You are here

What are you using your Atari for?

For all other computers and operating systems, including Atari, Linux and mobile apps.

Re: What are you using your Atari for?

Postby Eazy360 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:44 am

I think it's important to separate i`Atari´ the brand, and the company carrying the Atari name. With that being said...the Atari brand is beloved and has incredibly high nostalgia and attachment among-st all children of the 80s :geek:
Eazy360
Poster

Postby David Etheridge » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:48 pm

And I'm back again!
After nearly six years in store, the entire studio is back in a new premises and it's gradually being re-commissioned. Guess what? The Ataris fired up first time with no problems, although one of my Syquest drives has thrown a wobbly and will need to be replaced - no matter, I have three spares and an EZflyer to replace it :D
Synthwise, I'm still expanding. It looks like it'll total out at 28 synths and modules, with recent acquisitions of a Korg 01W and an X5DR (if they're good enough for Rick Wakeman.....) and I have my eyes on a future XV5080 for more soundtrack work. My humble Fostex 80 is in for an MOT and an oil change (it's first since 1986!) and even my Sony PCM/Betamax mastering set up is fine. Most of the synths are fine although one or two needed new batteries and a couple of backlights, but with luck this studio of mine will last another 30 years.
The biggest problem of all is re-allocating MIDI channels to the various synths. Some of them will only work on all 16 channels, and you can't turn them off (particularly my little monster, a Ketron SD2, the smallest module but in its own way astonishing for its size and power). Still I have 96 MIDI channels to play with, and I haven't even investigated the possibility of slaving two Ataris together with Notator! :bouncy:
David Etheridge
Regular
Ataris which keep on going, 28 hardware synths. Still recording to tape.

Postby desmond » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:52 pm

Welcome back, David!
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby ManFromGlass » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:05 pm

I keep reminding myself to buy an Atari t-shirt like the youngsters wear. That’s enough reminder of all the fun and a tiny bit of frustration that were the Atari days. Still amazed at the pieces I was able to write on it back then, all synced to video. :D
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Elf » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:12 pm

I've got an XV-5080 here , stuffed with expansions, looking for a new home. Drop me a PM if you want to discuss, mate. Be quick, though - it's just gone auction-ward!

(Good to see you here!)
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Folderol » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:39 pm

Welcome back :)

Oh, and similarly, seeing as you're using an open-reel taperecorder, would you be interested in a UHER Report Monitor, the needs new rewind belts, but otherwise seems to be fine?
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:40 pm

Welcome back David - you seem to be being deluged with potential gifts, so I've got a spare battery you can have if you're interested :mrgreen:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Folderol » Mon May 25, 2020 6:56 pm

Gone very quiet here :(
Although not an Atari owner myself, I always like to hear about what folks are doing with them.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby ManFromGlass » Mon May 25, 2020 11:15 pm

I’m curious too due to the good memories. Sold mine years ago. Created some fun tracks with it, mostly for modern dance companies. I do remember dragging it samplers and synths into a studio a number of times. I can’t imagine bringing my tower to a studio now, not that I’m weak but I’m not that strong!
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby alexpop » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:43 pm

Got two Ste‘s one is 4MB, not sure what the other one is can’t determine the ram. Ironically the 4MB STe disc drive started playing up, ie not working ( both Ataris I bought just over 10 years ago ..cheap then) so I had to dig the other Atari out not used for a decade and it fired up no probs. With Unitor I’m managing to run a Roland /Micro Korg .. and a Casio WK - not much overflow ( if any) with the Emagic Notator 3.21. With the lockdown bla bla bla .. it’s been great fun tarting up old songs. Need more gear though.
alexpop
New here

Postby David Etheridge » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:14 pm

Alex - need more gear? Everyone knows that you can NEVER have too many synths/samplers/fx/ etc ad nauseam.. :bouncy:
David Etheridge
Regular
Ataris which keep on going, 28 hardware synths. Still recording to tape.

Postby alexpop » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:19 pm

David Etheridge wrote:Alex - need more gear? Everyone knows that you can NEVER have too many synths/samplers/fx/ etc ad nauseam.. :bouncy:

Hi David,

NEVER have”?

True dat. :)

Fun working on old songs. Ironically I’ve not written any new stuff, just rearranging old songs tempo change, groove mode etc with Notator SL 3.21...never ends the endless creativity loop.
Keeps you busy I guess. But, new gear? Always on the lookout. :)

Best wishes,
Alex
alexpop
New here

Postby The Korff » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:57 am

There's some fine Atari (and Amiga) action in our latest SOS Feature Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDn7ZDcx9w0
The Korff
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Previous