You are here

Best Strat type guitar £400 budget

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Moderator: Moderators

Best Strat type guitar £400 budget

Postby w oxo cube » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:45 pm

Hi I'm looking to to pick up a strat style guitar with a budget of around £400 give or take.

Due to being an electronic music type I've not really kept up with guitar tech for the last 20 years. The last I heard Japanese manufacturing was equal to US and you could get a very nice instrument for much less.

With that in mind and in deference to your superior knowledge, which guitars should I be looking at.

Best
w oxo cube
Regular

Re: Best Strat type guitar £400 budget

Postby blinddrew » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:14 pm

At that price there are plenty of good options from the likes of Squier, Yamaha, Harley Benton (Thomann's own brand), Ibanez, and probably half a dozen others as well.
You've probably got to work hard to get something bad really.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:15 pm

You won't get a new Japanese made guitar for £400 these days* but my goto electric is a bitsa Strat I built a few years ago from with Korean Squier neck and, mostly, Chinese parts. I'd suggest either a used Squier Strat or, if you are happy with a SuperStrat style, a Yamaha Pacifica. In both cases avoid the very cheapest Chinese or Indonesian built instruments (Squier Affinity or the 'Strat') as QC is variable to say the least but better Chinese built instruments are pretty good.

If you definitely want new then the Vintage brand guitars (Vintage V6 is their Stratalike) from John Hornby-Skewes are generally pretty decent and are within budget.

* Early '70s Japanese guitars were often pretty poor too so don't be tempted by a very old Japanese instrument unless you are confident you can weed out the duff ones.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Wonks » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:49 pm

Unless you buy used, you are unlikely to get even a soft case/gig bag with it at that price, certainly not a hard case. If it’s home use only, that may not be an issue, but budget for one if you need. one. You may well get a discounted one with the guitar.

You could almost certainly pick up a used Mexican Fender Strat for £400, but the quality levels between the lower priced Mexicans and the upper level Squiers are rather blurred.

Are you an experienced player and so know what you want/like if you play it?
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby zenguitar » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:52 pm

With guitars it is always best to play before you buy. And no matter how good quality control gets, no two pieces of wood are the same.

Best put aside an afternoon to spend in a well stocked shop and play all the Strats in budget until you find one you connect with. Don't worry too much about set-up, that's easily tweaked and the shop might agree to set it up for you to close the sale. So err towards the guitar that sounds best when you play.

And make sure you play them unplugged first. The better it sounds unplugged, the more likely it is to sound good plugged in.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
liberté, frivolité et vanité

Postby Wonks » Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:17 pm

And any need for an amp, or is it for use with a computer, audio interface and amp software?
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Agharta » Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:32 pm

The Fret-King Corona SP is worth a look due to them sometimes being available a lot below list on ebay and direct with some retailers.
Agharta
Jedi Poster

Postby S2 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:45 pm

Something a little different but how about one of the Sire guitar range. I've not played one but I play a Sire bass (fretless) and it's easily better than my Fender Jazz Mexican and far nicer to play. Once the fretted ones come back in stock at Andertons I shall buy one.

I've just looked and the guitars are £499 so maybe a stretch but perhaps go and try one out.
S2
Frequent Poster

Postby tomas_man » Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:51 pm

You light want to check out Révélation Guitars, a company funded by Alan Entwstile, really Nice mics and body. I dont know the strat modèles but I owe anotjer model and I must have paid it around 400 Euros in France.
tomas_man
Poster

Postby DC-Choppah » Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:50 am

I would get a used, Peavey Falcon (an American made guitar) for a Strat at your price.

Here is an example.
https://reverb.com/item/36550819-usa-pe ... yle-guitar

This is a legit instrument, and does what a Strat does. Very well made, and very much sought after on the market. Surely you can find one to try.

I confess I sold mine when I found out how much it was worth. It had gone up in value. So I bought a real American Fender Strat instead.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby John Egan » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:44 am

w oxo cube wrote:Hi I'm looking to to pick up a strat style guitar with a budget of around £400 give or take.

Have a look at the G&L Tribute Strats. They are good value and Guitar Guitar have some in their clearance section.
Regards, John
John Egan
Regular

Postby Murray B » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:21 pm

I've not got a lot to add to all the previous advice and you should be able to find a really nice guitar for the money, especially if you are going second hand.

I suppose factors to consider are:

How long do you want to spend looking...finding the right guitar can take a while in the second hand market.

Are you budgeting for a set up from a luthier (almost always worth it)?

Do you want something that will keep it's value?

Fender's tend to hold their value better than some other manufactures if you are buying new. However this fact is a bonus if you are buying other makes second hand. You'd get one of the really fancy Yamaha Pacifica's (6 series) for your budget second hand for example.

Quick google search found this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-PACIFICA-PAC604-Electric-Guitar/154218805410?hash=item23e82838a2%3Ag%3AvGkAAOSwfw5fw8R3&LH_ItemCondition=4

Trouble is there is too much choice - but the higher end Yamaha's are pretty much universally recognised as being great guitars that offered really good value for money when they were new.

If you haven't guessed it already I used to have a guitar acquisition problem which I have now mostly left behind me, however it's fun to revisit it vicariously through your post. :D
Murray B
Regular

Postby Wonks » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:34 pm

Is there a particular reason you said 'Strat-type'? Do you particularly want a Strat, or is it single coils or the general shape you are after, or maybe a lighter weight than compared to say a Les Paul style, or a mixture of some of those?

Do you know enough to expand the requirements a bit, for as you can see, there's a very wide range of options available at the moment with just 'Strat-like'?
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby w oxo cube » Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:50 pm

Thanks folks plenty of great advice to help steer me through the valleys of the strat.

Wonks wrote:Is there a particular reason you said 'Strat-type'? Do you particularly want a Strat, or is it single coils or the general shape you are after, or maybe a lighter weight than compared to say a Les Paul style, or a mixture of some of those?

Do you know enough to expand the requirements a bit, for as you can see, there's a very wide range of options available at the moment with just 'Strat-like'?

I'm looking at a strat as the type of music for my new project is disco/funk and will be 95% chugging rhythm style. The clean, single coil neck pickup sound kinda screams strat. I would defo take it to be professionally set up to get the action super low.

I remember playing a Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette in my teens and that guitar is about as close as it comes to being perfect as it get for me. However the long suffering Mrs Cube would not agree with these expensive and nostalgic sentiments.
w oxo cube
Regular

Postby Kwackman » Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:14 pm

w oxo cube wrote:I remember playing a Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette in my teens and that guitar is about as close as it comes to being perfect as it get for me.

What about the Stirling guitars.. eg
https://www.andertons.co.uk/brands/musi ... mint-green
Kwackman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Cubase, guitars.

Next