old every so often. Some of the other MIDIsport units like the 8x8 have not worked with MacOS/OSX for years. The drivers tend to work for longer with new Windows versions without needing to be updated. Or at least they *have* to date!
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby Old and Unwise » Sun May 17, 2020 4:16 pm

Thanks everyone...I guess that puts that one to bed. Any suggestions for a new unit? it’d be nice to buy one that had a few years in it . Cheers
Old and Unwise
New here
Russ

Postby Kwackman » Sun May 17, 2020 4:31 pm

Old and Unwise wrote:Thanks everyone...I guess that puts that one to bed. Any suggestions for a new unit? it’d be nice to buy one that had a few years in it . Cheers

RME have a deserved reputation for supporting their hardware for a very long time.
Not the cheapest out there, but it should last.
I'm still using an original RME Babyface from 2011 (I think) and it's currently running on a Mac using the latest Catalina OS.

[EDIT]
Looks like 2011 is about right. Here's a review of the original.
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/rme-babyface

It has gone through 2 re-generations at least to the latest one.
But, this old original still works fine.
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby desmond » Sun May 17, 2020 4:43 pm

Note - all the old emagic MIDI interfaces (Unitor 8 MKII and AMT8) are still supported, in Catalina.

I think I got my AMT8 in about 2000 or so, originally with Windows XP I guess..., and have used it from Windows, through the Mac PPC, then Mac Intel, then Mac 64-bit transitions...

So just because it's the Mac platform, doesn't mean *no* old stuff will work... ;)
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby resistorman » Sun May 17, 2020 5:21 pm

Shouldn’t any class compliant midi device work? It shouldn’t even need drivers, right?
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Sun May 17, 2020 6:13 pm

resistorman wrote:Shouldn’t any class compliant midi device work? It shouldn’t even need drivers, right?

Yes, stuff that is class-compliant is not generally a problem.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Sun May 17, 2020 7:16 pm

I bought an old MOTU Fastlane USB interface from Ebay and was surprised to find that the driver package for Windows worked in much the same way as RME - the one driver download supports all their MIDI interfaces and even includes a Windows version of Clockworks which used to be Mac only.

The Fastlane appears to be supported on Catalina according to MOTU's web site.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Sun May 17, 2020 7:23 pm

Old and Unwise wrote:I can’t believe this little metal box is desperately sophisticated - a little point to point wiring and a bit of RC circuitry, perhaps?
It's a good bit more complicated than that.

Is it actually non-functional on your system right now? That's pretty poor, because the MIDIsport range is still current. If you look at the website, the driver has been updated since 2009, but the site says there is no driver for Catalina. Perhaps it is a security issue and the driver needs to be allowed to install? Try re-installing the driver, with the security pane open from System Preferences, see if it shows up as blocked. You might need to re-start the machine.

That said, M-Audio have a very poor track record when it comes to driver support. Even when drivers were working, they were using outdated/ dodgy code libraries with their FW series of audio interfaces, for example.
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster

Postby Trevor Johnson » Sun May 17, 2020 7:33 pm

M-Audio have a very poor track record when it comes to driver support

Apart from the 24/96 PCI card, which is the audio equivalent of a cockroach; impossible to kill and been around for ever.

I still have one in an HTPC running Win 10 and running a pair of Mackies.
Trevor Johnson
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun May 17, 2020 7:36 pm

I have a 5V one and, frustratingly, missed out on the exchange scheme when they would exchange an old 5V card for a new 3.3V version FOC. :headbang:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Mixedup » Sun May 17, 2020 11:16 pm

desmond wrote:So just because it's the Mac platform, doesn't mean *no* old stuff will work... ;)

No. You *can* get lucky. It's kinda like buying a super-expensive lottery ticket. :lol:
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby innerchord » Sun May 17, 2020 11:35 pm

Trevor Johnson wrote:Apart from the 24/96 PCI card, which is the audio equivalent of a cockroach; impossible to kill and been around for ever.

I still have one in an HTPC running Win 10 and running a pair of Mackies.

Do you happen to know if the old Delta systems work on Windows 10? I have a couple of those I've not used in years. They should go to a new home if they're still useful.
innerchord
Regular

Next