You are here

True "performance" synthesisers.

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

True "performance" synthesisers.

Postby Arpangel » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:13 am

Since selling my Buchla Easel I’ve been floundering a bit, I wanted to achieve the same goals but using cheaper things, and I’ve ended up with a mish-mash of hand-me-downs, which are OK in their own right, but not as versatile, inspiring, or as creatively weird and productive as my Easel was.
Sure there are loads of things around you could call versatile and flexible, but not in the same way the Easel is, unpredictable, unfathomable, and I always ended up in places I never expected, good places too.
I don’t want to get another Easel, I don’t want to invest that much now, I’ve got my Arturia Micro Freak, which is like a poor mans Easel, it’s good, but not as weirdl, or as quirky.
I’m basically not happy having to use lots of different things, I need a one box solution, I’ve tried putting together a small modular, but that hasn’t worked out either, I need a self contained pre-configured instrument, it’s very difficult, and it’s not until you’ve sold something that the realisation sets in that some things just can’t be replaced, and are truly unique.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: True "performance" synthesisers.

Postby The Elf » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:26 am

Have you considered looking at the performance controller first, then choosing the instrument you'd like to control with it? Given the right controller even a black box could be the most expressive instrument.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Arpangel » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:35 am

The Elf wrote:Have you considered looking at the performance controller first, then choosing the instrument you'd like to control with it? Given the right controller even a black box could be the most expressive instrument.

Yes, in my thread about performing with Reaktor and a laptop, I’m still looking.
The Easel is Don Buchla's greatest design, simply because everything works "together" so well, and it doesn’t steer you in any direction whatsoever, it’s incredibly unlimited, and a lot of the decisions have been made for you, but that’s OK, it enables you to get on with the important stuff.
I'm happy with my patches in Reaktor, so that could be a way forward, I just need the right controller, wide ranging, can be a conventional keyboard if required, have ribbon qualities and at the same time as that, play discreet notes.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:52 am

I don't understand why, if you love the Buchla so much, and despise the computer to the same degree, why don't you just buy the Buchla again... What am I missing?
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Arpangel » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:00 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:What am I missing?

Four and a half grand!

:D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:50 pm

Well, yeah.... shouldn't have sold the first one, eh? ... but think of the guaranteed pleasure it will bring, and the removal of so many frustrations... You only live once, and time is way too short to piss about!
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Arpangel » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:59 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:You only live once, and time is way too short to piss about!

There’s nothing like not pissing about Hugh :)
Well said...

:thumbup:
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Rich Hanson » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:38 pm

I have to admit that given the way you talk about the way you work, I was somewhat taken aback when you said you had sold the Buchla.

You're your own worst enemy! :bouncy:
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Arpangel » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:21 pm

Rich Hanson wrote:I have to admit that given the way you talk about the way you work, I was somewhat taken aback when you said you had sold the Buchla.

You're your own worst enemy! :bouncy:

I know, sometimes I get very insecure, simple as that.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby resistorman » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:55 pm

A Hydrasynth with a LinnStrument keeps me busy! There are rabbit and black holes abounding. And the randomize parameters button will get you into uncharted territories right quick.

Another thing getting me into happy places I didn’t expect is a small modular setup featuring the Arbhar, 4ms Dual Delay, Tip-top Zverb and Erika vcf3. I’m feeding in bits of old compositions and improvisations and completely transmogrifying them.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby BJG145 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:03 pm

resistorman wrote:A Hydrasynth with a LinnStrument keeps me busy

That sounds like a heck of a combination. Jealous! :tongue:
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby resistorman » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:40 pm

BJG145 wrote:
resistorman wrote:A Hydrasynth with a LinnStrument keeps me busy

That sounds like a heck of a combination. Jealous! :tongue:

It’s like they’re made for each other. I’ve sold off most of my other synths because they don’t have MPE. I used to kludge multitimbral synths like the Integra-7 into pseudo MPE but that was never satisfying.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:52 pm

I hesitated to suggest stuff such as Hydrasynth, amazing though it is. I, too, have found it inspirational. Anything with poly AT and a ribbon can't be bad. Also, the combo of Roli Seaboard and Novation Peak is a heady one - Integra-7 too, up to a point.

I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of an Expressive Osmose. I have no interest in the in-built digital synth (sorry, guys!), but combined with a decent synth it should be incredible for performance.

But I know that most of this stuff won't appeal to Arpangel! :D
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Folderol » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:07 pm

Curious. There is no wikipedia entry for Hydrasynth :shocked:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby The Elf » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:48 pm

Folderol wrote:Curious. There is no wikipedia entry for Hydrasynth :shocked:
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/asm-hydrasynth
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Next