You are here

Officially switching to Mac! What won't work?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Re: Officially switching to Mac! What won't work?

Postby wireman » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:45 am

blinddrew wrote:The biggest thing that won't work is all your ingrained habits as you keep looking for a right-click button! :)

I used to use a middle button.

As for MACs it used to annoy me that you could only expand a window by one corner.
wireman
Regular

Postby garrettendi » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:00 pm

blinddrew wrote:The biggest thing that won't work is all your ingrained habits as you keep looking for a right-click button! :)

I don’t know about earlier versions but on ours you can configure the Magic Mouse to have a right click
garrettendi
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:57 pm

I've got a right click on my Macs, it just isn't activated as a default.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ConcertinaChap » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:34 pm

I never use Apple mice, they've never had the knack of designing decent ones. Two button mice with scroll wheels work just as you expect them to provided you remember to clear the Scroll direction: Natural (sic) box in mouse preferences. Oh, and MacOS has had the ability to resize windows from any boundary for several versions now.

The later Apple trackpads, OTOH, are a classy design with their haptic feedback. Only thing is they still feel like a solution looking for a problem to me.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
We are normal and we want our freedom!.

Postby garrettendi » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:38 pm

Our Mac arrived on Friday and I've gotta say.. Wow!

Haven't installed any studio stuff but we had to do streaming etc for the church Deaf community yesterday and it passed with flying colours.

I'm sold now. Never going back to Windows.
garrettendi
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:05 pm

I like mine as you know. And I like both the Magic Mouse with it's multitouch scrolling and 'two button' operation and the touchpad on my MBP with similar.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby zenguitar » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:20 pm

My experience is just the same. Really easy switching between the Magic Mouse with my iMac and the touchpad on my MBP.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby ManFromGlass » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:22 pm

I’ve been using the vertical mouse for years with my macs. Wrist problems are minimal. It has 3 buttons, a scroll wheel and a thumb button. The scroll wheel also acts as a button I believe but I only use 2 buttons and scroll wheel.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby BigRedX » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:56 pm

I've been a Mac user since the late 80s when the mouse only had a single button (and was a boxy shape). I've got so used to using the modifier keys - Command, Option, Control and Shift together with mouse clicks that I actually find the "right button" an inconvenience and have it turned off. The scrolling on the Magic Mouse is definitely worth having though. I'm sure there are good third-party mice out there but all the ones I've come across (attached to Windows machines) feel flimsy and cheap compare to Apple's offerings.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Postby Humble Bee » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:33 pm

Happy Mac-under here to! Since 1990!
Now you can have a go at GarageBand! Great fun! And free!
Humble Bee
Regular

Postby garrettendi » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:52 pm

Humble Bee wrote:Happy Mac-under here to! Since 1990!
Now you can have a go at GarageBand! Great fun! And free!

I would use GarageBand but I’ve heard Reaper is much better and I already have it from my Windows days!
garrettendi
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Kwackman » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:45 pm

garrettendi wrote:I would use GarageBand but I’ve heard Reaper is much better and I already have it from my Windows days!
Regardless of which is better it's probably a good idea to stick with Reaper to avoid having learn another DAW.
Welcome to Macs! :thumbup:
Which Mac did you get?
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby James Perrett » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:51 pm

garrettendi wrote:I would use GarageBand but I’ve heard Reaper is much better and I already have it from my Windows days!

It is well worth having a play with GarageBand just to see what you come up with. It won't replace Reaper but it could be fun.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby garrettendi » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:21 pm

Kwackman wrote:Which Mac did you get?

My wife’s ancient MacBook from 2015 is on Deaths Door so we decided to get our first family Mac and also decided we might as well go big...

We got the 21.5 inch iMac 4K upgraded to 32gb RAM. On top of a quad core 3ghz CPU a 2gb Radeon 555X this should see us through the next few years with no need to to upgrade.

I hope...

:headbang:
garrettendi
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Watchmaker » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:32 pm

I switched to Mac oh about 7 years ago now. Still on the 2013 27" iMac with no issues at all.

It took considerably less time to adjust than I thought and though Mac still disorients me, my PC usage is reduced to spreadsheets and solitaire. and the occasional reinstall. Since WIN10 came, Windows is hardly appealing at all as an OS so when this craptop finally dies, I will go back to tablets and chisels for budgeting.
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

PreviousNext