You are here

Acoustic guitar to complement my Larrivee OM-01

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Acoustic guitar to complement my Larrivee OM-01

Postby Guitarking » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:34 am

Hi everyone,

I have a Larrivee OM-01 which I really like.
It does fingerstyle best, gorgeous! Strumming is also nice, single lines is maybe it's 'weakest' part, maybe a bit honkey?

I'm looking for a second acoustic gutiar (not nylon) to complement the character of my OM-01. I'll be mainly using it for recording accompiments for singer songwriter, pop, fingerstyle and blues. Also solo's, Not really into bluegrass etc...

I was at a friends and compared my guitar with some more expensive Martins, e.g. M38. We found that the Larrivee could use some more body and lower end.

I'm thinking about a Martin D18. It's a classic and what I hear online it sound beautiful. I like the Martin sound. Another friend has a Martin OM01 which I liked too (and not too expensive).
I'm not interested in lots of visual beauties/refinements, just a great sound!

Will a dreadnought be a good complement? Will a dreadnought do single lines well? Would a D be too overpowering in a smaller room in which I record?
Or should I keep the OM? Is it better for recording (as you roll of the bass anyway??)
Guitarking
Regular

Re: Acoustic guitar to complement my Larrivee OM-01

Postby CS70 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:34 am

There's two options - one is, as u say, a classic dreadnought. Lovely sound, balanced, perhaps the most common shape so you find gazillions of models.

The other.. one of my favourite acoustic for picking work is my Gibson SJ-100. No bling, no nothing - just an amazing sound both acoustically and recorded. Jumbos are addictive.

The only problem is the dislocated shoulder when you try to play one on a sofa.. :D
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby blinddrew » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:36 am

Just to clarify, when you say it sounds a bit 'honky', is that the recorded sound or the actual sound of the guitar?
If the former it might be that it just needs a different mic position to get the best out of it.
If the latter, well, new toy time! :D
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Guitarking » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:45 pm

Honkyness is also acoustically but mic choice/positioning helps
Guitarking
Regular

Postby resistorman » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:43 am

I'd say a dreadnought since you have a smaller bodied guitar already.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby Guitarking » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:31 am

How would another Martin OM fare against the larrivee OM01? Maybe the OM21 rosewood would be a nice addition from Mahogony Larrivee? Or would 2 OM's be too similar? Just afraid a D will lack finesse?
Guitarking
Regular

Postby ore_terra » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:53 am

After 8 years I’m still in love with my mahogany sides and back J45 Acoustic Icon.

mellow low end, round sound. I’m actually quite often in similar dilemma, and find me thinking in an OM :lol:
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby CS70 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:53 am

Guitarking wrote:How would another Martin OM fare against the larrivee OM01? Maybe the OM21 rosewood would be a nice addition from Mahogony Larrivee? Or would 2 OM's be too similar? Just afraid a D will lack finesse?

An example of Martin OM21 Special is one of the nicest guitars I've tried. Nothing that could remotely be characterized as honkyness there. Unfortunately I didn't buy right away, and when I got to the shop the week after it was gone.

Haven't played others so don't know if it was that guitar or all 21 Specials sound like that. But then my other favorite Martin guitar is the OM-28V which I hear is quite similar.

I have a regular Martin OM28, which is slightly brighter. It works great for recording, but I might be selling it if I ever get in sight of another Special..
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:34 am

The best sounding acoustic I've ever played was a Collings D2H from about 2010. No lack of finesse there, simply stunning.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Hewesy » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:09 pm

A D series or shape would work nicely, but don't forget the DRS Road Series if you don't mind a more simpler spec.

Love my DRS1, now superceeded but can occasionally be found new.

Hewesy
Hewesy
Frequent Poster

Postby Guitarking » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:02 pm

Ok, got myself a Martin D18e-retro. Beautiful: nice strumming and suble fingerpicking. Wasn't interested in the build in Aura pickup but found this guitar more balanced than a normal D18 (reimagined) I played in another shop. That one had too much bass I found, mine's a bit more halanced. Don't know if its different strings (mine are Martin retro strings) or different space I played it in?
Guitarking
Regular

Postby CS70 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:11 pm

Guitarking wrote:Don't know if its different strings (mine are Martin retro strings) or different space I played it in?

Impossible to say unless you played them in the same room :)
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:58 pm

But it doesn't really matter of it makes the sound you want. Glad you're sorted. :thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Twangothan » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:13 pm

I too have an OM-01. Great aren't they! I use it or my Martin HD28v, generally. I also have an O series Lowden but it only really comes out for dropped tunings. My other go-to acoustic is my Martin D28-12 which was an impulse buy and gets used all the time.
Twangothan
Poster
If you like country with a boogie beat

Postby CS70 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:21 pm

Twangothan wrote:My other go-to acoustic is my Martin D28-12 which was an impulse buy

Blimey, a $2000 guitar an impulse buy? And I thought that I was loose with money... :bouncy:
CS70
Jedi Poster