You are here

synths to patchbay

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

synths to patchbay

Postby forumuser761267 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:30 pm

hi all,

I'm trying to connect up synths and drum machines to a db25 bantam patchbay. it's tricky because along the way, the signal goes from unbalanced to balanced.

here is what I have come up with so far:

4 stereo synths or drum machines -> ts to xlr male loom -> xlr female to db25 loom -> patchbay

should this work? would anyone care to shed some light on if there's a better way to do this? the patchbay doesn't have to be db25, but it does have to be a bantam, tt, 96 point.

i imagine the easiest way is to solder and cable up the patchbay myself, but i don't have the skills.
forumuser761267
New here

Re: synths to patchbay

Postby Luke W » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:24 pm

It will work, but there's little point in converting to XLR along the way if they'll just be used as links to another connector. It'll cost more and add another potential point of failure with no added benefit to you.

The simplest option in my mind is to use a standard TRS patchbay, and link up your synths/drum machines via normal TRS cables, is there a particular reason you need a Bantam bay?

There's lots of ways to make it work, but as you've already guessed, some will require you to solder (or order) some custom cables.
Luke W
Regular
Studio - Techical Audio Services - Bespoke Construction

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:02 am

+1 WRT the XLR bit, why bother?

Are you intending the patch bay to be normalled, (i.e. the outputs from the synths are routed to desk or interface inputs without patch cords inserted, patch cords are only needed if you want to send a synth to a different input)?

96 point is a fair number of inputs and outputs, I'm guessing you are using a big(ish) analogue desk?

¼" patch bays usually come with TRS on both sides so a simple TRS-TRS or TRS-XLR loom will connect it to the desk's line inputs and outputs making it easy to reconfigure without getting the soldering iron out. Plugging an unbalanced source will usually just work and having ¼" jacks on the front and back means you can do that using stock cables.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Arpangel » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:52 am

It’s understandable to get concerned about all this, but not necessary.
I changed over to balanced bays recently, it makes no difference, Imagine you’re plugging an unbalanced synth into a mixer, same thing, that always works, doesn’t it? Even though it’s a balanced line input, pin 3 will automatically be shorted to ground anyway.
I just plug my unbalanced sources into my balanced patch bay and that’s it, most of the time you won’t have any problems. If you do, cross that bridge when you come to it, and there will be someone here to sort you out.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster