You are here

Looking for a 43” (or larger) 16:9 computer monitor. But which one?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Re: Looking for a 43” (or larger) 16:9 computer monitor. But which one?

Postby Boulez » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:07 pm

CS70 wrote:
It's still pretty sunny up here in Oslo, but I've tried reducing brightness to almost minimum and things seem clear and readable to me.. but not sure exactly what you mean. I do have the Nvdia control panel with calibration adjustments on. Perhaps the best would be to go testing in a shop?

I'm in the Styx and though I'd be prepared to do a trip to London I haven't actually found anywhere you can view kit of this calibre in the flesh. Hard to explain what I mean as it's hard to explain what it's like seeing thru my eyes... But Trevor has just posted that these things can be controlled so maybe I don't need to worry about this (I assume 'f.luz' does the same for the Mac).

Thanks v much for looking :thumbup:
Boulez
Poster

Postby Boulez » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:15 pm

Trevor Johnson wrote:Use hardware calibration, which loads the saved file into the Win folder. I use Datacolor, but X-Rite, etc., are also good. You can tweek the file in terms of brightness, contrast, colour temperature, prior to saving it.

Thanks very much Trevor :thumbup:

I guess these are the companies you mean?

https://www.datacolor.com/ and https://www.xrite.com/categories

Not sure though if this is relevant to what I need! I may be missing the point?? Sorry...
Boulez
Poster

Postby Boulez » Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:20 pm

Boulez wrote:
Not sure though if this is relevant to what I need! I may be missing the point?? Sorry...

Trevor -- Ooops - apologies, I misread your message (eyes). I'll look into this, also whether there's a Mac equivalent. Thanks.
Boulez
Poster

Postby al_diablo » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:13 pm

Boulez wrote:
Trevor Johnson wrote:Use hardware calibration, which loads the saved file into the Win folder. I use Datacolor, but X-Rite, etc., are also good. You can tweek the file in terms of brightness, contrast, colour temperature, prior to saving it.

Thanks very much Trevor :thumbup:

I guess these are the companies you mean?

https://www.datacolor.com/ and https://www.xrite.com/categories

Edited for relevance-

If you go for the 2 monitors route I would definitely calibrate, so their output matches. Even on the same settings there are often quite big differences between monitors, which is maddening if you are switching your attention between them
al_diablo
Regular

Postby CS70 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:31 pm

al_diablo wrote:If you go for the 2 monitors route I would definitely calibrate, so their output matches.

As a note: that is much easier said than done.

It was actually the exasperation with fine-tuning the properties of two monitors (which periodically slightly drift) that was the final trigger to get a single super-wide one for me.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby al_diablo » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:18 pm

True, and it gets expensive to buy the calibration tools
al_diablo
Regular

Postby Boulez » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:54 pm

Hi Guys

Thanks for the recent comments, which I just saw. (I'm not sure why the Forum doesn't alert me to posts that respond to my thread—it should shouldn't it?)

News update: in the end I bought the Dell U4320Q 43", and I'm very pleased with it, primarily because I can definitely look at it for quite long periods without feeling excess eye strain. I wouldn't say that that it's the greatest thing for watching videos, and I've definitely seen clearer and more beautiful images -- but the main thing is that I can work without suffering or feeling I'm screwing my eyes up any further. So - mission accomplished!

People say 43" is too big for a desk monitor. I find the opposite, I really like it - in fact if it was a little bigger I'd be even happier...

Thanks again for all the advice folks! :thumbup: :thumbup:
Boulez
Poster

Previous