You are here

Looking for a 43” (or larger) 16:9 computer monitor. But which one?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Looking for a 43” (or larger) 16:9 computer monitor. But which one?

Postby Boulez » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:20 pm

Not sure if this is the right forum for this question… am looking for a 16:9 / 43” (possibly 48” or 55”?) monitor (visual not loudspeaker!)

The reason for the size is to minimise vertical scrolling when working on large orchestral scores (ideally seeing piccolo and double basses at same time).

BUT: I’m 60s, have early cataracts, PVD, get ocular migraine. Will inevitably be working with monitor too many hours per day. So—hoping to minimise eye strain... :shocked: :crazy:

It’s to pair with a Mac Pro 2019. One Mac Pro XDR display is waay too pricey (let alone two, as one XDR is not large enough. Two in portrait mode would be super nice…..). But any small advantage eyes-wise might be worth paying for. Nice image quality might help. Colour fidelity not important.

Connecting more than one computer at once could be useful—which suggests the Dell P4317Q https://dell.to/31lJBwL might be the one. Does anyone here one use one of these? Recommend? Is it noisy at all? Easy to look at for long periods?

I’ve read that OLED screens are better for your eyes—but OLEDs get ‘burn-in’. I’ll be using Logic and Dorico mainly, and static images cause the problem. So I wonder if anyone knows, if you always used an OLED at low brightness, would it still ‘burn-in’? The Dell AW5520QF https://dell.to/3lcxMRy is a lot of money, but I wonder if—for my particular eyes—it might be worth it ??

Also been looking at Philips Momentum 558M1RY (55 inch). Also Acer Predator CG437K, which though a gaming monitor (I don’t game…) gets better reviews than the Dell 43…

All the above have flicker free / blue light filter / non-reflective screen etc.

Would be extremely grateful if anyone has experience to share on any of this.

Sorry for the longish message…

Thank you 8-) :angel:
Boulez
Poster

Re: Looking for a 43” (or larger) 16:9 computer monitor. But which one?

Postby CS70 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:36 pm

Not sure if 48" exists, but 49" is basically two 27" near each other with all the benefits of a single panel and - due to screen-splitting and docking allowed by the driver - none of the cons.

I went with a Samsung QLED 49" LC49RG90 and can't be happier with it. It's very odd when sitting at 34" 16:9 someplace else suddenly feels very constrained :D

Worth paying attention to the resolution, some of the lower end ones (if a 49" ultra wide screen can be "low end") have only 1080 at the max refresh rate, and that's imho too fuzzy for DAW work. You want a 1440 one.

As for the curvature, after five minutes you dont notice and it's actually pretty awesome.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby James Perrett » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:41 pm

If you need plenty of room vertically have you thought about using a smaller monitor (or two) in portrait mode? I'm fairly sure that the Dell monitors can handle this out of the box as they have adjustable stands (or at least they did when I last bought one).
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Boulez » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:15 pm

Hi CS70, Thanks very much. :thumbup:

I like the Samsung curved ultra-wide monitors a lot – unfortunately a single one doesn’t have the height required for big orchestral scores – if the orchestra is large it’s a long way from the flutes at the top to the basses at the bottom! And the idea is to avoid scrolling endlessly. I did think about buying two ultra-wides and somehow fixing them so one sits on top of the other. I haven’t worked out if this is possible. Maybe someone here has done that?
Boulez
Poster

Postby Boulez » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:21 pm

Hi James,

Thanks! :thumbup: – Yes, that was kind of my idea with two the Pro XDRs… but just a wee bit too pricey! I realise it could be done with other portait-mode-supporting monitors. But I *think* a 43" or 55" would just about be high enough. I still can’t get my head 100% around whether having two smaller monitors is a plus or a minus. I’m tending to think one big space and no-bezels-in-the-way is better... at the moment…
Boulez
Poster

Postby CS70 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:26 pm

Boulez wrote:Hi CS70, Thanks very much. :thumbup:

I like the Samsung curved ultra-wide monitors a lot – unfortunately a single one doesn’t have the height required for big orchestral scores – if the orchestra is large it’s a long way from the flutes at the top to the basses at the bottom! And the idea is to avoid scrolling endlessly. I did think about buying two ultra-wides and somehow fixing them so one sits on top of the other. I haven’t worked out if this is possible. Maybe someone here has done that?

Two ideas - some "normal" monitors, not curved nor ultra wide - are made so that they can be positioned vertically on their stand exactly for people working with "paper" style documents. They're much cheaper and in your case one would do fine!

