You are here

Spending money on microphones

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Spending money on microphones

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:15 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:The Blue Baby Bottle (SL) is not an expensive mic, is this a previous incarnation or the same as the current version?

It's the original version which Mike is using, and it was £630 when I reviewed it* (with the accessories). I think most hobbiests would call that 'expensive'...

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/blue-baby-bottle

Then again, £380 for the new model isn't exactly beer money, either! Although it's not serious pro-mic territory, I grant you.

*Good grief... 18 years ago! It's a vintage collectable mic now! :lol: I bought the review model because I like the way it sounded on male voice...
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Mike Stranks » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:16 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:The Blue Baby Bottle (SL) is not an expensive mic, is this a previous incarnation or the same as the current version?

Well it may not be expensive to you... :)
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:25 pm

It's all relative, like you it's certainly more than I've ever spent on a mic...... But I'd describe it as mid range rather than expensive.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby CS70 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:42 pm

Now now... a Sony C800G is expensive :bouncy:

But word to what you said Mike: one absolutely does not need expensive microphones to get great results.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:34 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:... if I can be metaphorical: my post is commenting on a set of tyres I'm using... it's not an introduction to the state of the worldwide rubber industry... :D

Beautifully put Mike - I'm surprised that no-one else commented on your lovely turn of phrase ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:14 pm

I gyuess we've just come to expect it :D
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby John Willett » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:56 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:
CS70 wrote:You don't know the power of the dark side of the mics!

Ah, to this day I miss the dedicated Microphones subforum. A place where you could say, "My name is CC and I am a micoholic" and everyone understood ...

CC

My name is John and I'm a micoholic. :mrgreen:

And - yes - I have always from the very start, bought the very best microphones I could afford. My thinking that, as the very beginning of the recording chain, the microphone was the most important part of the recording tools as it's the one item that converts acoustic energy into electrical energy and you have to get that right. :thumbup:

But I was a bit shocked to realise that if I had to buy them all again now I would have to fork out £50k or so. :o
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby ManFromGlass » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:48 pm

Imagine what the next generation of micoholics will pay.
:crazy:
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Previous