You are here

Direct, Simple Question re: Guitar Amp Simulating Software

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Direct, Simple Question re: Guitar Amp Simulating Software

Postby Darren Lynch » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:19 pm

Kuassa Amplifikation Lite. It's a bit old now, but is very simple and to my guitarist ears sounds very good. It is very flexible, using three distinct voices for Clean (a bit vanilla, but not tinny in the least) Rhythm (Deffo Marshall, Open yet crunchy. My fave - sounds very wide screen when dialled in right) Lead (Heavy grind or sustaining lead, your choice). Lite can also use external cab models, which ups the realism. There are no bells and whistle or options beyond the Bass-Mid-Treble-Presence eq. It's very simple and very familiar. Lite does not sound as 'produced' as Guitar Rig or Amplitube, but sits well in a track.

If you hanker for quality and simplicity, check out Kuassa's one amp plugins - The Fender one (Matchlock) The Marshall one (Caliburn). No endless options, no clutter. Maximum rock n roll.

Studio Devil Guitar Amp offers more variety, but again isn't overcooked. They also offer a free amp sim - British Valve Custom.
Darren Lynch
Frequent Poster

Postby CS70 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:57 pm

desmond wrote:I don't find it inspiring getting an all-singing guitar amp/FX emulation thing and having 17 million presets to wade through

Can't agree more!

The challenge is that as a guitarist the sound usually drives what you play, which is the limit of dry signals and DI-ing.

My solution is to simply never look at presets. I treat these units as I would do any amp - have a sound in mind, start will all at "neutral", turn up each knob, starting with preamp and power gain, and see if it gets me closer to that sound or the opposite.

Approached like that, the annoyance is only in learning the damned menu systems (which is why I still love the 11r, it's got all clearly written down so there's nothing to learn).

The advantage of course is that, unlike a "real" amp, once you have a sound you just save it! :D
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby doompalm » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:25 pm

On a tip from someone in this group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/491504691714592 I found that Shattered Glass Audio's ACE - http://www.shatteredglassaudio.com/product/103 in combination with various cabinets sims from Two Notes Torpedo Wall Of Sound - https://www.two-notes.com/wall-of-sound (I've been using the Projector Filmosound IR) gets me close in feel to a real amp. I've been using various pedals direct into the interface for the actual OD/distortion. Total cost $10 USD. I also like using Brainworks' Ampeg SVT-VR bass amp sim as a guitar amp.
doompalm

Postby Gutter Pup » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:29 am

Hi. I'm going to check out some of your kind suggestions. Btw: I should have been more clear, so my question was neither direct nor simple. :roll:

Note: I've been considering amp sim software only because I sometimes want/need to play/record/collaborate over the internet when I am away from my studio & amps.

Again, I don't expect perfection, but it would be helpful to find a decent simulation of an electric guitar plugged straight/direct into a mic'd Fender, Marshall, Vox, HiWatt, Supro, ect., tube amp. Part of this, of course, necessarily involves the elusive reproduction of the percussive effect and sound of the amp speaker(s) really moving because they are being driven/pushed by the amp's volume. Rather than try to describe what I mean, here are a few of many examples (btw: If you aren't yet familiar with these guitarists and/or the equipment they used, you might wanna check 'em out someday ! ) :

- Gibson SG (with humbucking pickups) into cranked (max volume) Marshall amps
e.g. Eric Clapton w/Cream - 1968 - "Crossroads" from the "Wheels of Fire" album
- Fender Stratocaster (single coil pickups) > treble booster pedal > cranked Vox AC 30.
e.g. Rory Gallagher - "Messin' with the Kid", from his 1972 "Live in Europe" album.
- Fender Stratocaster (single coil pickups) + Gibson Les Paul (humbucking pickups),
into vintage Fender tweed Champ amps:
e.g. Clapton & Duane Allman - 1968 - "Why Does Love Got to Be So Sad", off
the "Layla" Derek & the Dominoes album.
- Carlos Santana - "Samba Pa Ti" from the 1970 Santana band's "Abraxis" album
- Guitar/Amp used = debated: possibly a Gibson Les Paul Custom (humbucking
pickups) or Les Paul Jr (P90 single coil pickup) through wah-wah pedal (in fixed
position) into Fender Twin amps and/or Randall Smith modified Fender
Princeton amp.
- Gibson ES 335 (semi-hollow body, with humbucking pickups) into vintage Fender
Deluxe tweed amp
e.g. Larry Carlton (as session guitarist) on "Kid Charlemagne" from Steely Dan's 1976
"Royal Scam" album -
- Anyway, sorry for the above incessant dribble . . . it's late . . . : >
Gutter Pup
Poster

Postby al_diablo » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:45 pm

Just wondering if the Strymon Iridium might be a good choice to look at: they apparently tried quite hard to get the feeling of an amp, into a cab, in a room, and I think the options are slightly more limited than some amp sims - 3 amps each with 3 cab/speaker combos.

