You are here

Live bands and effects

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Live bands and effects

Postby mountain lion » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:01 pm

Hi

I was wondering, when you listen to a live band or watching a music show on tv is the sound Being mixed with eq compressors and reverb?

Thank you
mountain lion
Regular

Re: Live bands and effects

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:22 am

Usually, yes.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:27 pm

Even at the 'grass roots' end of the live gig world eq and reverb have been commonly used for many years. Compression was less common but with the advent of digital desks it too has become common even for pub bands.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby blinddrew » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:57 pm

Especially if compression means squeezing into the corner. ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:21 pm

The corner? The corner? Luxury, when I wer.....
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby MarkPAman » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:02 am

Did I ever mention the party in a small pub when the bands were so "compressed" that the bass amp had to be on top of the trap door to the cellar? Every time a barrel needed changing the band had to take a break!

That pub is now on my "never again" list.
MarkPAman
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:06 am

It depends, on the music, and the venue.
I've seem countless bands at my local pub before it closed down, and I’d say hardly any, maybe one or two, actually used effects on the PA, of any kind.
They normally had an older generation of amp/mixer head, with no built in effects, and a very basic EQ. The prime requirements were that the gear worked, and they could be heard.
I did see a prog/stadium rock type covers band there once, and they were using loads of effects and it sounded terrible, it just made them sound muddy and blurred, bad use of effects.
In small/medium venues and pubs, it’s best to be very cautious about using things like reverb, I think a dry tight sound is the order of the day for most people, with only essential corrective EQ if it’s really necessary
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:25 am

Amusing anecdotes a-plenty... :lol:

... but It would appear that the O/P was asking if when watching on TV the sound you're hearing has been tweaked by the production company/broadcaster between performance and transmission...

... to which, as Hugh indicated, the answer is almost always, "Yes".
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:32 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:Amusing anecdotes a-plenty... :lol:

... but It would appear that the O/P was asking if when watching on TV the sound you're hearing has been tweaked by the production company/broadcaster between performance and transmission...

... to which, as Hugh indicated, the answer is almost always, "Yes".

True but before that he also said
when you listen to a live band
and did not specify what kind of venue.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:40 pm

That's the good ol' English language for you... it can be interpreted in so many different ways... your flexible friend! :lol:

Eg: "I went for a tramp in the woods."

I read the O/P meaning that he was watching either a live band or a music show, but both on TV.

Unless the O/P reappears we'll never know what he/she meant! :)
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:49 pm

:D

"Eats shoots and leaves" vs "Eats, shoots and leaves"
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Mike Monte » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:58 pm

Arpangel wrote:It depends, on the music, and the venue.
I've seem countless bands at my local pub before it closed down, and I’d say hardly any, maybe one or two, actually used effects on the PA, of any kind.
They normally had an older generation of amp/mixer head, with no built in effects, and a very basic EQ. The prime requirements were that the gear worked, and they could be heard.
I did see a prog/stadium rock type covers band there once, and they were using loads of effects and it sounded terrible, it just made them sound muddy and blurred, bad use of effects.
Reacting to the above statement: nothing sounds more "hack" to me than a live band's vocals totally wet-with-'verb.
It's almost like the band's lead vocalist scrolling through the PA's effects setting: "let's see; large hall....nope, small hall...not tonight, delay, (What's that?).....ah, here it is: KARAOKE, that's the one..." lol

/pre-coffee musings
Mike Monte
Regular

Postby mountain lion » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:37 pm

I was wondering about shows on tv that could have been processed in post production but Also about the emmidiate sound of a band. And shows like idol are sent live right?
Does this make ANy Sense?
mountain lion
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:44 pm

Any band/performers performing 'live' for TV will be processed to at least the same degree as they would on a large festival stage (given the more controlled environment probably closer to the processing used on the recorded versions of the songs). So, yes, the full monty, eq, compression, reverb, delay and where appropriate/necessary, time based fx like chorus and flanging etc and autotune will probably have been used.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby mountain lion » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:23 pm

Can a computer be used for this processing or is it too slow so you have to use a hardware mixer?
Can you use lets say slate or waves plugins for this ?
mountain lion
Regular

Next