Don't have any specific models in mind but they should be fairly easy to find, the only trick is the monitor stands which has height and rotation enough. A 27" in vertical orientation (or two) would basically give you two "sheets" of virtual paper for your work. Most graphic cards this side of 2000 will allow you to set the signal orientation via hardware.

As for two wide monitors on top of each other, it's absolutely possible, there's all kind of monitor stands that can be used. High mentioned the other day the excellent Ergotron https://www.ergotron.com/en-gb/products ... ti-monitor
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:31 pm

I much prefer two monitors (I use 24 inch 'wide' screens) to a single larger one. I can maximise my project to one monitor and my mixer to the other.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby CS70 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:37 pm

The Elf wrote:I much prefer two monitors (I use 24 inch 'wide' screens) to a single larger one. I can maximise my project to one monitor and my mixer to the other.

Just for information - Windows at least allows wide screen management, so there's no difference in that regard (apart no bezel, of course) - you can explicitly split the wide screen as if you had two distinct monitors.

Windows Snap works fine for dual monitor arrangement. For more complex stuff (three areas, for example) you use stuff like DisplayFusion.
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby Boulez » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:57 pm

Thanks CS70

2 x Samsung C49RG90 would be quite pricey but a pretty fabulous solution. I’ll definitely have a think about that (could buy one to begin with…). Or perhaps two slightly smaller Samsung curves.

The Ergotron stands look very practical and cool. On some of the curved screens I’ve looked at the stand was built-in (non-removable) which is why I’d stopped considering two ultra-wides. But I’m guessing from what you say that on your Samsung the stand is removable? Anyway, that’s something I can check out with Samsung! Great help – thank you very much! :thumbup: :thumbup:
Boulez
Poster

Postby Boulez » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:21 pm

The Elf & CS70

Yes, not having tried all this before I’m still just trying to imagine the pros and cons of one monitor or multiple. My main applications are Logic, Dorico and a piece of music software designed by myself and written by a friend. Ideally, I’d like 4 main screen configurations, and to be able to flip easily between them: (a) All Screen Space = Logic (b) All Screen Space = Dorico (c) Half each Screen Space (divided Left and Right) = Logic / Dorico (4) Some other division, with other programmes there too

I'm guessing this is not a problem, with Mac Pro, and the two curved widescreens, one above the other?

With the Dell 43”, you can simultaneously display the output from up to 4 different machines. I definitely won’t need to connect 4 machines to one monitor. But of course two widescreens will take two machines, which would be incredible anyway.
Boulez
Poster

Postby CS70 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:26 pm

Boulez wrote:But I’m guessing from what you say that on your Samsung the stand is removable?

Yeah, the stand that comes with the monitor is good but it's removable, on the back there's a standard VESA mount socket so no problem with any arm that can withstand the weight.
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby Boulez » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:29 pm

CS70 wrote:Yeah, the stand that comes with the monitor is good but on the back there's a standard VESA mount socket so no problem with any arm that can withstand the weight.[/Cool quote]

Cool -- thanks!
Boulez
Poster

Postby Boulez » Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:06 pm

CS70
Aside from the single/multiple monitor issue, what’s even more important to me is whether the screen can be turned down to comfortable levels of brightness. The Samsung C49RG90 looks like a fab monitor (according to reviews), but it’s max luminence is 1000 nits (very bright) and I can’t see the minimum luminence, which manufacturers seldom quote.

CS70, may I ask if your Samsung monitor still looks clear and readable at pretty low levels of brightness? BTW, I realise there are softwares like f.lux and IRIS to help deal with this…

Many thanks.
Boulez
Poster

Postby CS70 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:05 pm

Boulez wrote:CS70, may I ask if your Samsung monitor still looks clear and readable at pretty low levels of brightness? BTW, I realise there are softwares like f.lux and IRIS to help deal with this…

Many thanks.

It's still pretty sunny up here in Oslo, but I've tried reducing brightness to almost minimum and things seem clear and readable to me.. but not sure exactly what you mean. I do have the Nvdia control panel with calibration adjustments on. Perhaps the best would be to go testing in a shop?
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby Trevor Johnson » Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:07 pm

Aside from the single/multiple monitor issue, what’s even more important to me is whether the screen can be turned down to comfortable levels of brightness

Use hardware calibration, which loads the saved file into the Win folder. I use Datacolor, but X-Rite, etc., are also good. You can tweek the file in terms of brightness, contrast, colour temperature, prior to saving it.
Trevor Johnson
Regular

Next