You are here

Recording Noise in Adjacent Rooms.

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Recording Noise in Adjacent Rooms.

Postby gdaigon » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:35 pm

I live in a basement condo in a townhouse apartment. Above me lives a very noisy teenager who stomps around for long periods of the day and late evening. I am trying to record his noise so I can make my case before the condo board. I purchased a Blue Yetti microphone and mounted it on a stand that reaches to within about a foot below the ceiling where the kid does his stomping. I have the volume nob turned all the way up, the GAIN nob turned all the way up, and have the setting set on "omnidirectional" as recommended. The Blue Yetti mike picks up noises within my room and in the rest of my apartment very clearly. However, it barely picks up the noise of the kid, even when he is stomping directly above me. This was the most powerful microphone on stock in Guitar Center. Does anyone know of a microphone better suited to record noises in adjacent rooms? I would appreciate any helpful information you may have.
gdaigon

Re: Recording Noise in Adjacent Rooms.

Postby CS70 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:06 pm

Your problem is likely that the Yeti won't pick much below 75Hz, probably starts rolling of before then, and the stomps you hear are mostly below that frequency. The little high frequency that there is is dissipated quickly. You may get more of it if you put your mic really near the ceiling (like, 1mm near) and you're lucky that the kid jumps directly over it. In other words, not really worth trying.

Measurement microphones (say the Earthworks M50) may give you something but they don't come cheap. And then you'll have another problem - findiing a playback system that can actually reproduce these frequencies in such a way that they are discernible... which is even less cheap.

Even if you did, you would still have some random recording and if the neighbors deny, it'd be your word against theirs. If they don't deny - or they are simply unaware of the discomfort they create, it's best to talk with them. In other words, the main way to handle these things is to talk with the neighbor, or talk with the board. If the noises have some predictable periodicity, you could ask a member of the board to join you.

Technically is doable, but expensive and without a chain of custody it wouldn't' really prove much.

In some countries there are government institutions to help with these things - but it's usually not an easy path to take anyways, and not a fast one.

Maybe someone will have some better ideas.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Re: Recording Noise in Adjacent Rooms.

Postby gdaigon » Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:33 pm

Thanks for the information.
gdaigon