You are here

Altering the "tape speed" with Cubase

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Altering the "tape speed" with Cubase

Postby Fishnish » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:52 pm

I'm trying to recreate a sped up/slowed down effect with Cubase, something like the one used on Rain (and lots of other tunes) by the Beatles.

I have a backing track, in A, built on virtual instruments, I'd like to slow it down and drop the pitch to be in G, to give it some extra weight.

Then I'd like to slow it down further (to be in F) to record some vocals, then speed it back up to be back in G, the end result being that the backing track will sound slowed down but the vocals will sound speeded up.

The pitch shifting is very simple to do in Cubase of course, but it sounds pitch shifted, and I want it to sound slowed down/sped up. It's easy to alter the tempo without the pitch too of course, but that's not what I'm after here

I guess if I render everything to audio there will be a way to do it, but does anyone know of another way?
Fishnish
Regular

Re: Altering the "tape speed" with Cubase

Postby The Elf » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:10 pm

You could try the 'Tapestop' plug-in. But also, make you you do not allow Cubase to apply any stretching algorithm when you change sample speed.

It never ceases to bemuse me that it is so simple to apply time-stretching/time-warping these days, yet for simply changing speed like a tape-recorder you have to jump through hoops!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Fishnish » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:23 pm

The Elf wrote:You could try the 'Tapestop' plug-in. But also, make you you do not allow Cubase to apply any stretching algorithm when you change sample speed.

It never ceases to bemuse me that it is so simple to apply time-stretching/time-warping these days, yet for simply changing speed like a tape-recorder you have to jump through hoops!

Thanks, I'll have a look at Tapestop. And investigate the pitch shifting settings on Cubase a bit further.
Fishnish
Regular

Postby The Elf » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:50 pm

Fishnish wrote:And investigate the pitch shifting settings on Cubase a bit further.
I think it's the Pitch Shift process you'll need, but switch off the time correction.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.