You are here

Your muckabout guitar?

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Your muckabout guitar?

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:45 pm

I can't think of a guitar I regret selling and none of the eight I have now are up for sale. The only one that might be up for change would be my Mountain D45 copy, I would move that on for a Collings D2H if one turned up at a relatively sensible price.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby CS70 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:39 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:I can't think of a guitar I regret selling and none of the eight I have now are up for sale. The only one that might be up for change would be my Mountain D45 copy, I would move that on for a Collings D2H if one turned up at a relatively sensible price.

"Collings" and "sensible price" have nothing to do with each other.

But extra points for the "relatively" :lol:

Beautiful instruments tho.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Luke W » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:50 pm

I've got an old Blade Delta (Tele style) that I got for cheap which was my go-to guitar for things like pub jam sessions (remember those?!) where I could worry a little less about taking my eye off of it or leaving it out on a stand with clumsy people around, so I'd probably count that.

I'm one step away from having the sofa and letting my acoustics sleep in my bed, no "muckabout" guitar there, yet...
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Studio - Techical Audio Services - Bespoke Construction

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:52 pm

CS70 wrote:
Sam Spoons wrote:I can't think of a guitar I regret selling and none of the eight I have now are up for sale. The only one that might be up for change would be my Mountain D45 copy, I would move that on for a Collings D2H if one turned up at a relatively sensible price.

"Collings" and "sensible price" have nothing to do with each other.

But extra points for the "relatively" :lol:

Beautiful instruments tho.

I played a D2H in a shop a few years ago, £3600 was the price but it had stuck so was, eventually reduced to £2400. Unfortunately, by the time I had made up my mind to, at least seriously consider, buying it it had been sold :headbang: It was the best sounding acoustic I have ever played...
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby CS70 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:04 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:I played a D2H in a shop a few years ago, £3600 was the price but it had stuck so was, eventually reduced to £2400. Unfortunately, by the time I had made up my mind to, at least seriously consider, buying it it had been sold :headbang: It was the best sounding acoustic I have ever played...

I feel you.. had a similar experience once, tried (what I think it was) a OM-28 Marquis and it was amazing and on sale... but not exactly cheap. I'd just bought my SJ Jumbo (which is the other guitar I love the most, but it tends to produce shoulder dislocations :)) so I thought "I'll wait..". Went back two weeks later and of course it had been sold. Regret to this day.
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:09 pm

Yeah, that Collings and a used 1971 single pickup ES175 (from the same dealer quite a few years earlier) were definitely the ones that got away.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Hewesy » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:44 pm

Dynamic Mike wrote:If I could get back just one guitar I've sold, that would be it.

I traded a Martin Backpacker for mine, a local shop used to do random trades if the owner liked the idea enough. The Aria was brand new too and I'd wanted a 335/semi acoustic fo a while.

Lovely guitar to play but I'd always felt the sound was maybe 85% of what it could be. Toyed with the idea of pickup swaps (decided against it when I discovered how fiddly 335 type guitars are to wire) then last year during furlough decided to try some flats.

Bought a D'addario set and just like that the missing piece of the tone slotted in place.

Now it's amazing, through that little Blackstar BEAM with a clean sound and some reverb/trem. Makes hours vanish.

Hewesy
Hewesy
Frequent Poster

Postby Dynamic Mike » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:37 pm

Hewesy wrote: The Aria was brand new too and I'd wanted a 335/semi acoustic fo a while.

Lovely guitar to play but I'd always felt the sound was maybe 85% of what it could be. Toyed with the idea of pickup swaps (decided against it when I discovered how fiddly 335 type guitars are to wire) then last year during furlough decided to try some flats.

Nothing beats them at that price point. The PUP's are always going to be the weak link, but the playability is superb. Mine was a wine red (maroon) finish with gold hardware which was starting to tarnish a bit. Didn't know they still made them & just found one online for £349. Or put that another way an eighth of the price of my Duesenberg... Hmm. May have found my new muckabout :thumbup:
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Innovation usually starts with someone thinking out loud.

Postby blinddrew » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:29 pm

Dynamic Mike wrote:Didn't know they still made them & just found one online for £349.
I think that's what my friend paid for his in 1996...
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Hewesy » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:31 pm

Yeah mine wasn't that different price wise to be honest in 2003/4.

The pickups with the flats have come alive, they weren't dreadful just seemed a little listless.

Mine is wine red but has nickel hardware. I can see the gold plating not being a strong look...

Hewesy
Hewesy
Frequent Poster

Postby BobTheDog » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:28 pm

http://www.iguitar.com/i2000/i2000Model ... Guitar1.13

That’s my workhorse, I have more sexy guitars but that’s the one that gets played all the time and will never be sold.
BobTheDog
Frequent Poster

Postby Dynamic Mike » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:36 am

Hewesy wrote:
Mine is wine red but has nickel hardware. I can see the gold plating not being a strong look...

Hewesy

It wouldn't have been my first choice either but it was a suprise present, so I wasn't complaining. Funny thing is I can't see any TA40 images online with gold harware, just higher spec models. I need a trip to the loft to dig out some old photos because I know it was one of those with lots of writing on the headstock, but can't recall if it had a scratchplate or not.

The only Fx units I had a the time were a Yamaha REX50 & some Alesis micro's, so it would have been around 1987/88 & I think it was around £260 back then.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Innovation usually starts with someone thinking out loud.

Postby paul tha other » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:06 pm

ive an old gibson epiphone pr200 acoustic that ive had since i was 16/18...its totaly wrecked
...the bridge is wonky there are bits missing off the tuning pegs,its been dropped down a flight of stone steps etc...still stays in tune and i love it.every song ive wrote has been done on this guitar..its been with me through everything...its feed me when i was skint i go out busking with it..i LOVE it...i dont feel this way about any other guitar..

i was gonna spend some money on it to fix it up but im pretty sure the guy i use to service my guitars wouldnt be able to stop laughing at it :lol: :lol:
paul tha other
Frequent Poster
http://www.myspace.com/onemanandalaptop

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:39 pm

This guy knows how to muckabout without a guitar ;)

(Also with a guitar, just that he's not playing it)
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects

Postby CS70 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:52 pm

BobTheDog wrote:http://www.iguitar.com/i2000/i2000Models.asp?guitar=iGuitar1.13

That’s my workhorse, I have more sexy guitars but that’s the one that gets played all the time and will never be sold.

$2400, you do not kid when you muck about! Dont dare think of what are your serious guitars :lol:
CS70
Jedi Poster

PreviousNext