It's hardware, not software, but does seem like it might be useful to check out.

I haven't used an amp sim for a while but I do own guitar rig, and found it worked best trying to use it like I would use a real amp - from scratch with no presets
al_diablo
Regular

Postby Frank Rideau » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:30 am

What about impulse responses (I'm asking really) ?
Frank Rideau
Regular
http://soundcloud.com/orgasmo-sonore Revisiting Obscure Film Music

Postby rockydennis » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:16 am

How about a Tech 21 SansAmp GT2? It's an analog pedal, not digital. Cheaper than a lot of plugins, though it's just amps and no effects. Plus, unlike plugins, you can find it used at a discount.
http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/sansamp/gt2/
rockydennis
Poster

Postby uselessoldman » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:28 am

oh but Frank that is what most modern amps/cab sims are based around, hence no difference to any good sampled Kontakt library. Celestion themselves have their own speaker IR samples (algorithm) available on their website should you need or want to try them out.

From my own experience you cannot emulate the feel and tone of a Vintage30 without actually using one, nor G12T G12H or any other specific speaker for that matter. Some will argue the same about amp emulation, BUT I would argue different, I do believe some of the amps sims out there through say a Vintage30 can sound pretty decent and extremely close to the original if you are using a good quality power amp. That is why I bought and own various pairs of speakers, I found you needed them but you did not necessarily need all the amps sims are good enough
uselessoldman
Regular

Postby resistorman » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:29 am

CS70 wrote:Hardware, find a used eleven rack with the latest firmware in working order. It’s unbeatable in terms of what it does and price (now), and if you can’t get proper sounds out of it,, it’s not the unit. It makes recording in a DAW a breeze with the same feel as an amp.

Though you need to use the analogue or spdif out and not as an interface (AVID drivers suck)

Software, there’s plenty of free stuff that you can download?

You’ve piqued my interest in the 11, especially since I see they’re around $200 here in the US. I have NI Komplete with Guitar Rig, but I always have to deal with latency. Wondering how it stacks up (ahem) sound wise against that. I wouldn’t use the usb btw.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby resistorman » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:10 pm

Well, I ordered one for a little over $200. I figure I’ll be able to sell it easily if I don’t like it.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby CS70 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:43 pm

Exactly - ridiculous price. You're in for a good surprise, especially if you are used to battle with latency.

I hope the one you got has the latest firmware and the expansion pack installed - most do by this time (they're "latest" but pretty old by now), but just check.

As usual, most of the presets are a bit over the top, so after skimming them you want to build your own patches. Best to do on speakers rather than headphones.

And the best is that it's a perfect DI machine, over S/PDIF one of the channels is wet, the other is dry..
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:01 pm

Gutter Pup wrote:
Rather than try to describe what I mean, here are a few of many examples (btw: If you aren't yet familiar with these guitarists and/or the equipment they used, you might wanna check 'em out someday ! ) :

- Gibson SG (with humbucking pickups) into cranked (max volume) Marshall amps
e.g. Eric Clapton w/Cream - 1968 - "Crossroads" from the "Wheels of Fire" album

I agree that nothing beats the immediacy of a nice tube amp, but keep in mind 99% of the sound on these tracks is the guitarist. Give Clapton an overdrivable amp and any guitar and he'll be able to make the Crossroads sound no problems (I love that version and misspent a lot of my youth playing it for hours in front of the cassette player).
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby uselessoldman » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:11 pm

Question is can any of the amp sims produce that dynamic warm smooth distortion that makes a valve amp so uniquely sensuous? Clearly that is the challenge as that is the penultimate sound any musician wants expected and desires. But its not just the amp that creates that tone, your speakers are also JUST as critical and why its best to use a amp sim in conjunction with G12Hs if that is your target tone (in reference to Clapton).

Like a Boss Katana that some people rave about, is it good? Yeah its OK, for the money its nothing special. A box of tricks, something Boss have always been masters of so you would expect it to sound good.

In fact its two amps that create those warm smooth uniquely value tones. The initial saturation gain of the pre amp and the drive of the power amp. But I would still argue that quite a few amps sims do a pretty good impersonation !!
uselessoldman
Regular

Postby resistorman » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:47 am

I look at amp sims like any other plugin simulating analog gear. Does it sound good? Does it inspire me to create and mix music? Who cares if it’s 100% accurate...
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby resistorman » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:50 am

CS70 wrote:Exactly - ridiculous price. You're in for a good surprise, especially if you are used to battle with latency.

I hope the one you got has the latest firmware and the expansion pack installed - most do by this time (they're "latest" but pretty old by now), but just check.

As usual, most of the presets are a bit over the top, so after skimming them you want to build your own patches. Best to do on speakers rather than headphones.

And the best is that it's a perfect DI machine, over S/PDIF one of the channels is wet, the other is dry..

The listing said the expansion pack is installed, so I should be good to go. Thanks!
resistorman
Frequent Poster

PreviousNext