You are here

Most underrated synths...

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: Most underrated synths...

Postby ManFromGlass » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:11 pm

There is still one patch the D-70 did that I’ve never heard elsewhere. I miss it!
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Elf » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:10 pm

OK Bill!

I'm fitting this in with the mix work I'm doing today, but here's a quick 'n' dirty example for you. :D

Here are the chords I have running in one part of this song:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tud08wr8gg44f8s/Wounded%20Healer%20Chords.wav?dl=0

And here are the same chords with a smudge of K1r strings:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/11qf6az7lpqvnz4/Wounded%20Healer%20Chords%20%2B%20K1r.wav?dl=0

If I was doing this properly I would blend the in/outs of the K1r to help mask the in/out points, but hopefully you can hear how it adds a roughness to the smooth 'posh' synth part and the two work as a better whole than either of the parts. It's as if the K1r is adding a bit of 'bow' to the strings.

This trick works almost every time - add a gorgeous synth part, then add a nasty K1r part - and the two love each other!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby desmond » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:24 pm

I really liked the first clip, sounds great, but the second was ruined by a cheap string patch underneath... :lol: :bouncy: :tongue:

(It's not even the best string patch on the K1... :tongue: ;) )
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby The Elf » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:45 pm

desmond wrote:I really liked the first clip, sounds great, but the second was ruined by a cheap string patch underneath... :lol: :bouncy: :tongue:
:clap: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:14 pm

Dave B wrote:One of my favourite underrated synths was my old Roland D70. Slim, light, excellent keybed, large display, cool sounds, I loved mine to bits

I was at university when this came out and at the time I desired it beyond imagining. I'd been bowled over by a D20 I briefly laid hands on in a shop in Tottenham Court Road, as at the time I only owned a Yamaha DX9 and knew little or nothing of how any other kind of synth worked.

'Breathy choir' sounds were a huge attraction for me, being completely out of the range of a 4-op FM board. I did eventually get a second hand D10, but soon outgrew it (and it was incredibly unstable when driven over MIDI in multi-timbral mode from an external sequencer).

Never got to own a D70, but I get a warm and fuzzy feeling every time I see one mentioned :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project

Postby BillB » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:37 pm

The Elf wrote:OK Bill!
If I was doing this properly I would blend the in/outs of the K1r to help mask the in/out points, but hopefully you can hear how it adds a roughness to the smooth 'posh' synth part and the two work as a better whole than either of the parts. It's as if the K1r is adding a bit of 'bow' to the strings. This trick works almost every time - add a gorgeous synth part, then add a nasty K1r part - and the two love each other!

Thanks Elf, I really appreciate you making the time to do this. Agree, they could be blended better (longer attack / release on the K1r sound?) but I get what you mean about the sound of bowing - that was my instinctive response when I heard it. It is an element that can be missing from string sounds.

It puts me in mind of the forum discussion a few months back, about Dave Spier's love letter to the CS80. That made me think I should experiment more with complimentary layers from different synths, rather than just accepting the patch as stored on a given synth. In presenting two synths in one box, the CS80 makes it almost impossible to avoid such experiments - in a good way.

Don't think I'll be buying a K1 on the strength of this (I have other fairly lo-res digital gear), but the principle of a bit of rough, to add texture to the smooth, is great one. Thank you :D
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:43 pm

It's not just the strings that this works with. Adding a bit of K1 choir to a string pad works superbly too. It's really about the strings, choir and flute, for me. The rest of the K1's sound set is, unfortunately, as woeful as noted by others in this thread! :lol: :tongue:

Truth is I could probably achieve all of this with a bit of basic sampling, but it's nice to have the real thing here.

Yep, I didn't make any effort here to smooth out the attack/release of the K1r - obviously I would do that if it were to be used for real.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby desmond » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:54 pm

The Elf wrote:The rest of the K1's sound set is, unfortunately, as woeful as noted by others in this thread! :lol: :tongue:

:thumbup:

The Elf wrote:Truth is I could probably achieve all of this with a bit of basic sampling, but it's nice to have the real thing here.

Yep. The K1 is fairly easy to multisample, as there's so few good sounds... ;)

Plus there's also that free K1 plugin (PC only at this time, and it's a bit ugly but PC users are used to that so...) which will substitute nicely...

:tongue:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Vox Gnus » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:15 pm

Do you mean Nils' K1v plugin? It's now available for Mac, Windows, and Linux, and Kawai recently gave him their blessing to continue (and logos/sounds to use). And it's free (but please, donate if you like it!).

https://www.nilsschneider.de/wp/nils-k1v/
Vox Gnus
Poster

Postby desmond » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:27 pm

Vox Gnus wrote:Do you mean Nils' K1v plugin? It's now available for Mac, Windows, and Linux,

Yep. That's cool, I knew he was working on the Mac version but didn't know it was out...

Vox Gnus wrote:Kawai recently gave him their blessing to continue (and logos/sounds to use). And it's free (but please, donate if you like it!).

Ah, that's very cool of them. :clap:

I followed his development blog, it was quite interesting - it looks like he's done a really good job of this one... :thumbup:

Hmm, weird looping issues on the piano sources (eg "Croketts" preset)... I'm fairly sure the K1 didn't behave like that...
Terminator doesn't sound right either, similar source looping issue. Maybe it's not quite ready for primetime yet... flipping through the sounds there are other sample issues that don't sound right either.

Anyway - hopefully he's on the case... :thumbup:

I wonder if I can get my old K1 librarian/editor running in an emulated Atari ST in Hatari on my Mac, talking over a virtual MIDI connection to the K1 plugin running virtually in my Mac... what a crazy modern world we're in! :bouncy:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby BJG145 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:34 pm

Dave B wrote:One of my favourite underrated synths was my old Roland D70. Slim, light, excellent keybed, large display, cool sounds, I loved mine to bits

Yes these were nice. I used to buy broken synths and try to fix them, and this was one I gave up on...but the half that worked was great. ;) (I think faulty keyboards were the most common problem with these.)
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby desmond » Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:40 pm

Nils's K1 plugin is working pretty nicely now - I dug out my old K1 libraries from the SoundDiver Atari days and have imported some of my favourite patches into the plugin - it's nice to have them back.

There are a few that are actually usable...! ;)

I joke of course, it's nice to revisit this thing and great to have one more piece of gear from my past available in my DAW...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby IAA » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:38 pm

Great news! I loved three sounds on the K1. The choir, a string pad and “orchestra” IIRC the latter I used in the mellotron brass type way to completely blow the guitarist off the stage :D it was a good loud sound and with some s330 strings under it you could half believe you were at the cutting edge of synth technology!
I’m going to download this, thanks for the heads up, I’ll gladly donate too.
IAA
Frequent Poster

Previous