You are here

Ensoniq SQ-80

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Ensoniq SQ-80

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:53 pm

I went to a car boot sale this morning with a friend, as I was after a cheap 'n cheerful electric guitar to have a little fun with and he's a regular there.

Within 2 minutes of getting there my mate swooped into a pile of stuff someone was unloading from a van, pointed at a nondescript-looking keyboard leaning up against the wall and asked how much.

The chap shrugged..."tenner?"

The deal was done there and then. It was an Ensoniq SQ-80 ... rather a nice sounding thing. Digital but with analogue resonant filters and polyphonic aftertouch for a tenner. Not a bad find I thought!
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project

Re: Ensoniq SQ-80

Postby desmond » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:58 pm

Score!

I remember the days of shoddy music shops with little cheap synth gems that no one wanted tucked away in the back somewhere.

Sadly, with the internet and vintage frenzy (and the death of retail) those days are loooong gone...

The ESQ1 was well regarded as a quite flexible and good sounding mid-range synth back in the day, and the SQ80 is basically just a slightly upgraded ESQ1. Should be able to make some useful noise... :thumbup:
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby BillB » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:00 pm

I won't swear on a forum so... Oh, goodness! What a nice find! :evil:

Yes, it's a fab synth and one of my favourites. And before any idiot turns up carping about clacky keys, two things: Poly Pressure; and how do you record your synths anyway - with a microphone pointing at the keyboard?
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby BillB » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:22 pm

Incidentally, if you / your friend want any info on the SQ80, I have gathered most of what there is on the internet and happy to share. See, I'm not bitter. :lolno:
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:49 pm

I shall pass the message on and I now know who to ping if there are any questions. Thank you :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project

Postby nathanscribe » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:56 pm

TEN QUID

*lies down*

Nice grab, good to know there are still bargains to be found. Even if it does mean getting up early!
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Postby forumuser737199 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:10 pm

Great score that. I have an ESQ-1 and think it sounds excellent. The SQ-80 is even better! :thumbup:
forumuser737199

Postby BJG145 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:12 pm

desmond wrote:I remember the days of shoddy music shops with little cheap synth gems that no one wanted tucked away in the back somewhere. The ESQ1 was well regarded as a quite flexible and good sounding mid-range synth back in the day.

My synth addiction started with a £50 ESQ1 in Cash Converters. Ensoniqs are lovely machines.
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:57 pm

Great synth, fabulous bargain. Lovely user interface and nothing else sounds quite like it. I am jealous. I have a broken ESQ-1 here. It was free, but so far my time has not been successful. There is no service manual, although some clever people put together a schematic and the common problems are well documented on the SQ80 email list run by Rainer Buchty.
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster

Postby Folderol » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:01 pm

Tomás Mulcahy wrote:Great synth, fabulous bargain. Lovely user interface and nothing else sounds quite like it. I am jealous. I have a broken ESQ-1 here. It was free, but so far my time has not been successful. There is no service manual, although some clever people put together a schematic and the common problems are well documented on the SQ80 email list run by Rainer Buchty.
Just how broken?
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby zenguitar » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:33 pm

nathanscribe wrote:Nice grab, good to know there are still bargains to be found. Even if it does mean getting up early!

There's always the option of having a very long lie in the day before and then staying up ll night to get there very early ;)

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
liberté, frivolité et vanité

Postby BillB » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:25 pm

zenguitar wrote:
nathanscribe wrote:Nice grab, good to know there are still bargains to be found. Even if it does mean getting up early!

There's always the option of having a very long lie in the day before and then staying up ll night to get there very early ;)

Spoken like a true music professional.
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby nathanscribe » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:45 pm

BillB wrote:
zenguitar wrote:

Spoken like a true music professional.

:clap:
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Postby Arpangel » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:02 am

If I’d had found this I would be going crazy, especially for £10!
The string sounds, which are some of the best on any synth, are worth having on their own, that was a great find, and I’m extremely jealous.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster