You are here

Mastering House ???

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: Mastering House ???

Postby pianoworldstage » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:55 pm

blinddrew wrote:What I can't work out from their text is whether the 16bit approach gets you onto Apple's 'standard' format or just not on Apple at all.

OP, Just to clarify,

CD Baby just got back to me and confirmed Apple / ITunes do accept 16 bit files as standard submission without the mastering house verification tag. Its only 24 bit files that Apple / iTunes require mastering verification.
pianoworldstage
Regular
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:39 pm

Re: Mastering House ???

Postby RichardT » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:19 pm

I wonder how much impact MFIT will have. It seems a lot of faff for the artist and mastering house.
RichardT
Regular
Posts: 262
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am
Location: London UK

Re: Mastering House ???

Postby CS70 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:46 pm

pianoworldstage wrote:Whereas only the 24 bit file option for ITunes needs mastering verification?

Can't see why a 24 bit file should be particularly better in general than a "classic" 16 bit one.
It could be that their compression/encoding algorithm has been tuned so that it can take more hints from the little additional information present with 24 bit samples, and thus produce a better quality compressed format.

But being the ambient noise what it is for most recordings, it seems unlikely, at least for the vast majority of "normally" recorded music. I have zero problems submitting "cd" 16 bit masters.. let's just say I don't think the quality of my music and the experience depends on that. At all.

Nothing that a good old ABX test can't fix, however.
User avatar
CS70
Jedi Poster
Posts: 6035
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:00 am
Location: Oslo, Norway
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Re: Mastering House ???

Postby RichardT » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:01 pm

CS70 wrote:
pianoworldstage wrote:Whereas only the 24 bit file option for ITunes needs mastering verification?

Can't see why a 24 bit file should be particularly better in general than a "classic" 16 bit one.
It could be that their compression/encoding algorithm has been tuned so that it can take more hints from the little additional information present with 24 bit samples, and thus produce a better quality compressed format.

But being the ambient noise what it is for most recordings, it seems unlikely, at least for the vast majority of "normally" recorded music. I have zero problems submitting "cd" 16 bit masters.. let's just say I don't think the quality of my music and the experience depends on that. At all.

Nothing that a good old ABX test can't fix, however.

I agree. The extra 8 bits lower the noise floor in theory, but it’s doubtful it makes much if any difference in practice.
RichardT
Regular
Posts: 262
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am
Location: London UK

Re: Mastering House ???

Postby zenguitar » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:03 pm

Perhaps the mastering verification is to ensure that no one is tempted to pad their 16 bit recordings with 8 zeros and call them 24 bit.

Andy :beamup:
User avatar
zenguitar
Moderator
Posts: 10423
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 1:00 am
Location: Devon
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Re: Mastering House ???

Postby blinddrew » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:48 pm

pianoworldstage wrote:
blinddrew wrote:What I can't work out from their text is whether the 16bit approach gets you onto Apple's 'standard' format or just not on Apple at all.

OP, Just to clarify,

CD Baby just got back to me and confirmed Apple / ITunes do accept 16 bit files as standard submission without the mastering house verification tag. Its only 24 bit files that Apple / iTunes require mastering verification.
Thank you for confirming! :thumbup:
User avatar
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Posts: 11202
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am
Location: York
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: Mastering House ???

Postby Martin Walker » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:01 am

RichardT wrote:The extra 8 bits lower the noise floor in theory, but it’s doubtful it makes much if any difference in practice.

I totally agree, and routinely convert all FLAC files I buy on Bandcamp to 44.1kHz/16-bit format, which in a lot of cases saves an awful lot of hard drive space without compromising audio quality in the slightest.

And as I've mentioned before in similar discussions, I take exception to the few labels who insist on charging more for a 24-bit release than a 16-bit one :headbang:


Martin
User avatar
Martin Walker
Moderator
Posts: 16215
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:44 am
Location: Cornwall, UK

Previous